ARC. Already the matterhorn seems to have the
Arc AAA beat in temp and throw.

This seems sure to widen the gap.
T'will be interesting to see what they
look like.

MB

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not forget the L0P and for the poorer amongst us the TM-310H.
It is no longer Arc/ Dorcy/Sonic anymore.

Decisions.....decisions.....

Ooh, my poor wallet.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very eagerly awaiting the Pacific, even more eagerly than I awaited the Fenix L0P. If you look at the runtimes, the Pacific beats the L0P with a NiMH, and matches the Arc with a lithium. I'm guessing it's slightly dimmer than the L0P at peak brightness, but after a few minutes, the non-regulated (at least, truely regulated) L0P will start dimming below the Pacific's pancake-flat regulated output.

IMO, the only catagory that the Arc will beat the Pacific is size. Everything else (beam, brightness, color, runtime, and regulation) goes to the Pacific. It's my belief (and hope) that the Pacific will not only be an Arc killer, but a L0P killer. And I love both my Arc and my Fenix (differently, but equally).

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
But since the Ocean is still vaporware, anything is still possible.

Grubbster

Enlightened
xochi said:
But since the Ocean is still vaporware, anything is still possible.

I don't think I would call it vaporware . It will be released in just over a week. That tells me there are working pieces out there and they must have enough parts in stock to deliver the goods. Runtime graphs have been posted and a price is set. I can't wait!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys dont think it will compare to the LOP in throw??

-David

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
you guys dont think it will compare to the LOP in throw??

-David

I would say so. MJ has pictures posted that shows "X VS Pacific" in throw and the Pacific looks slightly brighter. Don't forget the Pacific reflector is slightly larger so that would explain the throw. Another picture shows beam shots and the L0P has more total light output (at least with a fresh battery) Then I look at the regulation/runtime charts and the fact that the Pacific has a momentary switch... pretty easy to figure out which one I want.

Then there is the question of Arc. Well, if you asked me two years ago who would make the first production AAA Luxeon light my answer would of been Arc. They had the technology, the market, the demand but lacked the will. Arc leads in price though... $40 for an AAA-P VS $50 for the L0P or $60 to $65 for the Pacific AAA. As a flashaholic, the only 5mm LED lights left that I will use are red or UV based lights. Everything else will be Luxeons.

Arc is selling all the AAA-P's it can produce... for now. They have two choices with the AAA. Either use only premium 5mm LEDs and price it at the "normal" AAA price point of $30 or go with a Luxeon based AAA. My response would be to drop the AAA-P's price to $30 (it is insane to charge $10 extra for a LED that costs maybe 30 cents more) Once the price is set to half of the Pacific AAA, the demand will still be there so they can fund the new AAA-PL with Luxeon. Hell, drop the "AAA-P" name until the Luxeon version arrives.

The Arc AAA still has a place, a niche in the market. The smallest light with 5 hours of runtime on an alkaline. The Pacific is slightly larger and requires a lithium AAA to match the Arc's runtime. The thing that should really scare Arc is the Pacific's momentary switch. Peak has stated that they would like the AAA and AA single cell models to have multiple light outputs and that momentary switch can easily be replaced by a multi-level switch.

At the minimum, the Pacific and L0P should hasten Peter's plans on the AAA successor... maybe some clues might be forthcoming out of the house of Arc.

mykall

Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
Then there is the question of Arc. Well, if you asked me two years ago who would make the first production AAA Luxeon light my answer would of been Arc. They had the technology, the market, the demand but lacked the will. Arc leads in price though....

Arc (IMHO) does have the nicest build quality of the 3 (Peak, Arc, Fenix) but
they seem hopelessly tied to the purveyors of "swirling blue" for their
LE. They should lead in price, but you get what you pay for.

I'm at a point where I don't think I'll be buying any more "Nicha based"
lights.

I wish PLS would get those (Pacific) pictures posted.

MB

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just not that impressed with luxeons driven at the current levels that the nichias are being driven at. At those levels I'd much rather have a nichia than a luxeon. Not to mention for a decent beam , some kind of focusing device is needed with a luxeon. I just think that there are still alot of flashlight applications where I'd rather have a 5mm. Number one happens to be a small, very durable AAA flashlight. What they should do is build some 5mm packages around low vf 1 watters.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do we have any information on the beam characteristics of the Pacific? I hope it has a nice wide sidespill similar from what I see of LOP pictures. My Arc is a fine light, I just can't stand the blue beam. It's not a blue tint, it's a blue beam, period.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/mj.html

Gee,
Here is the link to the beam shots for the Pacific VS "X" (L0P) The beam is very broad with good throw in comparison with no blue, no swirls...just wonder Luxeon whiteness. I went with the snow LEDs 18 months ago since the Nichias were so aggrivating when making out colors or reading. All the lights I normally use will become Luxeon based in the next few weeks...