SF 1 cell body or VG FB1?

mr_bb

Newly Enlightened
Which of these would you recommend? I have an E2L that I would like to use a single cell in but am in a quandry as to which to choose. Would like the SF with the McE2s but am not crazy about the bezel up carry, neither do I like the clip. Also some of the comments I've seen regarding the tail cap on the FB1 have me undecided.

If I decide on the SF where can I find it? Lighthound doesn't have them.

Since I've been coming here my flashaholism, that I've had for a long time actually, has become much worse. So I'm asking your opinions in return. ;)

This light will be my main EDC along with the LOP for backup.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the VG FB1 myself (in fact, I've been pondering making a light with one myself), if only because of the clip position. IMO, the Surefire clip rides way too high on a 1 cell light (even the longer L1 light). I'd surely lose the light if I were to cycle around with that in my pocket. The FB1 rides far deeper, and with the wider head sitting in the pocket, it'd be less likely to slip out. I cannot comment on the FB1's tailcap issues.

As for the SF body, lighthound does have them. They're marked E1E or E1L. click here. Keep in mind that you'll have to get a tailcap as well.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I'd recommend the VG FB-1 body. Mine works flawlessly and I like the clicky switch a lot! Great build quality as well!
vgfb1kl1.jpg

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think you might ever want to use a two-stage tailcap you might want to consider the SF body or a Balrog or one of McGizmo's bodies. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
My primary EDC is a Vital Gear FB2 with a TW0K-modded BOG module. I love it to pieces... Honestly, any complaints I have are very minor nit-picky things. Pyrex lens instead of a mineral glass window. A few slightly sharp edges here and there. Can't readily get a 2 stage clickie due to the incompatable threads of the tailcap... That's about it. Other than that, it's about perfect in my opinion.

I bought mine used from a well-respected CPFer and have had no issues at all with the tailcap.

IMG_2019a%20manual.jpg

ubermensch

Enlightened
With my FB1 switch, if ever I happen to drop the light tailcap down, the switch mechanism fails. It then requires that I use tweezers to bend apart some components.

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
If you dont like the pocket clip get a Aleph 1X123 body in HA from Lihgthound .

Put a Two stage McE2S on it for two levels . The Aleph body is the cheapest way to go . The VG switch is unreliable IMHO I have had four of them , new and old and they have all failed sooner or later .

If you like a lanyard you could do something like this . :grin2:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104099

Kenny

mr_bb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mountaineer, I'd forgot about the Aleph, may go that way since it's cheaper.

If I do decide on the SF, does anyone know who has them? Lighthound is out of stock.