Coleman LED Micropacker lantern

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Cruising the aisles of Walmart last night, I spotted a mini lantern that I hadn't seen before. It was with the camping supplies, not in the flashlight section.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5319-700&categoryid=1045

For ten bucks, it's not a bad little light; not in the category of the RR or Osram lanterns, but still nice.

- 2 leds provide a nice low level illumination.
- sits flat on the table
- has a shield on the back that slides up and down.
- good quality plastic housing
- comes with 3 AA batteries
- it has a bail (handle) that folds into the top

I'm sure some could find a few negatives, but for the price, I am well pleased.

jb

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the LEDs arranged two at the bottom, or one at the bottom and one at the top?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
NICE little affordable light!! Can't wait to find some in the stores locally!! These would be good for my little power out kits!!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems to be a nice replacement to the Energizer 4AA/2LED "folding lanterns" that are no longer available. I like the pushbutton switch.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
LowBat said:
Are the LEDs arranged two at the bottom, or one at the bottom and one at the top?
The LED's are located in the center of the vertical tube, one above the other.

I'll leave the disassembly to someone else. :)

Even though it is a low illumation light, it's enough to light a room when your eyes are "dark adjusted".

I edited the original post, my lantern does have a bail. In the folded down position, it blends in so well with the top as to be unnoticeable.

jb

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
My Target didn't have any. I'll have to try Gander Mountain tomorrow since they care Coleman stuff.

Steve

SuperNinja

Enlightened
I saw a couple at Walmart today. Didn't bother getting any though.

Think the River Rock lantern might be a better investment. (Already have one, might get another if it goes on sale)

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
I stopped at Walmart again today after work. They finally had the Micropacker lantern in stock. I picked one up. I compared it to my "Modified" Energizer 4AA folding lantern with Nichia CS LEDs and the Micropacker is not as bright as the Energizer on "dim" mode. Its very close. The Energizer also has a clean spill and is a lot brighter in "bright" mode. I will keep the the Micropacker since its handy for 360 degree use and the long run time.

Steve

speederino

Enlightened
Walmart here had them, but they weren't merchandised down at eye level with the rest of the lanterns. They had 6 of them up hiiiiigh on the shelf, and only the small ends of the boxes were showing. So if you find yourself wandering through walmart and want to check one out, keep your eyes peeled. :huh:

SuperNinja

Enlightened
speederino said:
Walmart here had them, but they weren't merchandised down at eye level with the rest of the lanterns. They had 6 of them up hiiiiigh on the shelf, and only the small ends of the boxes were showing. So if you find yourself wandering through walmart and want to check one out, keep your eyes peeled. :huh:
In cases like that, you have to run over to the fishing aisle, grab a fishing rod, and run back and go fishing for the goods!
fishing6pd.gif

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
I took my Micropacker apart to see how easy it would be to mod. There are only 3 screws in the battery compartment holding the casing together. There is one screw holding the dome in place. It looks like it will be pretty easy light to mod. Room to add more LED's then the 2 LED's that were on the light. The resister is also easy access to replace or change.

coleman.jpg

Steve

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I finally found them at my local Walmart and purchased one. It should be bright enough to use in the tent. I like the small size, fold-a-way handle, and sliding rear mirrored panel. It's so small I may take it along on a night hike and see how well it does when I sit down on a log and eat dinner. In the past I've used a carefully balanced photon as regular flashlights are too bright and directional. This little Coleman might be just about right for long term, short range area illumination.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Glad you found them LowBat.

There were 3 cases of them on the shelf at the local Walmart when I purchased mine. One week later there were 6 left. Somebody must like them. :)

jb

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the box says batteries sold separately, mine came with batteries installed with a little plastic tab you pull out to make contact. I'm surprised these little lanterns aren't getting more attention. At only $10 they are a bargain. Unlike the bigger and brighter River Rock lanterns, these don't have the blinding glare as the LEDs are behind a diffused tube, and the little retractable shield is a nice touch if your eyes are adjusted to low light and you don't want any glare in your direction.