Surefire F04 Beamshaper for an E2E

iamerror

Enlightened
Can anyone with an E2E and a beamshaper recommend getting the beamshaper. Does the beamshaper help flood a small room better, or it does not because of the reduced output? Or is the beamshaper only for very close applications, such as reading? I am not sure if it would be worth it to get one; it would be $17 after shipping. Who has an E2E/beamshaper and what do you use it for? (you can also reply if you do not find them useful for an E2e, or use something else like a red filter) Thanks

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened
:wave: Welcome to CPF :wave:

I have a couple of F04 beamshapers with the intended application for upclose type of work. They work out great. I use it on my Q3 all the time and on the E2e occasionally.

Here is a cheap way to demo what the beamshaper will be like...

If you have a minimag that has one of those plastic anti-roll slip-on heads, it will fit on the E2e head. If you take the plastic lens and put Scotch (green) Magic/Invisible tape across it, it will act like a beamshaper and spread out the light. You'll see how it smooths out the beam to be a more even flood. The beamshaper does a better job than the cheapo I described above.

You can also buy the right sized lens with the LDF coating on it from flashlightlens.com and use it with the Minimag anti-roll slip-on head. This is also an effective way to make your own beamshaper for a lot less money.

Flakey

Enlightened
I really really endorse surefires beamshapers. I use one on my C3 Centurian for hiking at night. If you think that sureifres have good looking beams now, wait till you put a beamshaper on! It will totally eliminate ANY throw that the light has but it will put out ... hmm... i guess i would call it a blob of light lol. it is a totally even ... cloud ... of light. really hard to describe actually. Basically the beamshaper will TOTALLY eliminate the hotspot of your light what you end up with is a really wide really floody REALLY smooth beam that is GREAT for close up work. When i hike at night (new hobbie lol) i keep the beamshaper pointed at the ground and it really lets me see perfecly where im going to be putting my feet. in the other hand is the mag74 which is only good about 50feet out (anycloser and the reflection off of anything hurts the eyes) Wow .. im really rambling but there is alot to say about the glory of a really GOOD beamshaper, which is what SF makes, This is not a piece of tape in front of your light, this is a lense that diffuses and redirects light. It does make the light a little harder to edc, as the bezzle gets bigger, but frankly i think it is worth buying just to see if it is right for you because it may very well be. i hope this helps, oh and welcome to CPF!

a99raptors

Enlightened
litho123 said:
:wave: Welcome to CPF :wave:

I have a couple of F04 beamshapers with the intended application for upclose type of work. They work out great. I use it on my Q3 all the time and on the E2e occasionally.

Here is a cheap way to demo what the beamshaper will be like...

If you have a minimag that has one of those plastic anti-roll slip-on heads, it will fit on the E2e head. If you take the plastic lens and put Scotch (green) Magic/Invisible tape across it, it will act like a beamshaper and spread out the light. You'll see how it smooths out the beam to be a more even flood. The beamshaper does a better job than the cheapo I described above.

You can also buy the right sized lens with the LDF coating on it from flashlightlens.com and use it with the Minimag anti-roll slip-on head. This is also an effective way to make your own beamshaper for a lot less money.

I have tried that combo before, but stopped. Please be careful. I am not sure whether the plastic lens in the Maglites can handle that much heat.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the beamshaper work the same on the KL1 head as the incad head? Thanks!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
lrp said:
Does the beamshaper work the same on the KL1 head as the incad head? Thanks!
The F04 is perfect on the KL1. They are made for each other. Turns the throw beam of the KL1 into a nice diffuse flood. For $12 it will probably be the cheapest SF part you will ever buy and one the best deals.

Mark