The incident that got me into flashlights...

Safety1st

Enlightened
The reason why I always carry a Surefire;

For me it was a professional decision;...the scene was as follows;

I am a UK police officer and one cold December evening, responded to a call of a domestic disturbance, at around midnight in a bad part of town. I arrived at the house, to find a chair had been thrown OUT of the window and was laying in pieces on the lawn....From inside the house there wasn't a sound.

I drew my baton, shouted 'Police' and entered the quiet house.....(door was wide open and splintered)....nobody in lounge, nobody in kitchen...all lights on in the house.....only the upstairs to check....

Again shouted "POLICE - COME OUT"...= nothing.

The upper level of the house was in darkness, as was the stairs....I'd left my D Cell flashlight in my policecar in its charger, as I presumed that I wouldn't need it....with the house being lit.....and due to the fact it was so heavy and cumbersome

I shouted again upstairs....and heard no reply...and began to walk up the stairs...one at a time...slowly....careful not to make a creak or squeak....

I took a few more steps and estimated I was now about half way up the stairs....pitch black darkness above and in front of me....a long way behind me was the safety of the lit hallway...:sweat:

Although I was alone, I decided to shout the old favourite..."POLICE K9 UNIT....COME DOWN OR I'LL SEND UP THE DOG!"...:naughty:

A voice.....about 10 feet away (at the top of the stairs said slowly and menacingly)..."Send the dog up...i've got something for it....! "....:drool:

Fear is NOT the word...!

I stepped backwards and retraced my steps.......as I did so..another police officer had arrived and was standing at the bottom of the stairs with his SureFire6P flashlight shining up at me.....

I leaned to one side to allow the beam to shine on the top of the stairs....and sitting at the top was a man in full combat fatigues holding a 5foot spear in both hands...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shocked.gif

If i'd had continued up the stairs, blindly in the dark, I would have been speared/stabbing in the head or neck....!...:sweat:

He was eventually arrested by SWAT/Tactical Aid Group, without any police officer being injured...

From that day, i've always carried a SureFire flashlight on my duty belt....and so far manage to get home at the end of the shift to my wife and children.
Thank God and thank Surefire.
bowdown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeeze, They need to let you guys carry guns. (and issue you good flashlights)

Glad you are OK.

(It was a close encounter with a bear that made me buy my first Surefire; Yet I was in less danger than you, even though I was even closer.)

God Bless you and all your good fellow Police Officers.

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
I swear you Brits are pretty damrn brave chaps indeed, I know nothing of whats available from Scotland Yard as of this date but can you carry Tasers?
I can visualize many humane devices such as netguns, stink pellets, high frequency sound waves, sticky glue and such. And of course light! There was several years ago a light emitting tool that used a miniature fast burning magnesium flare as a threat deterrant, sorta like a slow hand held flash grenade but with no explosion, incredibly bright light for a few seconds.I think it was even developed in the UK.
I could imagine a high tech carbon fiber billy club that had say a taser unit plus a super flash emitter to blind adversaries something in the order of at least 300 lumens. Anything brighter could cause severe damage but if it had a sweeping wide arc diffused green laser that could compactly work!

I got into Leds when I had to continuously replace the 4" sealed beam tailights on a fleet of concrete mixers up here in Alaska, sometimes they would only last a week or two and the then new LED tailights were over $80!
I went here got some ideas, bought Nichias by the hundreds and started making my own truck LED tailights, well I then saw the advantages of having an LED flashlight in Alaska during a 6 month dark winter and thus I made eventually hundreds of the small Brinkman AAA size single 5mm Led flashlight that absolutely everybody had to have, and thus thats how I started.

Last edited:

amlim

Enlightened
Zigzago said:
Great story.

Why do the nutbars always put on combat fatigues?:shrug:

coz they watched too much "rambo" style movies?? they sure give combat fatigues a bad name..:laughing:

amlim

Enlightened
Safety1st said:
The reason why I always carry a Surefire;

For me it was a professional decision;...the scene was as follows;

I am a UK police officer and one cold December evening, responded to a call of a domestic disturbance, at around midnight in a bad part of town. I arrived at the house, to find a chair had been thrown OUT of the window and was laying in pieces on the lawn....From inside the house there wasn't a sound.

I drew my baton, shouted 'Police' and entered the quiet house.....(door was wide open and splintered)....nobody in lounge, nobody in kitchen...all lights on in the house.....only the upstairs to check....

Again shouted "POLICE - COME OUT"...= nothing.

The upper level of the house was in darkness, as was the stairs....I'd left my D Cell flashlight in my policecar in its charger, as I presumed that I wouldn't need it....with the house being lit.....and due to the fact it was so heavy and cumbersome

I shouted again upstairs....and heard no reply...and began to walk up the stairs...one at a time...slowly....careful not to make a creak or squeak....

