Why don't they offer clickie switch options when we order lights ?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all keep commenting that we don't like the clickie switches that they are forcing on us.

Why aren't THEY listening.

Many buyers would prefer the momentary-on type (tactical) .

Switches aren't that complicated or expensive.

When we buy a light , why can't we have the option at that time to specify which type switch we need ? We have consumer options offered to us on many other products we buy . Even which way the refridgerator door swings open is an option. V-6,V-8 or deisel . How many doors you want on that truck ?

Now it's as if no other type switch is is even made - but we know they are.

Three months ago , from the same dealer , I ordered a Nuwai Q-3 (titanium color) . It came with a tactical momentary-on clickie. A week later when I ordered another Q-3 (in green color) - it came with the other type switch .

With all this technology we don't even have any easy sources for drop-in replacement switches that I know of . If we did it wouldn't be such a constant topic on this forum .

Manufacturers such as Fenix , Nuwai ,etc. should at the very least make replacment part switches available for $6 . We can mod it , add resistors and make it two-stage but we can't reverse the way the switch works.

What would it take to get some simple options. Maybe we could all send them some messages. Many have even suggested that the Fenix products were created in response to the "wish lists" and desires of the many members on this forum.

Is anyboby up there at the top listening ?? Many of us don't like your switches .

Could any of the seasoned veterans of this forum make some calls up hi and ask for some changes ?

Please .

Does anyone else agree that choices would be nice ?

Last edited:

zapper

Enlightened
Re: Optional clickie switches should be offered when ordering lights !

I agree. Obviously scale of quantity comes into play when ordering thousands of parts at a time, but make it a 70/30 split. Also, every light mfg. that has any clue about CPF knows that the vast majority of people who do like a clicky switch can't stand a REVERSE clicky !!!

Tjin

Newly Enlightened

well those parts are really fro flash-a-holics. I don't think there is a market big enough to start this.

edison

Enlightened
Re: Why don't they offer optional clickie switches when we order lights ?

TooManyGizmos said:
We all keep commenting that we don't like the clickie switches that they are forcing on us........When we buy a light , why can't we have the option at that time to specify which type switch we need ?.......

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. You do have options. Not ones that you like, apparently.

Option 1 - Vote with your wallet. Companies produce and sell products to make money. Why should Nuwai, in particular, care if you don't like their switches since you bought two of their lights anyway?

Option 2 - Modify or commission. If the light doesn't meet your needs, do what many other CPFers have been doing for years. Fabricate the parts or modify existing ones in a way that facilitates the desired function. If you're not capable and/or equipped for this kind of work, pay another CPFer to do it for you. There are very skilled and attentive modders for hire around here.

Option 3 - Live with it and post about it on CPF.

IonFire

Enlightened

I think its another personal opinion thing myself bro.

I love and adore clickie for the instant gratification they can provide me.
(Tactical type of operation, momentary on with follow through for constant)

I am beginning to believe what another member said about the peeps that frequent here, we're a fussy lot.

Theres no pleasing everybody, its just how it is. A smoke an a pancake, or a bong an a blitz, theres just no pleasing you. j/k

IF

bguy

Newly Enlightened

IonFire said:
I am beginning to believe what another member said about the peeps that frequent here, we're a fussy lot.

People here may be fussy, but it's because they are enthusiasts. The everyday joe that buys a flashlight doesn't know what's available. They buy it, and it works they way they like, or it doesn't, and they don't know how to express their opinion. The people here know how to express their desires, and they do, often. So the manufacturers should listen to the experienced users.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

zapper said:
Also, every light mfg. that has any clue about CPF knows that the vast majority of people who do like a clicky switch can't stand a REVERSE clicky !!!

I agree with many here abouts, we live in a non standard world. You can go broke betting on what we want, these guys need to worry about tens of thousands and more units. I suggest that the vast majority of people haven't the slightest idea what a 'reverse clicky' is, nor care. Nor for that matter, do switch makers.....doncha know we made the term up?

It's true that you have *some* options on new cars, but next to none when you see what you could get from Chevy 'out of the book' in the sixties. There's almost no profit from a single $30 light, a maker could easily loose a lot of money on even a single 'custom' gone wrong.

Tough nut for sure.

Doug Owen

Macaw

Enlightened

I can understand why so many flashlights are offered without clickeys. I view them as a weak point in otherwise very durable designs. It's safer to offer long term warranties with twist-on-off lights. Since the public has been accostomed to lights such as the Mini-Mag, there is pretty much popular acceptance of the design. As stated above, we represent a minority flashlight buyers, and it may not be finantially feasable to accomidate the relative few who may want a deviation from such designs.

There may be a small niche for aftermarket clicky switches for various designs that can accomidate them such as the one offered for the Mini-Mag. Maybe someone will find a way to economically exploit such a niche.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what's cool about buying from Lighthound.com (Surefireparts on eBay) and Blackrifles.com. They let you build the flashlight you want.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I HATE twist switches, even my Surefires are getting replacement clickies. I've never had a click switch let me down, whereas on the other hand I wish I could say the same about twist ones - especially after they've been gathering lint. Why would they be gathering lint? Because it's an EDC...

CLHC

Flashaholic

Why don't the offer optional clickie switches when we order lights?

Because they (SureFire) can. . .

iamerror

Enlightened

What is the difference between a clicky and a reverse clicky?

the_beast

Newly Enlightened

iamerror said:
What is the difference between a clicky and a reverse clicky?

Clicky = turns the light ON when you push it

Reverse = turns the light OFF when you push it

Harder to signal etc with a reverse because you have to remember that push = off. Also harder for tactical use.

Personally though, I prefer a clicky to a twisty, but reverse clickies don't bother me. I never really use the momentary action of my flashlights anyway.

I also prefer the cheap 'the light comes how it comes' route that TooManyGizmos is complaining about. I would much prefer to pay $50 for a light and $10 for a replacement switch than have to shell out $70 to be able to choose the type of switch I want to start with. By providing a light with no options the production costs go down considerably.

iamerror

Enlightened

the_beast said:
Clicky = turns the light ON when you push it

Reverse = turns the light OFF when you push it

I am sorry, I do not understand this. On a clicky switch doesn't the light turn on when you push it AND off when you push it? Is a reverse clickly where you twist for on and then push for off?

Scottiver

Enlightened

Most clickies, when you push the switch halfway the light goes on and if you let go it goes off. This is called momentary on. Only when you push it all the way until it "clicks" does it stay on until you push it in and it "clicks" off.
With a reverse clickie, pushing it in halfway does nothing. You have to "click" it for it to go on. Then, once it's on and you push it in halfway the light goes off and if you let go of the switch it goes back on.
I've never understood the logic behing the reverse clickie. It just makes no sense to me.
I almost exclusively use the momentary on function of my clickies. When i'm out walking my dog at night I just light stuff up for fun and the light is only on for a few seconds at a time. It's much easier to just push the switch halfway for it to go on and simply let go of the switch for it to go off instead of CLICK on-CLICK off.
The reverse clickie is the main reason if have not purchased a fenix light yet. But I probably will anyway.

Last edited:

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Scottiver. That's a great explanation off the differences. Now I get it!

I do wish the new L0P was a clickie (reverse or normal), mainly because I like the feeling and sound of the clickie on the L1P. It would be nice to have the option, although I believe the custom options would be expensive if a company were to support this type of customization in their business model. Heck, a company like McDonalds can barely get it right so it's no surprise that smaller flashlight manufacturers dont do it very frequently.