What do American paramedics carry as their duty light and what do they use foe a back

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hi guys,

As a UK paramedic I was wondering what the majority of my American colleagues use for duty lights and what do they carry for backups.

Over here the usual duty light supplied is a 2 or 3 cell maglite. Most of my colleagues use a AAA or AA size light for belt carry.

I use a SL 3cell propolymer for a duty light and carry a SL Scorpion for a backup. I also have a AAA size maglite for pupil reactions etc which is in my belt kit.

The choice of SL Propolymer was due to its rugged constrution, cost effectiveness (batteries, bulbs) and the fact that it is waterproof.I also have found that the clip used on the Propolymer is very strong and this is an absolute godsend on 'shouts'.

The Scorpion is just fantastic for its cost and is used more often than not when I forget my Propolymer. Although I own a SF which is my favourite light I do get woried about losing it and with its inherrent cost I seldom take it to work with me.

The AAA Maglite is used for Clinical work and is more than adequate for that use.

Anyone who is an EMT/Paramedic want to let me know what type of lights they carry and why?

Regards

Doug
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What do American paramedics carry as their duty light and what do they use foe a back

I am not paramedic but I know several who are. The three that I personally know prefer polymer-bodied, incandescent lights. All three use the Pelican SuperMitylight and one uses a 2C Pelican (can't think of the model #). I'll have to ask them why they prefer them over other brands/types.

ssteven1

Newly Enlightened
Re: What do American paramedics carry as their duty light and what do they use foe a back

I am a paramedic in north carolina. The medics around here usually carry 2AA minimags. We also have streamlite litebox mounted in the trucks (big lots of light).
I carry an inova microlight (the new one with the constant on switch) to check pupils
grin.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Thanks for the replies guys,
Anyone else with some information on duty lights?

Doug

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am an MICT (Paramedic) in Kansas. We carry 3 D Cell rechargeable Maglights in our trucks that would be considered our duty lights. They are not the brightest, but they are very rugged and can be used as a defensive weapon in a pinch.

I also carry a Surfire 6Z combat light as a backup. Very handy.

And I carry one of those cheap penlights to check pupils (always seem to lose them
grin.gif
)