Leather Care

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Does anyone have some favorite recommendations for leather care products for car seats? On the Edmunds forum the Lexol name came up. Also, is it best to use separate cleaners and conditioners, or are the all-in-one products just as good? How 'bout frequency of use in hot weather. Thanks for any tips.

Geoff

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I use Kiwi Saddle Soap to clean my car's leather seats. It cleans, conditions and preserves all at once. I do this twice a year. Frequency I guess would depend on environment, etc.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lexol is not bad. I used their Vinylex for a while until it turned bad and I disposed of it.

Currently I use Zaino Z-9/Z-10 ( www.zainostore.com ) on my leather seats. As a rule of thumb, if you clean the leather and color comes off (not dirt) the leather is not coated (most leathers these days are.) So some people get away with using a light cleaner and protectant designed for vinyl/plastics. I find the Zaino stuff has a strong leather like smell to it. I buff it down afterwards to minimize the smell to a level where I like it. Not bad when people comment on my car still having a new car smell after owning it for ~9 months and putting on 16K+.

www.detailersclub.com and www.autopia.org are the forums I visit for my car care needs.

If you have any questions on car care you can PM me. I tried *almost* every product out there for my car's finish if you want to know about that too.

Jason

VWTim

Enlightened
I was recommended to use Lexol on my motorcycle jackets. It's all I've been using for a while now. I hit it with the cleaner once a year, then apply the treatment 2 times a year and it stays perfect. Plus it helps to break in and soften my new hard leather pants/jackets.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's also a product called Apple and another one from Ormid's that specializes in exotic skins and leather. . .Enjoy!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead Here

They have been around since I started detailing (back in 1999.) I never tried it because I don't own a Jaguar, Bentley, Ferrari, or Rolls Royce. Also due to the fact that the leather's used in those cars are most likely (I assume) un-coated leather which allows moisterizers to penetrate it.

Almost all common cars on the road use coated leather (like clear coat for your paint) and don't need something that will break it down and expose the leather underneath it. Sounds like it does more harm than good.

Donovan

Enlightened
http://www.leatherique.com/

The best I have used is Rejuvenator Oil by www.leatherique.com
They have a terrible website! But it is by far the best leather treatment you can buy. They are also very well known for their dye kits to restore old worn leather to like new color and condition. It is the official leather care of the Rolls-Royce owners club (I wish I could be a member!). As well as a favored product of Ferrari, BMW, MB, etc. auto clubs and specialty restoration shops.

DO NOT under any circumstances use armor all or similar protectant on your leather!!!!! This will seal the pores and do much more harm than good!

If you want to find something local, Lexol is probably the best stuff you can commonly find in stores. It is nowhere near as good as Rejuvenator Oil but does condition well without harming the leather.