circuitboard QIII and TM-301X5

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i opened both lights and the circuit is the same:C300-AL5W : in the QIII with a R015 ohm resistor (on 1 123cel) and in the 301X5 with a R030 (on 2 123cells).
On the QIII i measure 0.800A on the battery=0.8x3V=2.4W for the luxIII-some losses in the circuitboard (30%?)= +-1.7W output?
On the 301X5 i measure 0.700A on (2) batterys=0.7x6V=4.2W for the luxV-some losses in the circuitboard (30%?)= +-2.95W output?

So can i replace the luxV in the 301X5 with a luxIII or will it burn out (led)?

Or can i replace the resistor in the QIII , so that the luxIII is driven at 800mA (3Watts)?

Thanks Marc

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't answer your question about putting a LuxIII in the 301X5, but for an EASY way to get more "oomph" out of your QIII, try running it on protected RCR123's (the 3.7V ones, not the 3V ones). It GREATLY increases the output, but has considerably shorter run-time.

PJD

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Problem: i live in belgium, i have been searching for the rcr123a batteries and charger but here in europe nobody sells them, only if i order them in america(lots of costs of sending and douane). The only rcr123a i can buy here are rated: 3V and 600-750mA.
But i have placed in the circuit from the QIII a parrallel resistor over the R015 from R030, now my current from the 123a cell is 1000mA versus 800mA of the original circuit: my output is now better (batterylife not but this is no problem for me).
Problem: i don't know how many mA the circuit may deliver before it dies?
And what about the 123cell, can it hold the higher current ?

Thanks Marc

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
bonhomme said:
So can i replace the luxV in the 301X5 with a luxIII or will it burn out (led)?
My guess, it will be very bright for a very short time ;). The driver is a boost circuit, which is used to raise the voltage (6V battery -> 7V LuxV). If the required V_out is lower than V_in, a boost circuit works as a simple low-value resistor. In the case of 2 CR123A and a LuxIII you´ll get a near direct drive. Depending on the vf-bin of the LuxIII, it may work, but it´s not recommended.

bonhomme said:
Or can i replace the resistor in the QIII , so that the luxIII is driven at 800mA (3Watts)?
I doubt you can get fully 800mA from this circuit. Maybe you can raise it a bit, but I think, the capability of this circuit is limited. It´s obviously a cheap solution for Nuwai, it works in two lights with different luxeons with a simple resistor change and a different battery setup. IIRC, you can´t exactly measure the output current, because it´s not consistent and has lot of spikes etc. ... the output filter is missing, may have been to expensive ;).

I had done some testing and put in a TXOH LuxIII and a VIP-750, a well-built and efficient driver. The battery current was high (1.2A?) and the whole solution was not ideal. I disassembled the light again and put in a Lux with a higher Vf (UYOK :naughty:). Now it´s direct-driven by a rechargeable R123A and it works like a charm for me.

Personally i can recommend the charger/batteries from AW (look at the "Dealers Corner" subforum). I´m using his protected RCR123A (3.7V, 7xx mAH).

Latest posts