SUREFIRE L1 2005 Version Beam Shots........would you be happy ?

faco

Enlightened
Just recently I decided to buy my first Surefire Flashlight. I decided on the L1 and can honestly say I am happy in every way except for the Beam Quality. For years I have been reading reviews on SUREFIRE and said to myself I would own one some day and finally do.

SUREFIRE keeps on advertising about Quality and I agree the Quality is fantastic BUT when they talk about "Flawless Beam" "No dark spots or RINGS" "Perfectly focused Beams" "Intense white brightness" etc etc, I just don't see any of that Quality in the beam at all, the bright RING is so bright it is annoying and takes your view away from the (hot spot) if that's what you call it, I'm new to all this
smile.gif
. Just read the 2005 Catalogue and read what they say on the SUREFIRE web site and you will know what I mean, all they talk about is QUALITY. If it didn't have that VERRY BRIGHT RING it wouldn't worry me about the other rings close to the (hot spot) I'm not that fussy at all but if you see the beam you will understand why I am
mad.gif

The first week with the light I was trying to convince myself that the beam was ok (so I can justify the money I spent on it) but I compared beams with other flashlights and couldn't believe a $30 Streamlight Jr 1watt Flashlight had such a perfect beam compared to my $135 SUREFIRE L1, also many other flashlights I have are so much better in the beam comparisons and they all cost under $50.

I bought this Flashlight online from a dealer most of you guy's also buy from but I don't want to mention the name as it's not his fault at all. It's SUREFIRE themselves for allowing crap Quality Control.

What should I do ? I am thinking of contacting the dealer and sending the light back for a replacement. Or should I send it back to SUREFIRE and see what they can do for me. What would you do ?

As you can tell I am
mad.gif
mecry.gif
rant.gif
thumbsdown.gif
Would you be happy with the beam shots bellow?

Sorry for the long post, I just had to finally let it out..................

SFL1a.JPG

SFL1b.JPG

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice beamshots, I too am not a fan of the BQ, I prefer reflectors. How do you like those two stages?

-David

faco

Enlightened
cheapo said:
nice beamshots, I too am not a fan of the BQ, I prefer reflectors. How do you like those two stages?

-David

I like the tho stage switch, I use the low beam around the home and in complete darkness it works fine. When you need more light you know it's 1 step away, Except for "that RING" :thumbsdow I think having 2 or more stages is is great.

What can you tell me about the VG FB1 + KL1, I am thinking about this combo or the KL4 with the VB FB1.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

BBL

Enlightened
faco said:
I bought this Flashlight online from a dealer most of you guy's also buy from but I don't want to mention the name as it's not his fault at all. It's SUREFIRE themselves for allowing crap Quality Control.

What should I do ? I am thinking of contacting the dealer and sending the light back for a replacement. Or should I send it back to SUREFIRE and see what they can do for me. What would you do ?

The problem is not bad quality control or an issue with your L1, it is the TIR-optic. Surefire Leds with optic just are that way. The beamshots are perfectly normal.
There are many people who absolutely dont like this type of beam.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's just a Luxeon behind the optic... that's how the beam is supposed to be. Unless you're 2 feet from a wall, that ring shouldn't bother you at all and out of every single L1 owner in the world that isn't a CPF member, there are probably very few complaints.

If you want a perfect beam with an LED, you should probably consider a slightly textured reflector. The Lux III BOG module produces, in my opinion, a flawless beam... that's my EDC and I do carry it in a 2 cell Vital Gear body but there's no low mode which is the primary draw to the L1.

The 'Surefire perfect beam forever and ever' pertains to their incand bulbs with the stochastic reflectors. I mean, they may apply it elsewhere, but that's where they really mean it.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam is normal. Stop whitewalling (shining light at white wall to check for defects, real or imagined) and go out and use it, it's more pleasant that way.

If you truly want the 'perfect' beam, try the F04 diffuser. This is great stuff and will deliver exactly what you're looking for.

I too prefer the older Surefire L1s with NX05 optical collimator, however some don't like the circle-inside-square pattern they produce.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
faco said:
I like the tho stage switch, I use the low beam around the home and in complete darkness it works fine. When you need more light you know it's 1 step away, Except for "that RING" :thumbsdow I think having 2 or more stages is is great.

What can you tell me about the VG FB1 + KL1, I am thinking about this combo or the KL4 with the VB FB1.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Well.... I really dont like the VG FB1, the first 2 that I recieved were the newer versions with the spring, they both had resistance in the tailcap (the light wasnt as bright as it should be), then I asked for a older version, and it would only work with certain batts, so I replaced the O-ring with one of my own, and now it works like a charm. I dont think you should bother with the VG stuff... but maybe I was just unlucky all three times.. :)

-David

cy

Flashaholic
this topic has come up in another thread. according to Al TIR-optic was result of meeting DARPA requirements.

new surefire optics tightly focus for max throw. but deliver almost no spill, which is I use the most.

personally don't care for TIR-optics, so I vote with my wallet.
much prefer older L1 with optics removed. so17 refector drops in without mod. unscrewing bezel can a chore. huge improvement in beam quality!

chop had nice tutorial on how to open surefire bezels. he's done more surefire mods than anyone else I'm aware of.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
BBL said:
The problem is not bad quality control or an issue with your L1, it is the TIR-optic. Surefire Leds with optic just are that way. The beamshots are perfectly normal.
There are many people who absolutely dont like this type of beam.

