Newbie reflections and questions

zehnmm

Enlightened
During an elk hunt last fall, I was walking out of some tall timber in a canyon at dusk where you literally could not see your hand in front of you. I used my some 20 year old Minimag to help, but as all of you know that is really not acceptable. Hence I started researching better lights --- and I am now hopelessly addicted. Sigh.

I bought a SF E2E, then bought the KL1 head. I have to say I really like this light --- both on the stock MN03 incandescant and with the KL1. I also have on order an SL TL-3. After seaching the posts in this forum, I noted that I could purchase protected 17500's from AW, along with a charger that could power the the TL-3. I plan to do just that when I scrounge up some dough.

I have another idea that I should like to get your input on:

Buy a VG3 3x123 body, from Lighthound. Put the KL1 on the VG3 (which I understand already has a tailcap on it.) This would allow me to leave the 60 lumen assembly on the E2E, have a 2nd light with the KL1 on the VG3. I could also put the KL1 back on the E2E, whenever I wanted the light weight/EDC, etc.....

Questions:

1. Is it ok for me to run 3x123's in a VG3 body with the KL1? Would I get longer run time? More brightness?
2. Could I also run 2x protected 17500's in the VG3 with the KL1? What run time and brightness should I expect?
3. Should I get the VG lamp assembly as well? Would that allow me to run GP90's and the like with 3x123's? Are there some lamps that I could run the 2x 17500's with?
4. Are there other lamp assemblies or ideas that I should think about for the VG3 and my E2E?

Thanks to all of you!
:)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have good taste in lights... my two main multi cell lights are a 2 cell Vital Gear light with a modded BOG module and a Streamlight TL-3.

I run my TL-3 on protected 17500s. They will technically fit in the Vital Gear body, but it is a very tight fit. They insert slowly, but to take them back out, you need to remove the tailcap from the body and the body from the head so you can push the cell(s) out. Unprotected 17500 or 17670s 'fit' just fine, diameter-wise.

I'm not 100% sure, but the KL1 isn't supposed to be used with 3 123 cells. The Bug Out Gear Lux III module can be run on 1, 2 or 3 cells so in the 3 cell Vital Gear body it could be run on 2 unprotected 17500s (or 2 R123s in a 2 cell body. I used to own a KL1 and, while it offered decent throw, but that very limited and artifact-filled spillbeam while the BOG module offers as much throw and a beautiful, bright and wide spillbeam and an even larger hotspot than the KL1 and is brighter than the KL1.

zehnmm

Enlightened
Thanks for your thoughts, cratz2.

I will check into the BOG Lux III module, too. Also, glad to hear that the 17500's seem to be working for you in the TL-3.

As I see things, the TL-3 for $48 shipped is the lowest cost way to get higher lumens, as quite a few have stated in their posts on CPF.

For the BOG stuff, are there any particular sources/web sites that I should look at when I get ready to purchase?

Again, many thanks!! :) :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was fortunate enough to buy my BOG module from a forum member after he had modded it with an outstanding TW0K emitter so it's brighter than the off the shelf BOG modules which mostly use S-bin emitters if I'm not mistaken. (My above comments regarding brightness, throw and spillbeam still apply to the stock module.)

You can get the module from www.BugOutGearUSA.com and they are on sale for $35. A review can be found here.

I can't speak of mine highly enough. It literally made me stop searching for that 'next better light' so that should say something.