Ultraviolet...?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a nasty accident at work to night, while watching the "bio-containment" people clean up the blood trail, it made me think! Gee, how nice would it be to have an ultraviolet led light right now, just like on CSI! Could have used it to find the blood that was missed! Anyone have such a unit?

chiphead

Walking through life at DEFCON-3.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that UV light does nothing useful to aid in detection of blood.

rfwjr

Newly Enlightened
Is it blue light that will pickup the blood trail? I think I read that somewhere here before.

Macaw

Enlightened
Blue light will make blood appear black, as it is absorbed by the blood. This is of use to hunters who track their quarry after the sun goes down. I doubt that it would help enhance blood detection in a lighted environment. And, as stated above blood will not fluoresce under UV. A chemical called Luminol is sprayed around crime scenes and when added to blood stains, will fluoresce under UV. This fact seems to have created the myth that blood will fluoresce by itself under UV.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback fellas, I'd just remembered that an area in the crime scence (on CSI) was sprayed with something first. I think one of my goals this year is to cover the whole light spectrum, I've already got some infared!

chiphead

You're going to see me, I don't care if it's 200 yards or geosychronos orbit!

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
As everyone said -- without adding Luminol to the blood (which don't even need UV), UV won't help by making blood "Glow in the dark", dispite the claims of some others out there :)

Blue light makes blood look black, since it's absorbed by the hemo. Blue light can be useful for many other detections, however. With the correct orange filter, fibers and semen are viewed glowing brightly, as well as other bodily fluids.

Piers!

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
UV is also absorbed by the blood, just like blue. So if the blood stain is on something fluorescing, say a nice white sheet, you can use the UV light to make everything else except the blood glow.

And to make it completely clear: Blood + luminol = glow in the dark. No UV or other light necessary.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
but doesnt UV help excite the luminol chemical illuminescens glow even brighter?

MMXER

Newly Enlightened
I have a keychaing LED blacklight. They can be found here http://ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1022.htm For $6 bucks and free shipping it was pretty good. Only problem I have had is the plastic button for the on/off fell off, but the plastic trigger is still there.

Its a real blacklight. Range is short, but you can see it from far away with the purple glow. It does show up stuff you cant normally see.... Dont even break this out in a hotel room :p.

They call it a money detector, because the strip in big bills glows underblacklight.

Last edited: