• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Easy 2-stage MiniMag switch! (Updated again, for SMJLED kit!)

trivergata

Enlightened
Easy 2-stage MiniMag switch! (Updated again, for SMJLED kit!) no longer available

Due to some problems of late with deals and such, I will only do a very few select mods on an individual basis. Thanks for everyone who supported me in the stuff I've tried to do, but I cannot spend the amount of time needed to pull off this kind of stuff anymore.

Josh

I've designed and built a simple 2 stage drop in for mini-mags that works like an Aleph tailcap (I.E. - Loosen a little for low, tighten all the way for high). It is a simple drop in with one small mod - you have to trim the original tail spring - A simple set of wire cutters will do just fine, and the length is not too critical. The cut spring will still work fine without the drop-in too, so you are not stuck with the mod. If your sandwich is WAY too far out of spec, there may be a little trimming that needs to be done on the contact, but this can be done with any file - even a nail file - in a matter of minutes. I have yet to have this problem, but just in case it does, it's easy to fix - mag bodies vary as do the thickness of sandwiches, so I have accounted for the worst possable case.

This is an easy mod for any beginner, but I think everyone will like it. It has been fully tested with a BB500 and BB750, and should work with any sandwich shoppe sandwich. You chose the resistor value to fit your needs - the change in light level should be the same as with the Aleph 2-stage; I personally like a really low low level, so I have a 100 ohm in my Mini-Mag with a BB750 - it's perfect for nighttime reading, and still bright enough for walking when your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

The following resistor values are available, and I'll consider special orders:
-10 ohm
-22 ohm
-47 ohm
-68 ohm
-100 ohm

I'm offering the drop in for these for $5.00 shipped by normal mail (they are really small and built like bricks, so an envelope is all they need for shipping, and this keeps the cost down). You specify the value resistor you want, and I'll build it and ship within 24-48 hours. I'll include detailed instructions of how and where to clip the spring. If you want the whole tailcap with the spring already clipped, let me know and I can see what I can do.

Here's a shot of the switch installed:

And here's a beamshot (BB750 with a 100 ohm drop-in) - High on the left, of course.

And no - my hotspot is not that big - I kept the camera on the same settings to show the relative difference.

Here's a beamshot comparison; all shots are on the same settings, and use my minimag, stock modded reflector and a BB750:

Update:
Great news - This works with the SMJLED kit! I've tried them all out, and some of the values seem redundant, I guess it's something to do with the efficiency on the SMJ being really stable, which makes it a great kit, bit it takes a pretty good jump in resistance to make a difference in the beam. There is not much difference between full and 10, between 22 and 33 or between 47 and 66.
Here's the same breakdown with the SMJLED kit:

These are a fairly good example of what your eye sees; it will, however be different with other engines.

Josh

Last edited:

habibi

Newly Enlightened
Re: Easy 2-stage MiniMag switch!

Hi there! I think this mod can only be done withe the original mm tail cap and not withe a kroll-switch?
I have a mm with a mm+wo sandwitch1

Regards
Habibi

trivergata

Enlightened
Re: Easy 2-stage MiniMag switch!

That's right - this is a mod for use with the original tailcap. I know some people love the Kroll, but many do not, so here's another option.

Josh

Nell

Enlightened
Re: Easy 2-stage MiniMag switch! (now with pics!)

I am interested in getting two, but no sure of the levels to choose from. I was planning on using one on the M@g mod with the Strion bulb. Not sure how the bulb will like the reduced flow and may flicker...
Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks.

Krit

Enlightened

Cool Idea ....
This is a a start up idea for another application on switch mod.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

You think there's any chance you could do something like this for a Solitaire?

I have a Nichia CS sanded down running on a 10440 cell but initially it draws about 170ma and I'd like that to be closer to about 60 or 80 to 100ma. Doesn't even have to be a 2 stage.

I'm sure I could do it, but I find it endlessly frustrating working on tailcaps and would rather pay someone to do it for me.

Within financial reason, of course.
icon14.gif

trivergata

Enlightened

Cratz2 - I'm sure I could come up with something for you - I've got a solitare at home - Let me look at it and I'll let you know - The single stage would be easy, but the two stage might be a bit tricky.
Price would be about the same, I think.
I'll let you know in a couple of days.

I've also got a C and D cell adaptation of this almost ready to go, which should prove to be really usefull - I'll update after a few more nights of "endlessly frustrating working on tailcaps" :ohgeez:

Josh

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Josh,
These look great. I have a MMMMag and would like a lower setting as I'm using a non-protected #14270 cell and would like to extend the runtime. A lower setting would be the cat's meow as I would normally use the low set. I don't care for as low a setting as you but I think for me the 68 ohm looks intriguing. I'd like to order one and if it works out, I'll order another. Do you take PayPal? Thanks.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

trivergata said:
Cratz2 - I'm sure I could come up with something for you - I've got a solitare at home - Let me look at it and I'll let you know - The single stage would be easy, but the two stage might be a bit tricky.
Price would be about the same, I think.
I'll let you know in a couple of days.

Thanks. No hurry and the single stage would be just fine with me.

trivergata

Enlightened

Gene -

I take paypal at joshua(at)shsu.edu - I just made up a bunch tonight and am about to update my post with beamshots comparing all the values.

Man, this is fun!

Josh

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Easy 2-stage MiniMag switch! (now with MORE pics!)

Josh,
PayPal sent for a 47 ohm switch. I thought I'd try it instead of the 68 ohm. If it works out, I'll get a 68.

Listen Josh, these look really great and take your time making these because if these are good, your name will be gold here.

I think this is a great idea. I hope they work as advertised and get to work on a MM HEAD controlled twist switch. :)

trivergata

Enlightened

Thanks Gene, I dropped it in the mail this morning. BTW, sometimes (depending on the length of your assembly) you can get the switch to work from the front. I have one that works perfectly - when you turn it on (at the head) it comes on high, and just a dash further (not enough to effect focus) it goes low. I don't want to advertise it as a feature, but it does work with some assemblies - if you have a very gentle touch. I figure I could get it to work on any setup, if I had the light, sandwich and the batteries used to custom fit it.

Enjoy!
Josh

trivergata

Enlightened

I have a SMJLED on the way to me now, and when it gets here I will test it and post another beamshot array with all the values. I'm sure it will work, the only question is what will the results be.

We'll know soon - I'll post the results as soon as it gets here!
Josh

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a 22 and a 47ohm kit for my MMag 2-AA.
I am using it with a low VF UV 5mm LED to not only make the batteries last a lot longer, but also to greatly delay the self-consuming nature of the UV LED itself-giving the LED a much longer life!

In arbitrary (just for comparison) units here's what Joshua's inserts did using 2 fresh AA alkalines -measuring 3.2V [total] unloaded:

Reading in mini-lumens FULL-ON:195 units
The 22ohm lowered the output to: 110 "
The 47ohm lowered the output to: 075 "

Following the neat, simple instructions, in 5 minutes I had both of the resistor/inserts working perfectly.

Thanks Josh :thumbsup:

trivergata

Enlightened
no problem Doug - I'm glad you like it, and could post even more specific numbers tham I can.

I think the instructions were overkill, but I'd rather over explain than under explain and leave people guessing.

Have fun!
Josh