Indeed, counts me in as one of the foks that HATE the beam of optics-based Surefires.

Note that the reflector based Luxeon Surefires do have a high quality beam (practically no artifacts except for slight donut holing which is the result of the Lux V leds they use).

magic79

Enlightened
I owned an Inova T1 and T3 before I bought the L1. The beams are similar, but the Surefire seems to have fewer rings...just the one on the edge.

In actual use, I never notice it at all. I really like the flashlight and the TIR rings don't bother me at all.

I think it's all a personal choice. If I was just looking at the wall from 3 feet, it might bother me (just like I can see a slight donut in my L2 at 3 feet) but in normal use I really like the light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I like the idea that 90%+ of the light is in that beam. My KL1 with same optic puts out a great beam, not just a tiny hotspot with high lux, but a huge hotspot with most of the light. I do not depend only one light, so I also carry a VIP, or Chameleon, for more spill.

Bill

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This whole issue is about beam preference. If you need a tight beam then the L1 is a great way to go. if you want a wide beam then get a kl4 head.

I actually like the glass optical lenses surefire has developed. I think they are cool and high tech.
Shining a light on a wall from 6 inches is not the intended use of this light go outside and use the thing it works great for looking into small dark areas. it gets the light in there with no side spill. some people love it some hate it.
There is nothing wrong with your light and surefire doesnt have crap quality control.

I like all the surefire designs, old and new.
I have 2 of the vital gear single cell bodies. One is the old type which has given me nothing but trouble the other is the new design with a spring which works great for me. It a nice small form factor, I love mine. One has a kl1 the other a kl4. They look good together and between the two beams I can cover anything.
Yaesumofo

faco

Enlightened
Thank you all for making it more clear to me about the TIR-Optics, the reason I took the shot close to a white wall was just to show a clear photo. I did mention crap quality control from Surefire but made it clear I meant that for the beam only, I also mentioned the rest of the light has EXCELLENT quality that I have not seen in other Flashlights except the $20 INOVA X1 with similar optics and no rings at all :huh2:

cratz2, I like what you said about every L1 owner that isn't a CPF member probably wouldn't have any complaints at all.....sometimes it doesn't pay to be too fussy.

Now that I know a little more about the TIR-optics I appreciate the light allot more, as for using the flashlight outdoors the beam is fine. I am going to order the beamshaper for it as well. There is a good side to my complaint......I'm now looking for a new flashlight to add to my collection and keep my L1 company :)

Thanks for all your replies

faco

Enlightened
Thank you all for making it more clear to me about the TIR-Optics, the reason I took the shot close to a white wall was just to show a clear photo. I did mention crap quality control from Surefire but made it clear I meant that for the beam only, I also mentioned the rest of the light has EXCELLENT quality that I have not seen in other Flashlights except the $20 INOVA X1 with similar optics and no rings at all :huh2:

cratz2, I like what you said about every L1 owner that isn't a CPF member probably wouldn't have any complaints at all.....sometimes it doesn't pay to be too fussy.

Now that I know a little more about the TIR-optics I appreciate the light allot more, as for using the flashlight outdoors the beam is fine. I am going to order the beamshaper for it as well. There is a good side to my complaint......I'm now looking for a new flashlight to add to my small collection and to keep my L1 company :)

Thanks for all your replies

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
personally don't care for TIR-optics, so I vote with my wallet.
much prefer older L1 with optics removed. so17 refector drops in without mod. unscrewing bezel can a chore. huge improvement in beam quality!
What a coincidence. I just dropped a 17mm reflector into an old style L1. I put a couple small dings in the anodize trying to get the bezel open. :( After I put in the reflector, I was disappointed to find a really nasty looking beam. It's full of rings and there's a big hole right in the middle. It reminds me of a Mag. :sick2:

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to trim down the three little legs on the back of the reflector? I'm almost tempted to try to wash it in a mild soap & water bath, but I know that letting anything touch the silvered part is death. How come this reflector looks so crappy? Did I get a dud? I've got reflectors in my Fenix, my HDS, and even my Dorcy Super 1 Watt, and they all look nearly flawless.

livingaboard

Banned
FredM said:
I thought it used the exact same optic as the KL1. Why isn't it a square beam?

MY new L1 bought last month does have the square beam with a seemingly newly acquired small dark spot in the center. When the light is held close to a surface and turned on it appears round but as you pull the light away the beam is obviously square.

LowWorm

Enlightened
faco, I'd be bothered by that beam, too, since my lights unfortunately see more indoor use than out.

My SureFire L4 has what I'd characterize as a really nice beam. It's a little on the green side of tint, but it is smooth from hotspot to spill, has a really impressive flood, and the donut isn't noticeable unless it's a few inches away from a wall. Equipped with a two-stage Aleph switch, it makes a great all-purpose light for me.

I'm speaking only for my L4, but it seems like many L4 owners are very satisfied with the characteristics of this light.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I was dissapointed with my L1's beam as well....not the rings but the odd non-uniformly colored squarish beam. The F04 diffusor solved it and brought the beam quality up to the level I was used to with my various Surefire incandescent lights. It reduces throw a little, but creates a really nice even wash of light. Might be worth checking out.

cfb