E1L vs L1

waterboy

Newly Enlightened
i would like to know the differences of these lights . any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the L1 has two stages and slightly better battery life (a few minutes). The L1 is longer though.

-David

WDR65

Enlightened
The E1L's electronics are in the head while the L1's are in the body. This is the reason the L1 is a bit longer, but it has the advantage of extended runtime when using the low level. The L1 also throws a bit further than the E1L, but not by much.

The E1L and has some advantages over the L1 also. You can use the E1L's head on a 2 cell E series body or any compatible body such as the Vital Gear systems. This will extend the runtime if needed and increase the throw with the added power from the extra battery.

I've had both and for the moment the L1 fits my needs the best though I'm considering ordering a new KL1 head for my E2o. I like the L1's two stage tailcap more because I use it in very dark areas while hunting and don't necessarily need the higher output all of the time. You can't really go wrong with either though each one has certain advantages over the other.

Oh yeah, the beams from each are almost identical.

carrot

Flashaholic
I would take the L1... it has better regulation, two-stage output, and IMO it looks better, even though it's a bit bigger.

waterboy

Newly Enlightened
wow...thank all of you so much....i just cant decide on whether to get a single cell light like the L1 or a kL3 for my c2...hum......I JUST DONT KNOW...lol

IonFire

Enlightened
I dont have a L1 Yet.:grin2:

But i do have a E1L with a 2-stage tail-cap, so in essence, it has a higher output on high (22 Lumens(L1) Vs 25 Lumens(E1L)) And on low, well, it lasts too long for me to verify.

Imho, i do not know how the lower lumened light could throw any further, they use the same optic, and has slightly less rated output?

I don't know if you can use RCR123's in the L1, The E1L you definately can and should for the guilt free usage.

Peace, enjoy what ever light you choose, the only option after getting one, is, well get the other one later.:grin2:

IF

faco

Enlightened
I can only talk about the L1 (it's the only Surefire I have). It has great regulation and the two-stage is handy. Compared to the E1L you can't use Rechargeables. BUT the L1 goes a long time on one cell. Mine has been going for over 2 weeks and the novelty hasn't ran out, I turn it on/off 50 times a day :lolsign:

IonFire

Enlightened
Yup, i know its redundant, but its (the L1) the next SF on my short list.

I really almost wish the L1 threads didnt come up as of late, now i am jones'n.

I want both, like alot of others here, single cell lights are popular.

IF

Fringe

Enlightened
I prefer single cells the most. I am probably going to get an L1 now. Sounds like a good flashlight for a decent price.

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
I haven't used either one, so I have no first hand-knowledge. I have, however, just placed an order for an L1 with oldgrandpajack and my reasoning was that I thought the L1 might be a little easier to manipulate and handle due to it's extra length. The fact that the El1 has an extra 2 or 3 lumens means nothing to me, the extra brightness that it casts is only for a period of the battery life, then it drops down and any advantage ther is lost for the rest of the battery life, not that it's much more anyway.

Chao

Enlightened
Get L1! I have E1L and L1, but I use L1 more, my L1 has real 2 hourt flat regulation with SF battery and the size for me is comfortable for use.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I'd take the E1L, just because it's smaller. It's the kind of light you want to stick into your small jeans pocket and forget about it, but it packs a nice wallop if you do need a burst of light. I can also use KL1 with 1 or 2 cells which is nice.

I could imagine getting a E1L, then a L4, with a two stage tailcap, and then mixing and matching all the bodies, heads, tails for any situation. You also have options for rechargeable cells.

Last edited:

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
warpdrive said:
It's the kind of light you want to stick into your small jeans pocketQUOTE]

I swear I have to use a piece of rope to tie my lights to my jeans.... I have almost lost both my E1L and McLux-PD because they had slipped out of my pocket while sitting.

Maybe I need to wear tighter jeans :naughty: .

Wear protection (lanyard)...

IonFire

Enlightened
Lol 78CJ5, be careful bro.:grin2:

Another nice thing about the KL1 heads, they can handle up to nine volts.
(1-3XCR123A's, or 1-2XRCR123)

It seems to be the only Surefire LED that can, try that on the L1, no i am just kidding, don't do it.

IF

nuggett

Enlightened
I had to choose between the 2 recently and chose the E1L for the modular ability. It accepts 1 or 2 cell bodys so it works on my E2d, it has a lot of throw, and I use rechargables, I just need a 2 stage to complete the kit.

IonFire

Enlightened
It also works on the VG FB3 body for crazy run times.

I love my KL1's, and i still want a L1.

Can't have just one i guess.

IF

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low level on the l1 is low enough to read a map by but still seems brighter than infinity ultra. It is enough light for many uses. Plus they come in colors!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I debate this too.
The CPF answer...buy: E1L, L1 and get an E2 or Vital Gear 2x123 body or E2L, L1 and Vital gear 1x123 body or one of the Aleph 123 bodies...soo many combos for the KL1. :D

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that is for sure is the cutaway photographs of the A2 and the L1 in the surefire 2005 flashlight book are really cool. I love being able to look inside these lights.
Beam is about the same. The trick with the L1 is balance. Yes the KL1 on a single cell body and tail switch is cool . I have a pair of twins. These are the KL-4 twins:
twins.jpg

They have no balance they are too short. I love 'em but the L1 being a longer light has a better balance in the hand. Either way one of the coolest things about these lights are the space age Pyrex glass optics used to get the beam out the front. The thing of it is that if you go the E1L route you then get to expand your collection of SureFire body parts that willl go together with the heads. Then you have a bunch of tail cap switches then more bodies.....Lego for adults. It is really fun putting together lights and playing with them. SureFire parts are easy to get addicted to. One flashlight is not enough it is hard to store over a thousand of them but it can be done.
There are those who do not like a tight longish (for it's size) throw light they also don't seem to like optics. Ad that to the two stage switch and you have a flashlight that you can't loose with.
Enjoy.
Yaesumofo

waterboy said:
i would like to know the differences of these lights . any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks