Great free virus and performance scan for Windows

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ran across this (apparently) new Microsoft service website.
WINDOWS LIVE SAFETY CENTER

My Laptop has been acting kind of hinkey for a week, so I did some Windows updates and deleted some programs that I don't use. In the process of doing the Windows Updates I found a link to the above site. I think it has only been around about a week, because the Forum there has only a few entries, the oldest dated Jan 23.

Anyway, It will do a virus scan, get rid of, or at least find hidden temporary files, do a firewall port scan, help you tune up your PC etc.

The virus scan found eight viruses files on my computer, seven that Norton AV never found and one in my Norton Quarantine folder that I didn't know about. It managed to clean four of them automatically; I had to manually delete the other four. But at least they are gone, no thanks to Norton, (even though the viruses Safety Live found have been in my Norton definitions for a couple of years, and survived many full system scans; Two of infected files have been there for at least a year. )..

It also found 70 MB of hidden temporary files, deleted half of them automatically and I had to manually delete the other half.

Site is in BETA, but seems to work really well.

Took about an hour and a half for a full system scan on my 20 or so Gigs of files (about 160,000 files).

I don't know if connection speed matters much to the scan time; I'm on 3Mbit cable broadband.

Check it out if you have any doubts about the condition of your Windows Machine if you are running:
Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000 Server.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, or MSN® 9.0.

It is in BETA though, so I can't promise it will work for you as well as it seems to have worked for me!

Tomorrow or the next day I'm going to run my photo editing desktop computer through there... It is not normally connected and I made a conscious choice not to slow it down with an AV program and I uninstalled Zone Alarm because that was causing a slowdown too ...... But lately it has been slowing down too, so this is a good way to see what's up with it free and without installing RAM/ CPU hogs.

Too bad it doesn't work on Pocket PCs too. Mine is acting pretty suspicious too. Guess I'll have to do a 'purge' on it and reload everything. :(

Donovan

Enlightened
I just ran across this as well. Seems like an on demand only version on their OneCare Live which could be a good thing (not fond of even more MS bloatware running all the time!). The one thing I really don't like is it is an activeX component so it only works on IE not Firefox or Opera, but that is to be expected from MS. The good thing is it is just the activeX control that is installed and nothing else.

Do you have a list of those viruses that it found that norton didn't?

Last edited:

Makarov

Enlightened
I believe that this is another of those helpful "add-ons" that Microsoft has made available for those who have licensed Windows. Instead of fighting the people that use illegal copys, they give out a lot of free programs to those who got legal versions. This way they hope that more people want to pay for their copys) The Antispyware BETA is the same thing.

I use the Antispyware from Mircosoft, and I recommend it. Works like a charm. I asked someone I know who work for mr Gates why this Microsoft product came so highly recommended from the software community, and his reply was "It ain't made inhouse..." :naughty:

I also use Adaware, Spybot and CrapCleaner.
Together with the newest Norman package(free from my bank each year) this make my laptop healthy and virus free :)

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...I tried downloading it with IE, and it crashed twice...even with the pop-up blocker disabled.

Oh, well.

Bob

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to post this earlier, but apparently not only was the CPF site slow, but the database or something was messed up because I got an 'invalid thread' error message.

Anyway;
--------------------------------------------
Donovan:
The viruses it found that Norton didn't (even though they have been in the Norton definitions a long time) were three cases of JS/Loop that were in the Zip file of a shareware HTML Editor, the unzipped instalation file of it and in the installed program of it. I downloaded and installed this program (1stPage) about a year ago, so Norton has missed it well over 50 times.

The other one in Norton Quarantine was Win32/Wmfap and had been there for two weeks. So,I was protected from it, but Norton never notified me that I had been hit by it... Don't know how that happened.
------------------------------------------------------
Pedalinbob:

Sorry it didn't work for you.
Maybe you don't have Windows Update fully updated?
Or maybe you don't have your IE 6.0 + security settings open enough for it?
Or your firewall is blocking it?

Or maybe it is just typical BETAware buggy :shrug:
---------------------------------------------------

I haven't had a chance to try it on my desktop comp yet, so I can only say it has worked 1 out of 1 times for me.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
pedalinbob said:
Hmm...I tried downloading it with IE, and it crashed twice...even with the pop-up blocker disabled.

Oh, well.

Bob

A bit of a bummer. I've tried it 6 or 7 times without luck. First, I need to install some active-X control. Then, when I try to do that, I get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.........

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....*record screeches to a halt!

While typing this message, I figured out how to do it. After clicking to install the active-x control, and getting the "IE has to close" message, instead of clicking "send report", "don't send", or "debug", which actually closes out the friggin' window, I just dragged the error message window down which exposed the install button for the scan, and it installed! Voila! I'm now downloading the scanning tools!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it conflict with existing anti-virus software? The MS Spyware doesn't seem to have a problem co-existing with the other anti-spyware programs I have run (Mainly webroot spysweeper) but I generally hear bad advice about running more then one anti-virus program on the pc.

Donovan

Enlightened
Trashman said:
A bit of a bummer. I've tried it 6 or 7 times without luck. First, I need to install some active-X control. Then, when I try to do that, I get the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.........
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....*record screeches to a halt!
While typing this message, I figured out how to do it. After clicking to install the active-x control, and getting the "IE has to close" message, instead of clicking "send report", "don't send", or "debug", which actually closes out the friggin' window, I just dragged the error message window down which exposed the install button for the scan, and it installed! Voila! I'm now downloading the scanning tools!
I had to do the same exact thing to get it installed! Still some bugs in it. I much prefer web tools that use java instead of activex so they work in Opera or FireFox as I avoid using IE. TrendMicro's housecall viruscan is a great example: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Silviron/
Thanks for the info... It doesn't surprised me that Norton missed stuff, it is one of the least effective antiviruses you can use. We used to use Symantec (Norton) on all servers and workstations at my work. We would get hit hard by almost every major virus/trojan that came around. Someone finally wised up and put TrendMicro on our servers (unfortunately still symantec on workstations) and we have been outbreak free ever since.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I got it running over three hours ago after the tips here and turning-off a (IMO) a trial piece of crapware that came with this computer called Norton Internet Security. (I have to turn it off to run the SolidWorks 2006 I installed yesterday or it locks-up to the point of having to use Task Manager to re-boot! :rant: )

Anyway, it has been running over three hours according to Task Manager! ZoneAlarm's taskbar thingie doesn't indicate any activity, but the cable modem's activity Led is blinking, even at idle here. :shrug:

I'd hate to terminate it if it is actually still running. Am I supposed to get a screen when it's done?

Larry