GOT MY U2!!!

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
YAY IT'S HERE. ok heres what ive noticed about it so far in the past hour and half of having it.

2-100 lumen rating on the box
has purple tail clicky "but" black head
the body is the round style
there isn't a plastic tube inside the body to restrict the certain batterys.
-----
ok now for the luxeon and tail clicky lottery

I won the luxeon lottery.

but lost at the tail clicky lottery "BUT" thanks to a thread I found on here it was easily fixed and everything now works flawlessly!!! and couldn't be happier...

thanks to everyone who suggested this light. :rock:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations!

It sounds as if you are pleased with the beam from the LED on the U2. I have one with a pretty noticeable donut hole in the center of the beam.

Do you notice a donut hole in the center of your hotspot? Mine is easily seen.

-Goatee

Lite

Newly Enlightened
Hi lightmeup81,
The Surefire U2 has received a lot of favourable reviews - nice choice.
I was wondering, do you have or did you consider the HDS EDC 60 or 85?They sound like real competitors to the SF U2.
I too am interested in the U2 but have decided to wait a little longer until the HDS EDC 85 is released, again. Especially now that HDS has this twin battery extension.
How long I can wait is another question, though.

Lite.

tracker870

Enlightened
There's always some other fine light coming along.
That said, sometimes you need to dive in and try out what's available.
The U2 is one of those worth considering.

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
The biggest problem with these clicky tailcaps is mostly a contact problem .

Take the tailcap off an look inside . There you will see the shiny ring which is the ground contact , on the outer edges there are three tabs cut into the ring . All you have to do is take a small screwdriver and bend these tabs up a little so they make better contact with the batterytube . Allmost all flickering problems are solved .
You can and I belive should always keep the ends of the tube lubed with contact lube http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nyogel_flashlight_lubricant.htm
so to keep good contact at all times .

I find it funny that this tailcap used on the U2 ( Z59 ) hardly had problems before the U2 came out .
thinking.gif
If it did , I had not read anything about it .

Kenny

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Congratulations ! ... Welcome to the U2 Club ! ............ :naughty:

Lite

Newly Enlightened
tracker870 said:
There's always some other fine light coming along.
That said, sometimes you need to dive in and try out what's available.
The U2 is one of those worth considering.
It's good to hear form some users that the U2 is a worthwhile light.
One of my concerns, though, was the lowest setting at about 10 lumens. Some users have said they would prefer it lower.
I guess it would depend on each user's application.

Lite

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a U2 for a little while now. It's sort of a curious kind of light. It still isn't quite bright enough for serious long distance outdoor use, even though it's the brightest LED light I've seen. The Lux V is just a really big emitter, and it's tough to focus that into a tight spot.

It's too bright for many indoor tasks, and the tint tends to "shift" a lot as you dial it down. I'd like to see it with a PWM dimmer circuit, instead of the constant current driver they're using now.

It's a little too big to fit comfortably into the pants pocket, although that does vary a bit depending on your pants. It's a very nice coat pocket light.

It makes an excellent medium area flood light. Take it into a fifty foot area, maybe a large basement or a dark parking garage. It'll easily light up everything - walls, floor, ceiling, the far wall fifty feet away. Everything is evenly and well illuminated, too. It's quite impressive for that particular application.

I'd recommend you find one to try before your spend the cash on it. Maybe a local dealer will let you test it out in the showroom, or maybe you know a friend who owns one.

cbxer55

Enlightened
Lite said:
It's good to hear form some users that the U2 is a worthwhile light.
One of my concerns, though, was the lowest setting at about 10 lumens. Some users have said they would prefer it lower.
I guess it would depend on each user's application.

Lite

The lowest setting is 2 lumens. I have found it perfect, so far, for navigating around the house in the early AM without waking everyone else up.

