unexplained battery failure in infinity ultra

prof

Enlightened
Hello all,

I have a question. I have an infinity ultra (cmg style) that I use a lot. I've been out of town for a bit, and the light has not been used in about a week. The battery was fine before I left, but almost dead when I picked it up yesterday. The light was in a drawer, and was turned off. I do not think anyone used it while I was gone (about 99.99% sure of this).

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this? :huh2:

The battery seems fine (I do not have a tester, so could not check voltage) and is not out of date. I cleaned all the contacts, put in a new battery, and everything was fine. I put the old one in and it is definitely almost exhausted.

I had a similar issue with a 4D mag not long ago, but assumed it had been turned on accidentally since it was sitting under the bed. Could there be a different cause?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've left an Infiinity "in the drawer" with a battery for years with no problem. Maybe the AA was just near the end of its life. There are factors other than use that will cause alkalines to fade prematurely. Excessive heat or cold top the list, but I have even had batteries fail after they were beat up by being dropped or other wise severely physically abused :twak: . Who knows? If it isn't a recurring problem, I wouldn'd lose any sleep over it, expecially since even lithium AA's are rare anymore.

prof

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I won't loose sleep over it, just was curious. I would not want a battery to die when hiking etc if there were a problem.