Info on AmiLite / JIL / VG FB1 with KL4 needed for my next EDC

faco

Enlightened
Hello

Can anybody help me with any info on the AmiLite CR123A Flashlight, the JIL CR2 Flashlight or the VG FB1 with KL4 ?

I am after a small Flashlight for EDC, I have noticed in some threads people use these lights but not much info is around apart from the JIL in one review.

Any info will be great. Most important for me is if anyone has used rechargeables in the AmiLite and if the light produces a flood beam. I know a little about the KL4 and with the VG FB1 body should be a great Flashlight for EDC but at a much higher price. I already have a SF L1 and with another small flashlight with flood would be a good addition to the L1.

Beamshots would be great if anyone has any.

I must say the search is just as good as getting that package on your doorstep.

Thanks in advance from a newbie

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Amilite is a pocket rocket light. You're looking at about 50 minutes before it starts dropping rapidly, and you can only use lithium primaries (expensive proposition).

You have 3 basic options with the Jil. The DD (direct drive) which has a looooong output, the 1.3w which is regulated (a bit bigger, a bit more expensive), or the Intelli, which is a DD modified with a Flupic board (gives you regulated, user-adjustable, multi-level outputs). The best IMO is the Intelli, since it combines the brightness and the regulation of the 1.3w, the long output of the DD (on a lower setting), and it's small. However, it's more expensive than the other two. I've read that the regular DD should only use lithium primary CR2 batteries (expensive batteries, although it's got a long runtime), while the 1.3w (I might be wrong about the 1.3w) and the Intelli can use RCR2 lithium ion rechargables, which'll save you money.

As for the VG FB1 / KL4, this would be best served by using Li-ion rechargables. Reports are that some KL4 examples don't work properly with 1 CR123A (1 in 10), but using a RCR123A (higher voltage) shouldn't have any problems. Using CR123As with a KL4 head will deplete your wallet even faster than the Amilite.

You also might want to check out the new Peak Rainier (aka CPF Special), as well as the other 123A lights they have out (www.peakledsolutions.com).

LouRoy

Enlightened
The Jil Intelli is an incredible light for pocket carry. It is tiny (way smaller than your other choices), has 3-level adjustable output (and thus adjustable runtimes), nice flood beam, and uses RCR2 rechargable cells. It can also use primary CR2, but you will have less output. You can add the Cab extension and a 14500 cell and greatly increase the runtime and still be very small.

To give you an idea of just how small the Intelli is, it is probably the same volume as just the KL4 head alone. (The Jil is longer, but smaller diameter)

If you want lower cost, the Jil DD is more than enough light for most purposes and runs for 20 hours or more!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't played with the Amilite at all and I haven't played with the JIL Intelli.

Between the JIL and the FB1/KL4 combo... well, the FB1/KL4 is quite a bit larger. Still certainly pocketable, but not keychain-able at all in my opinion. Having said that, if I could only have the non Intelli JIL or the FB1/KL4, I'd DEFINATELY take the FB1/KL4.

These are all basically floody lights which is probably best for most indoor use and for outdoor use when you don't need much throw. Personally, I'd prefer something with a bit more throw, while not sacrificing much of the spillbeam. ie... I wouldn't be eager to go from the KL4 to the KL1 just for the extra throw. I value the spillbeam more than great throw in smaller lights.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I have both the Amilite and JIL, and both are excellent. Think of the Amilite as the big brother, although it is still very small. The JIL is absolutely tiny, especially in DD or Intelli size. I opted for the JIL 1.3 after auditioning it side by side in Seoul with the DD. At some point, a tiny light is just TOO tiny and I find the DD easier to twist and manuever. The 1.3 is still light as a feather and absolutely disappears in the pocket. Both lights have very white beams with reasonable flood-useful indoors and out. If you want pure flood, look for a light with an orangepeel type reflector. The Amilite is quite a bit brighter than the JIL but I love them both.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I own the Amilite and the VG. All I can say is that the Amilite is a bright little light... I wouldnt expect it to throw very well, but it has a large spot and bright spill. It has very good build quality, and you can twist the head with ease. The VG bodies have bad switches. Two of my three were faulty so I got the old switch and replaced the O-ring and it works well now, but it isnt worth the trouble. But the KL4 on a single cell will be a pocket rocket!

