Streamlight Scorpion Boot problems

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my first attempt at warranty service through Streamlight and I need to say I'm a little disappointed. I bought this light about 5 years ago and have carried it every day. I noticed a pinhole in the rubber boot right at the switch that would allow air / water into the body and decided to fix it with some contact cement. It worked great until last week when I noticed the cement had worn away leaving the hole. I contacted Streamlight about it and they were kind enough to send me a replacement that promptly disintegrated in my hands. It looks like they made the new boot from very thin layers of poorly adhered rubber. I informed them of this and now they want me to pay to ship the entire light to them for repairs with no mention of the "repairs" being covered by them.

delaminated.jpg

So I asked them for help.. they sent me a piece of dog feces, and now they ask for my money.. LOL

Way to go Streamlight.!!!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks. Is there a local service center near you? You might be able to take it there and get a new free boot that's hopefully of better quality.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The boot/sleeves aren't very durable. When removing or replacing, a lubricant of some kind prevents it from being beat-up and stetched. The good old hairspray trick to put on works for me. (Learned that doing bicycle grips.) Spary a bit and it will slide on easily. Once it dries, it is stuck.

This IMO is a big downer to this light.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Streamlight fan in general, but their support sort of runs hot and cold. They've stopped supporting some of their discontinued flashlights. Instead they want you to pay to send them back, and they'll give you a partial discount off list price of a crummy imported TwinTask 3C. No thanks.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old boot was of much higher quality leading me to believe that they went with a lower bidder to produce them. They are sending me a ups call tag for the light.. I'm just currious why they need the entire light to replace a boot? Apparently it's possible that it's my fault the layers of rubber disintigrated in my hands and their technicians will have an easier time. Im very nervous about sending off my only good pocketable thrower. Even if they replace it with a new one, how can i know if the boot isnt going to fall apart with just regular use? Sorry my hosting site seems to be down or you could see in the picture how messed up it is.

Oh, well.. I'll let y'all know what happens.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know how it goes. I'm a Streamlight fan also and have a Scorpion LED. I was thinking about selling it to pick up a TL-2 LED (I have a TL-2 xenon now and really like it). Maybe I'll do that sooner than I thought, tho my Scorpion doesn't see much use (in my car).

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the thread's title I thought SL came out with a new computerized Scorp. Guess I'll have to struggle along with my dumb old model.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of jumping to conclusions, why don't you call them and ask if there is a charge for the repairs. Given my past experience with Streamlight both with the factory and with their service centers, I'd be more inclined to think that they're probably going to replace the whole light. After all, the light does carry a lifetime warranty.

carbine15 said:
I informed them of this and now they want me to pay to ship the entire light to them for repairs with no mention of the "repairs" being covered by them.

So I asked them for help.. they sent me a piece of dog feces, and now they ask for my money.. LOL

Way to go Streamlight.!!!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the light shipped out today. Fingers are crossed. I just don't want them to replace the light with a crappy boot like the one they sent me even if it is brand-new if it delaminates when i touch it then it's a POS.

WE'll see.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently sent my SL Jr., paid my own shipping to them and got a new one in return, the same may happen to you I suspect. lot easier and cheaper to give you a new one than fight a new boot on.
Either way, my experiences with their CS have been good overall. Just give it a little time, took a coiple of weeksfor my replacement to make it back, can't remember exactly how long.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rock:Got my scorpion back without a word on what was done, by whom and for how much. No paperwork! From the looks of it they installed a new boot that is as good as the old one used to be. No peeling. I suppose it was an isolated incident with the de-laminating. I also remember my plastic lens being much more beat up and scratched. There's not a scratch on it! As a customer I'm satisfied. I'd recomend streamlight for anyone not wanting to spend over $100 on a good light and still get good service.

Incidently I saw Scorpions on the two p90's that Teal'c was carrying in Stargate SG1's episode "Arthurs Mantle".