Brainstorming about new designs

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like HDS has the EDC category pretty much sewn up right now but thinking about what makes a light right for a job got me to pondering what might make up the "Ultimate Camping Light". Here are some of my thoughts and I welcome others to join the fun.

-Waterproof (30 ft should be good)
-Must float
-Not too small (hard to find)
-Not too big (hard to pack)
-Plastic (glow in the dark) body or at least the bezel.
-Double barrel design (back-up set of batteries already installed. Either flip a switch or just have a "spare carrier" built in)
-Thermal protection
-Computer control (like the Gladius) that will automatically dim the light to conserve battery life.
-Momentary (signal) and constant on mode.
-Stand up on tailcap.
-Multi Level control
-Throw design, LED and deep reflector, but also with a ring of 4 to 6 of the 5mm LEDs around the bezel for flood (use either or both)
-Gripable with your teeth
-Signal strobe mode (location and S.O.S?)
-Cold resistant (say runs on CR123A batts)
-Color filters
-Low battery warning led (just a tiny red one near the switch or something)

So far what I picture is something similar to, but probably smaller than, the old "right angle" army lights but with two battery tubes inside (one for the batts in use and the other for holding the spares). It would have a rubber "tab" on the back of the head so you could grab it with your teeth if you needed to. The ring of the bezel would be made of GID material and would screw off so you could insert filters that were stored in the tailcap (just like the army light). Etc.

I really wish I had the capability and tools to manufacture at least a prototype of the thing that is in my head, I think many would really like this light <sigh>.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some uses I do backpacking:

Navigating over rough terrian.
This requires a headlamp that allows peripheral vision. Throw is also useful. Maybe the ideal beam would be something with a decent hotspot and a lot of spill. Spill is essential but throw is very good to have.

General travel, on- and off-trail.
It is nice to have a flashlight here, not a headlamp. The shadows give you more depth perception. Same beam as above.

Setting up camp, doing chores.
Again, a headlamp is required. My ideal beam would be floody and not too bright. You need to see what you are doing but not blind yourself.

Reading, writing, stargazing, etc.
I like a red light for night vision and bug prevention. Amber is ok too.

Sleeping.
Ideally I sleep with a flashlight on a wrist lanyard around my wrist. You might need to find something in the tent, make a trip to the "facilities" or light up the 13-foot grizzly bears that always visit my campsite but turn to vapor when the photons hit them. My red SureFire A2 is great for a sleeping light, but I have used LRI Photons too.

Those are tough criteria to fill for a single light. It would be nice to have a headlamp that came off its harness ane could be used as a flashlight. I like the idea of preloaded spares. Maybe the battery compartment could be separate from the lamp. This would give better balance as a headlamp (batts in the back), then you could detach both and plug the battery compartment into the lamp as a flashlight.

Scott

LouRoy

Enlightened
The Eternalight already fulfills almost all of your requirements. Expecially the CPF special.

a99raptors

Enlightened
1. Surefire guarantee
2. Regulated LED
3. 3 settings: 1 lumen, 20 lumens, 150 lumens
4. 100 m throw, with a sidespill equivalent to a P60 lamp assembly
5. Size no bigger than a Surefire L2
6. Runs on 2 CR123 and rechargeable 17650/18650
7. Double O-ring sealed, HA-III, pyrex lens, lock-out twistie multi-stage tailcap, pocket clip
8. Surrounding tritrium vials on the tailcap
9. TID bezel and tailcap :)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know, I never even though about a headlamp format because the "angle head" lights can be clipped on your front and give you a similar "hands free" use. Funny oversight because I use a headlamp all the time when camping.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm not being clear. I wasn't trying to find a currently existing light, I was trying to brainstorm up the ultimate camping light. Thanks for the suggestions though.