Radio Scanner event

redcar

Enlightened
The ISS and SuitSat will be using the same type of antenna. The ISS puts out 10 watts and the SuitSat will be at .5 watts. So it will be quite a bit weaker. If you have two rigs, tune the other one to 437.80Mhz. The ISS will be retransmitting the SuitSat on that freq if it can pick it up.

At first the SuitSat will appear slightly before the ISS, so set your tracker for ISS and begin listening a few minutes early.

Sorry if you knew all of this already.

I have not talked to an astronaught/cosmonaut, but I have heard them talk to other hams and give school interviews. I am a 'ham' with a packet station and have signed onto the ISS bulletin board, with limited success. I usually use the ISS station as a digi-peater and have worked a dozen or so states, Canada, Mexico and Cuba.

Good luck! Red

InFlux

Enlightened
redcar said:
The ISS and SuitSat will be using the same type of antenna. The ISS puts out 10 watts and the SuitSat will be at .5 watts. So it will be quite a bit weaker. If you have two rigs, tune the other one to 437.80Mhz. The ISS will be retransmitting the SuitSat on that freq if it can pick it up.

At first the SuitSat will appear slightly before the ISS, so set your tracker for ISS and begin listening a few minutes early.

Sorry if you knew all of this already.

I have not talked to an astronaught/cosmonaut, but I have heard them talk to other hams and give school interviews. I am a 'ham' with a packet station and have signed onto the ISS bulletin board, with limited success. I usually use the ISS station as a digi-peater and have worked a dozen or so states, Canada, Mexico and Cuba.

Good luck! Red

Thanks! All I have are a couple of handheld scanners, so that's good information for me!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Red:

What have the conditions been like when connecting to ISS? I remember the wild collisions when contacting Mir years ago. It was nasty. I use mainly an ICV-8000 for terrestrial packet these days. I like the commercial chassis and 75w. Front end is pretty good too. Good luck with your contacts.

73 Frank WQ1O
CCARES DEC

redcar

Enlightened
fieldops,

it is quite a chore getting in, especially when someone signs on to the bulletin board. I don't do that anymore. It's hard to get in, read anything and get out in a single pass. I have learned to keep my packets very short and retransmit them 2 or 3 times hoping one will get through without getting truncated. I only have 25 watts and running a vertical, so I do my best when it is 15 to 40 degrees elevation to me.

If you have your 8000 on a vertical or a beam on a rotor, try to sneak a packet in. Its probably the same setup as was on MIR. If you want more info just let me know.

Hope to see you on ISS.

Red

p.s. While SuitSat is in operation, packet and cross band voice repeater will not be in operation on the ISS.

drizzle

Enlightened
Oh! That's too bad. At least now I won't get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning to try to catch it. (That's when the NASA site said the space station will pass over me next.)

redcar

Enlightened
Looks like it worked for the first couple of orbits, but only very weak.

For most in the US, the first orbit for us will be well after midnight. So no one here would have heard anything yet even if it was working.

Go to www.issfanclub.com to see when the ISS will be over your location. Even if it was working great it would only be over you for 10 minutes at a time. There will be a pass for Eastern Tenn low on the horizon here about 2:30 am. That would be a weak pass even if all was ok. We have another one about 4am that will be almost overhead. Don't forget to monitor the 437.8Mhz FM relay from the ISS. But only when the ISS is over head.

Good luck, and don't hold your breath. Bummer.

Red

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I had 3 different scanners tuned with recorders on each one.
Oh well, the anticipation is half the fun.