Which third party optics will work well w/TerraLux TLE-5?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I've been using the TLE-5 modules on all of my AA Mags. However, not being satisfied with the supplied TerraLux reflector, and not being able to sand down the original stock reflectors myself, I've decided to look for other alternatives and have so far narrowed down my choice to these candidates: the McR18, the Fraen LP and the Luxeon NX05.

Unfortunately, almost all members in the group have been discussing these optics WITH RESPECT TO SANDWICH MODULE SYSTEMS ONLY and that discussions regarding the optics' compatibities on a TLE-5 system are often ignored.

Given the design of the TLE-5 which results in a 12mm height protruded from the top of the battery tube (as opposed to only 6mm in a sandwich module system), a shorter reflector is necessary to ensure that the bezel can be effectively screwed down to the Mag body. The included TerraLux reflector is about 10mm high, while the original stock reflector is 12mm. The McR18, however, is 12mm high, the NX05 11.2mm and the Fraen LP of similar (but unknown) height. And this is what really bothers me, because if the resulting bezel (with any of these three optics installed) cannot be screwed in (past the battery tube's o-ring by a few millimeters) the whole flashlight weill be rendered useless.

If you're a dedicated TLE-5 user who have experienced with these third party optics with success, please drop in your feedback here. I need to determine if I should be ordering any of the aforementioned optics shortly.

Thanks again.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM sent in response to your earlier message , but to summarize:

Compared stock MM to MM with TLE5 and Fraen optic:
1. Stock MM was 1/8 inch shorter with head fuly screwed down.
2. The bottom of the head on the TLE5/Fraen MM reached the body o-ring after turning 1 turn from fully screwed down, the stock MM took 1 and a half turns. Head came off both after an additional 1/4 turn.
3. TLE5/NX05 measurements were virtually identical to TLE5/Fraen.

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I don't know if this will help or not, but if you use a Fraen type lens, you don't need the stock plastic window -lose it. That's good for at least a millimeter, and you only have to reduce the overall bezel clearance by 1.2mm if I understand you correctly.

I believe using the window with a Fraen will cause a lot of light to be reflected back into the optics because of the interface between them. -Big losses.
Bernie