got my new no-name-cheapo AX LED light!!!...

mdocod

Flashaholic
more spacifically, i'm speaking of the

http://www.axshop.com/details.aspx/sku-300/

28 WHITE LEDs crammed into a nice little attractive package.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_28led.htm

It came in the mail this afternoon... so a plopped in some NIMH rechargables (only thing in that size I have around here)... I'm doing a run-time test to see if I get the same dismal results that flashlightreviews.com got...

Just wanted to say- this thing is a STEAL shipped for under $10, with fresh batteries, It's in the same ballpark as my 3W Luxeons- but with a much more flooded beam pattern. The splotch of smooth light is perfect for looking for something in a dark house- not just for navigating, a dorcy 1xAAA is enough for navigating, this thing has the wall of light that is perfect for searching for an item in a dark house....

Like flashlightreviews said- the output is suprisingly WHITE- I have come to expect bluish outputs from lower "class" leds, these are on the fringe of the blue spectrum, but not enough that you think "blue" when you see it.. the mind sees "crisp white" untill you compare it to other light sources, and then it becomes slightly bluish in apearance, still, a very nice output color.

I'm a bit confused about performance that flashlightreviews got with NIMHs in this light... at the time of typing this, it has been on solid for 40 minuts on a set of NIMHs that have been sitting room temp for about a month since they have been charged- and that was their first ever charge since I bought them, they havn't even been cycled yet to "break in." they are "powerizor" brand "750mah." The light has lost an estimated 15-25% output from the inicial "on" after 40 minuts... Flashlightreviews came up with a 50% mark after only 8 minuts... I think there must have been something wrong with eithor his charger or batteries, because NIMHs seem to work great in this thing so far....

anyhoo... happy illuminationing to all, just wanted to throw my 2.12137285859 cents into the bucket.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
I have a few of those 28 LED lights (from a couple different sources).
They are great for around the house.

I had one LED burn out on one of those so far. Soldered in a 40K led in it's place and it was good as new again.

Their 49 LED lights are pretty impressive too. (AND THEY USE AA's!!!! :rock:)
I bought two (one black and one silver) of the 49 LED lights from AXShop back in December, when they were only $6.25 each! :huh:
Too bad it's $10.25 now. :awman:

Silver 49 LED light (black is no longer on their website):
http://www.axshop.com/details.aspx/sku-1067/

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I remember that 8 minute runtime. I want to believe it is a fluke somehow.

I have a 3xAAA light with either 18 or 19 LEDs and I had several others which I either sold or gave away. I kept the one I did because of how solid the clickie feels. Anyway, it runs for well over an hour on 3 850mAh NiMH cells.

Personally, I don't have a need for anymore than about 8 LEDs in the newer XNovas. I'd rather have the smaller form factor and the AA cell.

mdocod

Flashaholic
yea, his NIMH runtime musta been a fluke... i've gone through 3 sets of recharges now, each lasting between 45 minuts and an hour at near full brightness, 1 set on energizer 850mah, and 2 sets on powerizer 750mah... non of these batteries are really "broke in" yet eithor.

It would make sense that these lights should actually perform WELL on NIMHs, I did a current test through the multimeter and came up with 800ma (0.8Amps), which is a fairly high drain rate for a small cell, my run times would make sense when you consider this current draw- 45 mins-1hour runtime on an ~800ma draw from a battery packs rated in the range of 800mah range.

now, ya figure the multimeter added some resistance to the loop, actual drain rate is probably slightly higher when the current only has to flow directly through the body of the flashlight, 800ma/28leds=~28ma per led, probably right around 30ma per led without the multimeter in place... i was looking at some nichia LED spec pages, they have a "max" rating of exactly 30ma... wonder what kinda leds are in these china lights.

seems like with some creativity, this thing could be converted to hold a better battery setup... I am not much a fan of AAA cells... almost looks like with some minor boring a C sized cell would fit- has me thinking C size li-ion, hehe....

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pair of CR123A sized cells will just fit. Take a look at the way the inside of the tailcap is milled and you'll see that it's just large enough for a 123 sized cell.