Which 2AA flashlights share the MiniMag's head diameter?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who see me walking with a traffic wand on my flashlight sometimes ask me where they can get something like it. So I've decided to carry in my bag MiniMags and 3rd-party traffic wands, to sell at cost. I've just bought a MiniNag at Home Depot for $9.49. What other under-$20 2AA flashlights have a head whose diameter differs by less than a millimeter?

Last edited:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I've decided to carry in my bag MiniMags and 3rd-party traffic wands, to sell at cost.

Geeze man, how strong are you? Your bag must be huge! First the bike lights and reflective tape, now traffic wands! j/k :laughing:

Actually, it is a great thing your trying to do. I almost run over a commuter daily. Train station with private lots scattered around, and they are all walking in the middle of the street with dark colored buissiness clothing while it's getting dark out.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Jr and Legend--great, two great lights with clickies on their tail. Before getting into lithium ion cells, I bought primarily AA lights. I had the Streamlight Propolymer Jr, Pelican's 2AA (with the new lickie), and a couple more.

Last night I ordered a Streamlight Jr. and two of the red traffic wands designed for it. Evidently Streamlight has stopped making the wand; I don't know how many are left. I want to compare that wand with the 3rd-party wand made for the MiniMag and see which lit wand is brighter. If it's Mag, I have no problem mating a MiniMag wand with a Streamlight Jr (or Brinkmann Legend) body.

I just reread Flashlight Reviews' review of the MiniMag. Did I read this correctly--there's no clickie? You have to rotate the head to turn it off and on, thereby defocusing it each time? That would make it totally unsuitable for a traffic cone. And I've thrown away the receipt. Oh, well, there must be someone at work willing to buy an unopened black Minimag with 2AAs.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
coldsolderjoint said:
Geeze man, how strong are you? Your bag must be huge! First the bike lights and reflective tape, now traffic wands! j/k :laughing:
Well, I gave away the bike taillight a couple months ago and never got the headlight. I do now carry a roll of fluoresecent yellow gaffer's tape, but it weighs only about four ounces (112g). Yeah, the bag is getting heavy. I find myself lugging it using the shoulder strap more than the hand grip these days.

Actually, it is a great thing your trying to do. I almost run over a commuter daily. Train station with private lots scattered around, and they are all walking in the middle of the street with dark colored buissiness clothing while it's getting dark out.
In my view, drivers are blamed for many accidents and near-misses that the pedestrian could have avoided by wearing bright clothing, wearing reflective accessories, carrying a traffic wand, and not jaywalking. Bicyclists are little better than pedestrians: They'll nearly run me down when I cross at the Walk light. Its' because of bicyclists as much as car drivers that I carry the wand. In Washington, DC, drivers don't routinely drive through red lights; bicyclists do.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I was just in Meijer and had a quick look for you. The best match I could see was a cheapo MiniMag clone for $6.99. It did have a small clicky on the side however, so it should be ideal for what you want. I couldn't measure the bezel but I held the Mag next to it and they looked identical. I'm afraid I can't remember the manufacturer though and it doesn't seem to appear on the website.

I seem to remember Sears has a similar Craftsman incan that looks about MiniMag sized too, also with a side clicky that looked a bit more solid. I think it was a little more expensive though. I didn't measure that one either, and couldn't do a direct comparison (no Mag available to compare with).

Hope this helps.

AshA4

Banned
Didn't someone mention a three pack of MM clones for sale at ****s Sporting Goods or some store like that a while back? IIRC they had tail clickies and were like $9.99...I've looked several times but never found them. Good luck!

Last edited:

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
AshA4 said:
Didn't someone mention a three pack of MM clones for sale at ****s Sporting Goods or some store like that a while back? IIRC they had tail clickies and were like $9.99...I've looked several times but never found them. Good luck!

I've also been looking for these - I assume they have been discontinued. Which is a shame because I'm spending WAY too much money on Mags to mod.

I think I need to join a support group to help me get away from my addiction. One where the motto isn't 'Buy both and see which one you prefer...'

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a minimag on hand to compare, but the Dorcy 2XAA/4LED I have looks awful close, if not exact.