Last edited:

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im back had to goto my day job, I'M a flashlight villen by night though so im still cool right? =) anyways lets see if I can answer some questions and respond to comments,

--lite
yes actuly i did consider the hds edc u85 and elektrolumens elx-6 before i was concerned about size. my deciding decision was based on that surefire has been around for a while and has an upfront no hassle if it breaks they fix it policy "on most things" and if i had buyers remorse I could do so at returning it. other than that Im sure that the hds and electrolumens would have been great otherwise, i just need peace of mind.
++++++++
---jar3ds in response to your question i have to say thanks to mountaineer for responding quit quickly to help and what he says is what i did. thanks mountaineer...
++++++++
---pwdrkeg thank's
++++++++
---lite not sure about the u2's lowest setting being 10 lumens cause everything says 2-80 up to 100 on certain ppl's like mine but when i use the lowest setting here for the past day it's usualy to low i need atleast setting number 3 for my eyes because they are bad. being able to run on the lowest setting for 40 hours on a set of batterys will be great if we lose our power again this spring and summer do to a storm so im going to be stocking up on batterys with that said.
++++++
---ty bower couldn't have said it better my self well except for a couple things =)
I like wearing loose pants so it fits quite nicley in my pant pockets "which you mentioned depends on the users cloths and fits perfectly in my inside coat pocket right on target there"
and I don't know if i just got a good U2 but i tested mine out last night and us and our neighbors have an acor of land how do you spell acor? anyways they have a dog cage out near the back of the woods which i measured to be around 200 feet and it lit it up quite nicely.. good observations though.
++++++
--- cbxer55 good idea thanks, i'll use that idea so i don't get caught raiding the fridge at midnight =)

Lite

Newly Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
I'd recommend you find one to try before your spend the cash on it. Maybe a local dealer will let you test it out in the showroom, or maybe you know a friend who owns one.
Thanks for the input.
Do you have any issues with the twisting switch or is it durable?

I only wish I could try the U2 before I buy. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with the U2, and living in Toronto, Canada, you can't find any Surefire dealers - It's crazy.

Lite

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
lite
no problem,

as for the twisting switch I couldn't be happier with its feel i too was wondering how it was made, to describe it has a very smooth tough resistance "no clicking or clicking sounds" and transistions in evenly spaced lighting "meaning each level is noticibly diffrent" I know the feeling of not being able to find a dealer with the U2 one dealer said he could order it for me here but that i would of had to wait till yesterday "monday" in order to order it and then it would take 1 week to get here.
and also i talked to surefire they said if i wanted to since i had a problem with the tail clickie that they would send me a new one and i could keep the old one so i opted in for it just incase i ever have a problem with the current one again. and estimated time before it gets here is 3 weeks. also too if you have buyers remorse you have 30 days to return but have to pay a certain amount restocking fee. but like others will say on the forum just don't take advantage of there hospitality, but lucky and glad that i am %5000 percent with my U2...

l8R

Troy

warpdrive

Enlightened
I am still debating whether it's a worthwhile light. I guess the "gadget collector" part of me likes it because it's Surefire's top LED light, and it costs a fortune, and that multilevel adjustment is too cool. The "mystique" of it makes me want one.

But the practically side of me says there are other lights that will serve my purpose more. Like my current L4 (flooder) if I add a two stage tail, or HDS for the all-occasion EDC. I just keep thinking that the form/size factor for the U2 is wrong for a light that begs to be EDC'ed.

I think if the HDS U85 was available, I'd be more inclined to go for that for about the same money

Lite

Newly Enlightened
Lightmeup81,
It's good to hear that the twisting swith is "solid". I also like the idea of buying from a company with a good return policy - just in case.

Thanks,
Lite

ssb

Newly Enlightened
Lite said:
Thanks for the input.
Do you have any issues with the twisting switch or is it durable?

I only wish I could try the U2 before I buy. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with the U2, and living in Toronto, Canada, you can't find any Surefire dealers - It's crazy.

Lite

Hey Lite,

Have you tried this place, they primarily sell police equipment though distribute Surefire lights:
Nicholls R Distibutors
6325 Dixie Road,
Mississauga, ON
L5T 2E5
Canada
(905) 670-4000

North of the 401 east side in a strip plaza before you get to Courtneypark Road.