Luxeon 1 Watt Emitter Questions ...

Budman231

Enlightened
I bought some Lux I Emitters recently. I purchased the Lambertian version of the emitter thinking that it would have a focused/non-flood beam (ie. hotspot). It doesn't seem to radiate like that.

I'm building a safety light for running at night that uses a astable multivibrator circuit. It will use 2 Lux I emitters. I have Red, Blue, Amber and White and am not sure what color comb. will be best... So here goes...

1. Is a reflector/lens required to get a "hotspot" for a Lux I Lamb ?
2. There are 3 different types, Lamb, Batwing and Side Emitting. What is the difference and at what distance can you notice a difference in the 3 on how they hit the surface of a wall for example ?
3. Heat ? When running these puppies at 350ma, I imagine they can get hot over time. How much do I have to be concerned about the heat these things throw ? I planned to use plastic enclosures to house them. And the actual dome will be very close to the plastic wall of the enclosure.
4. To get maximum visibility at a distance are there any suggestions on how to use them short of just mounting them as they are...?

Thanks is advance for replying ...
Bob

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, you would either need optics or a refletor to get throw out of it, because the Lux I is a dome, and that disperses the light. I dont know about the batwing, but the side emitter doesnt throw as well as a lambertian. As for heat, I think it depends on how big your "contraption" will be and what it will be made from.

-David