How can I build an AA extender?

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've got a few 2xAA flashlights that are very similar to maglights... but made by another company (workzone).

Now, I want to make the body longer, so it will take 3xAA batteries so I do my luxeon mod.

Now, is there an easy way of doing this? I've measured the inside and outside diameter of the torch tube, and it's ~14mm and 17mm respectively. I'm guess ing I'd have to find some tubing and make some threads in it with a tap and die? Any hints or tips on doing this?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, just simple tubing from a hardware store or something won't be strong enough. What you should do is turn the extender from a piece of aluminum stock. Then you'll need to thread it. To do this, you're going to need to know what size the threads are. Are the body parts interchangeable with those of a mini mag? If so, the threads are 5/8-28.

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks... I have a feeling my flashlights might have a slightly smaller diameter body, so I'll have to compare them to a real maglight. If they are the same, however, I'll get some taps and dies, and start drilling and threading. :) I'm guessing the 5/8-28tpi thread is the tailcap one right?

The reason I'm using an alternate flashlight is because it has a push button on/off system, which is better for the luxeon mod I'm planning.