I took a few more steps and estimated I was now about half way up the stairs....pitch black darkness above and in front of me....a long way behind me was the safety of the lit hallway...:sweat:

Although I was alone, I decided to shout the old favourite..."POLICE K9 UNIT....COME DOWN OR I'LL SEND UP THE DOG!"...:naughty:

A voice.....about 10 feet away (at the top of the stairs said slowly and menacingly)..."Send the dog up...i've got something for it....! "....:drool:

Fear is NOT the word...!

I stepped backwards and retraced my steps.......as I did so..another police officer had arrived and was standing at the bottom of the stairs with his SureFire6P flashlight shining up at me.....

I leaned to one side to allow the beam to shine on the top of the stairs....and sitting at the top was a man in full combat fatigues holding a 5foot spear in both hands...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.traffic-answers.com/forum/Smileys/default/shocked.gif[img]

If i'd had continued up the stairs, blindly in the dark, I would have been speared/stabbing in the head or neck....!...:sweat:

He was eventually arrested by SWAT/Tactical Aid Group, without any police officer being injured...

From that day, i've always carried a SureFire flashlight on my duty belt....and so far manage to get home at the end of the shift to my wife and children.
Thank God and thank Surefire.[img]http://www.traffic-answers.com/forum/Smileys/default/bowdown.gif

wow !!! glad that you are safe. you leos put your lifes on the line everyday to keep us common folks safe... :bow:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
AIIIIGGGGGH!

That gave me a complete case of the heebies. It's like a real-life version of the "babysitter" horror story. The one where the 911 (*999?) operator calls back and screams, "GET OUT! THE CALLS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!"… Except in this case it's your partner with a superior flashlight.

With no guns, you couldn't get me to be a Bobby in the UK for less than a million a year in salary, and that's a million, GBP.

And to think, my home U.S. State of Wisconsin just missed issuing gun permits (to actualy carry concealed out in public, you can already practicaly have whatever you want at home or at the range...) to "civilians" by two votes. We obviously live in very different worlds.

Good luck.

p.s. Is there an upsdie to being law enforcment in the UK? I mean, should the "deserving miscreant" get a bit roughed up in the process of arrest, it's not a big stink? :D

jezzyp

Enlightened
I'm in Yorkshire (South) - Just a note of moral support for the UK Police. May PACE go back to where it came from...

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Glad you made it out without injury. :sweat:

Definite kudos to you for doing this job without any guns.. I really don't know how you do it.. :wow:

Safety1st

Enlightened
On the subject of guns and unarmed UK police..

The only protection I have is stab/bullet vest..and weapons are extendable baton (ASP) and CS spray.

However, i'm been in Law Enforcement for nearly 10 years and have worked some really violent places and such like. In all that time I have never arrested (or attempted) to arrest anyone who was in possession of a firearm. I've never had a firearm pointed at me, either.

There have been many people who have carried knives/screwdrivers etc etc...and have been dealt with accordingly. However, even if i'd had a firearm, I wouldn't have been justified in using it unless they were running at me with the knife or something.

The bottom line is that despite the odd occasional incident in the UK where an innocent person is shot by a criminal, there really isn't a gun problem. Yeah, criminals shoot other criminals from time to time....but in my experience and knowledge, the UK criminal will spend more time and energy trying not to be caught in possession of a firearm, rather than turning around and using it/threatening it.

Go back 20 years, and armed robberies at Banks were a problem in the UK...with firearms..(sawn off shotguns being the favourite)...However, nowadays, bank robberies are virtually unheard of. Those that do take place are normally the banana in the bag type scenario, without an actual firearm being used.

Having said all that, there was the tragic incident some months ago where a female police officer was shot and killed in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England by an armed bank robber. Nobody can really say whether a firearm would have protected her on the day. It would probably have made her deal with the approach much more differently and that might have saved her life. Who knows?

I'm working for the next 3 evenings, so fingers crossed it'll be safe, yet interesting...

I'll keep you informed...;)

Santelmo

Enlightened
Good luck, keep the faith, watch your back and never let the batteries run low!

Safety1st

Enlightened
Wolfen said:
Wow!!! Thanks goodness you were thinking with your brains and not other parts that day!!!

So what is your belt light? I use a Streamlight Strion and carry a CPF 16 level LED light in my pocket. Here is the link.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/98756

Cheers for your concern wolfen...:)

I used to carry a Streamlight Scorpion...

However, i've recently changed it..and now carry a Surefire C2 in a V70 holster....on my belt..

In my bag on the back seat is my Surefire M3T, which I get out for serious illumination...:naughty:

but the C2 is the one 'attached' to me.....and always ready....:rock: