Peak Amber LED

ledled

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have the peak series that uses an Amber LED? How is the brightness compared to white ?
Does Amber give the best color rendition second to white?
Unfortunately they don't offer yellow LED..

Last edited:

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
ledled said:
Does anyone have the peak series that uses an Amber LED? How is the brightness compared to white ?
Does Amber give the best color rendition second to white?
Unfortunately they don't offer yellow LED..
Hello....
I use and prefer the Amber (orange/yellow) color for sheer visual acuity in the darkness. It feels much easier on the eyes also. I have an old Infinity that I like to use in the house at nighttime. Many people feel that the Amber also has a lot less glare in it's beam than the white color. There are however, some artifacts in the Amber beam-but it doesn't bother me.

The Amber color is not as bright as the White, but seems easier to distinguish print and fine details than the white color.

And yes, I think the Amber has the second best color rendition ability.

Last edited:

ledled

Newly Enlightened
How about brightness compared to white?
I know red/cyan usually brighter, but i'm not familiar with amber

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red isn't brigther, unless the LED just puts out more light that they are using. Red will save your night vision more, but won't appear as bright.

Cyan (more of a blue than green cyan) will give you good contrast and "color" rendition at night, and will appear very bright to your eyes.

As far as brightness of amber and artifacts in the beam, it depends on the LED they use. The old Infinities were kind of dim, so a peak would probably be brighter, and may not have the swirly beam either depending on the kind of LED they use..

Amber will be less hard on your night vision than cyan, and have good contrast and focus on things. It won't appear as bright, but will be brighter than Red to your eyes.