Coast Triplex/V-2 lights...experience with or reviews???

sniper

Enlightened
Cabela's has some really interesting lights--what appears to be an LED Mini Mag clone--almost, and of course, the reason for the post. The Coast Triplex/V2 lights seem identical, except for the rubber grip area on the V2, I think it was.

True, it is only 3 regulated (?) leds, but the run time, as stated on the package, seems a bit optimistic. and the information regarding output or throw sems to indicate fairly rapid dimming. How would it compare to the Gerber Trio?

What batteries does it use? If they are some exotic creation, who sells them? They look like AAs in the package photo--almost, and a clerk told me they were, by darn, AAs. But three are shown, and the body is not long enough to take 3 AAs.

Has anyone done a review of the light? Or...does anybody own one, and if so, what are your experiences?

Thanks

livingaboard

Banned
I can only state that I purchased a Coast Cutlery v-2 lenser I believe it was. It was black and claimed to be a 1.2 watt led with a 3 AAA battery carrier in it. The end cap had a clickie on off cap. It is made of machined metal with an oring at the tail cap. The head did not appear to have any o ring or water resistance capability. Also the optics scratch pretty easily. The package also did not state lumens but rather milliwatt output. That was a little odd.

Honestly when I first bought this light I thought it was the best little light. Then I started searching the net and found this site and ordered other lights. That light now sits alone as I do not use it at all. I imagine it would be a good light to take camping or something but this model is not regulated and it really is not that bright.

When I was at Target I noticed that they have a bunch of Eddie Bauer led lights of different design and i'll be damned if they don't look exactly like Coast lights. I believe they are rebranded.

Personally I would not buy a Coast light again just based on the knowledge of lights I have received here but I don't see anything particularly bad about them.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have the 3-led coast light that looks like it would take 2 cells but takes 3-N size cells. Some what of a pain, due to the odd battery,you can get them but not like aaa-aa size. For that reason I just dont use this light,back up in the car glove box only. If I had to do it over I would not buy this light again there is much better stuff out there now. Such as mini mag-w nite ize drop in mod, might cost less too.