Surfire TW4 Dual Stage???

cary

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I can't seem to get the search engine to work properly because the phrase TW4 is to short. Has anyone made the TW4 with a two stage tailcap that provides a high and low output? If so, is a DIY mod or can it be purchased, and from where?

Thanks

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just do it the right way! get a two stage McGizmo tail, you can't go wrong with it on the TW4 it's awsome!

I use my KL4 head on both a E1e and a E2e and they both rock with a two stage

doug

cy

Flashaholic
both of these lights have two stage

tw4 cr2.JPG

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
That is such a sweet/easy mod.

CY,

I love the short KL4. Is that an Aleph flared body? It's so much shorter that the SF.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be no problem,just pop a resistor in there like CY did :D

Some soldering skills are required though.

I did something similar to my Pentagonlight with good results.

Benny

cy

Flashaholic
have not tried the 1/4 watt resister in Z57 yet :D

yep that's a flared CR2 body. both two stage are Z52 with McE2S installed. 30 ohms for low.

cary

Newly Enlightened
MorpheusT1 said:
Should be no problem,just pop a resistor in there like CY did :D

Some soldering skills are required though.

I did something similar to my Pentagonlight with good results.

Benny

You haven't seen me solder. It is kind of like watching a NFL linebacker do ballet.

cary

Newly Enlightened
How does the runtime end up being? I have heard it is about 20 minutes on high, what about low? I won't be using rechargeables.

cary

Newly Enlightened
I want to make sure I have it right so I don't spend a bunch and screw it up. I can get a KL4 head, then an E1e body, and an McGizmo Alpha Two stage switch, which will give me a light that puts out about 60 lumens on hi, and ??? on low (what resistor). Also the Alpha tailcap will work like my current Tailcap on my L2 (twist or press slightly for low, press harder or twist more for high).

Is this correct? Also, can I just use a L2 tailcap?

Thanks again.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The Aleph tailcap works just like the L1/L2/A2 tailcap ... except that it won't lock out. You can make unwanted activation pretty hard to happen, but there is no technical lockout feature.
You can put a KL4 on a 1x123 E-Series compatible body (E1e, Aleph body, ...) and equip it with an Aleph Tailcap to achieve a high and low mode, where the high mode depends on your power source and the low mode on the chosen resistor in addition to that.
On a Li-Ion R123 you'll most likely get full regulation on high for 60+lumens whereas with 1xCR123 you will get less light on high and an unregulated runtime curve.
:caution: There are some rare KL4s that won't work on 1xCR123 :caution:

No, you can't use an L1 tailcap. And neither a L2 or A2 tailcap.

Those are the iterations of the Aleph Tailcaps:

Alephtailcaps-primary-new.jpg

The "FT" variations use a "hair trigger" switch activation which requires much lkess pressure than the other caps, but unwanted activation is a bit more likely to happen.

bernie

IonFire

Enlightened
Just a note on the z57.

I used Trueblue's idea, and installed a resistor, no soldiering required.
2-Stage without a lot of pain, and is reliable.

IF