Got my 1.7w Fenix L1P... 2 of them

Tremendo

Enlightened
These might be the 1st ones out. MillerMods made me 2 new Fenix L1P's with his new 1.7 watt efficient circuit. I don't have the knowledge nor the machines to read the numbers, but I do have a new stock L1P to compare it to and I put pics and a quick review on my web site (link below).

The mod is a "hot rod" mod for a Fenix L1P. Here are my thoughts and pictures...

http://www.tremendo.net/Flashlights/l1p.htm

I would recommend it, and dealing with MillerMods has been a pleasure.

Tom

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you like them, but with a lux change they're a little bit more impressive. Energizer Lithiums increase the drive by about .3 to .4 watts, it's hard to tell really, but I like my MM1.7 with a UX1L running on L91's plus the runtime is a little longer with the L91 and they have a flater discharge curve.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Let me know what Lux change ideas are available that would work. I'm happy with how they are, but I'd definitely consider even brighter.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any lux III U-bin will be brighter than the stock lux I with the 1.7 watt drive level, I don't know how the lux III T-bins are though, they might be brighter than stock lux I at that drive too.

Tremendo

Enlightened
If you get a hold of any U's, let me know. I'm the end-user, not the "modder". The Fenix 2 stage mod is about my limit. :whistle:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the last beamshot, really brings the mod into perspective. Must be patient for mine to hit the mail box, should be late next week or so. I'll post light meter readings, infa-red thermal testing, battery runtimes and light readings at 1.3V, 1.2V, 1.1V and 1.0V to estimate the regulation abilities.

Mine will have the 5 ohm switch option and that should provide enough power for the curcuit. Obviously the curcuit needs the power to regulate and that would explain the 10 ohm option not working correctly. I'll find out.

Mine is specifically for a bicycle helmet light. The larger and brighter hotspot is very welcome and would work much better for helmet use. As always, one would want more and Lumileds will answer the call with the K2. Hopefully, the S bin low voltage LEDs will become available in a few months (group buy!) as my soldering iron is ready.

Thanks again for the beam shots, my hope is to duplicate your "Mod 1" shots.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Yeah, I did the 5 ohm 2 stage mod and it works well. It's pretty bright on low, but high is still a BIG difference. It seems that a Lithium AA is a little brighter on low than the NiMh 2500 aMh. Still, amazing brightness for a little 1xAA light.

I also threw a regular Energizer battery in today just to see what happens and it seemed to run fine. That's good to know, since the ability to buy a AA anywhere and use it is a plus for the L1P.

BobP

Newly Enlightened
Tremendo,
I would appreciate your further thoughts on the low illumination levels. Have you been able to characterize the burn time for high vs. low?

Tremendo

Enlightened
BobP said:
Tremendo,
I would appreciate your further thoughts on the low illumination levels. Have you been able to characterize the burn time for high vs. low?
We estimate low should burn for 8-10 hours, since the circuit is more efficient than the stock L1P. The low is pretty bright, though, and still useful. Great beam shape and color even on low.