-David

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I chose the Amilite based on brightness, throw, and cost. It's my EDC. I replaced the reflector with a McR20 MOP reflector from The Sandwich Shoppe. It improved the brightness and beam quality slightly (already darn bright), and improved the throw ~ 10-15%. The McR20 is a straight swap-out for the stock reflector. Absolutely no modification is necessary.

From what I've heard, the Amilite is the brightest and has the best throw of the three by far. Add a high-quality reflector like the McR20 ($14) and it's a champ. It uses primary cells, but I get em for $1 ea. I use my light frequently, but briefly. So far I'm spending about $3 per month on batteries. Skip Starbucks for a day and fuel your Neo for a month!

QuickBeam has a great review of it on FlashlightReviews.com
Bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about getting the mcr20... How small is the spot?

-David

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
cheapo said:

-David
I took comparison beamshots last night which I'll post tomorrow. At a guess, I'd say the McR20 spot is 25% the size of the stock reflector spot. The biggest difference I could see is the smoothing out of the beam.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I also did comparative beamshots at 1 meter to the window and found this:
the stock reflector had approx. 4 inch central spot within an 11 inch overall hotspot
the McR20 had approx. 6-7 inch overall diffuse hotspot that faded slightly into the spill. It was hard to measure because the edge of the spot wasn't well defined due to the MOP.
If someone can tell me how to post pictures, I'll post beamshots. PM me to keep this thread uncluttered.

Thanks if you can help.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
P.S. the reflective coating in the McR20 seems much finer and brighter than the stock reflector so I'd guess it is much more efficient too. Definitely worth $14 IMO.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
hyperslug said:
I took comparison beamshots last night which I'll post tomorrow. At a guess, I'd say the McR20 spot is 25% the size of the stock reflector spot. The biggest difference I could see is the smoothing out of the beam.

is it worth it?

-David

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I have gravitated towards multi level, or "modular" light setup's. I like
the HDS and a VG FB-1 1x123 body with either a KL-1 (i like throw, and it's beam does widen out,, not a pencil beam as many call it) with a double pouch I have a KL-4 in it for big flood,, just real easy to switch head's quick. I will leave off the HDS since it's not on your list, But i do have a stock jil 1.3. very bright for the size and run's very long on that little CR2.
I would assess your main needs then buy what you think is
best multi level, or modular, Being able to add new heads and bodies is the plus there. If i had some extra $$$ I would maybe try a intelli, but honestly the twists are not my favored activating system for light's so the flupic is sorta weird to me. (yes i know they work very well)

that's my two cent's.VDG

Wal44

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Jil DD since late August and use it as my EDC. It's small enough to be unnoticeable in my pocket, very bright, and has good sidespill. The light is very white with no blue or green tint to it. I live in the country and use it 3 to 5 minutes a day and am still on the original battery. I haven't seen the other two lights mentioned, but I think the Jil's combination of brightness and long life beats anything currently on the market.

I haven't seen the Intelli model, but have read about it and it seems a little too complicated. A simpler version with just a high and low would be great, but the Intelli seems to have too many levels plus does anyone really need a strobe in a pocket light?

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
I posted beamshots in the Review: Amilite Neo T3 thread to keep it all together.

cheapo said:
is it worth it?

-David

It was worth finding out if the Mcr20 would suit my preference. Beam quality improved, but I expected much greater throw. The difference in throw is so slight (maybe I don't know what to look for) it's really a question of what size hotspot you prefer. I'm going to keep EDC'ing and swapping out the reflectors to see which I find more useful.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Beamshots (JIL Intelli on fresh unprotected RCR2, 7 feet from wall) unfortunately my digital camera is point and shoot so not particularly scientific, but gives a decent idea of the beam characteristics.

Intelli with high set to level 20:
Intelli20.jpg

Intelli in burst mode:
Intelliburst.jpg

McLux III PD on high:
McLuxIIIPDhigh.jpg

Lite

Newly Enlightened
Nice shots Ned-L. I'm currently waiting for delivery on my Jil-Intelli. Judging by your beamshots, I'm in for a treat.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm.. firstdent and hyperslug, you just contridicted eachother on how much the throw is increased. :)

-David