Newbie needs some advice

Newly Enlightened
Been reading Flash Light Reviews for a while and ~3 months ago started reading this forum. As a result of this education, I decided to buy the Arc and Fenix as well as a couple of RR 2AAA and a Dorcy 1AAA and . . . . .

I recently received my Arc AAA-P and was very satisfied with all aspects of the light. I ordered it before all the Fenix LOP and Pacific buzz started.

My dilema:
The Arc has stopped working. I know Arc will make things right, but I still have to send it in for repair. I understand these things happen but I originally decided to buy the Arc due to the bullet proof dependability and quality construction. Again I realize I am one of very few to experience a problem, but I now wonder if the Arc is the best choice in the price range with the new competition.

Should I
a) Ask for a refund (I am still within the 30 day satisfaction guarantee) and get a Pacific instead? It seems like it will be brighter but I am not sure I will like the oversized head, although I did EDC a 1xAAA Dorcy while waiting for the Arc. I would realistically wait until some reviews of the Pacific come out and could very well buy an Arc later

b) Have the Arc repaired - it is a great size and has a longer run time but less light than the Pacific. It also seemed to fit my needs.

I am not really interested in the LOP - run time is too short.

I already have a Fenix L1 (it is an L1 from LightHound with the L1P LED) but prefer a smaller size/longer runtime for my EDC.

My wife suggested I buy both (Arc and Pacific) but since I will only EDC one, the other will end up a shelf queen next to the other aquisitions. She has a Silver RR 2AAA in her purse.

Thanks in advance!!

carrot

Flashaholic
Before you send it off for repair, have you tried cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser? Inside the body tube and on the solder blob?

FirstDsent

Enlightened
My wife suggested I buy both (Arc and Pacific)...She has a Silver RR 2AAA in her purse
Props to your wife, dude. -Really
My wife just doesn't understand the satsifaction I get from a good flashlight. -Her only flaw, come to think of it.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Yes!

I cleaned the threads using q-tips
I cleaned the blob on the head using eraser
I cleaned the nub in the body using eraser
I tried different batteries. I actually got the opposite results of the Arc demo video. Solitaire shines brightly, move battery to Arc and it barely lights

I EDC'd it in my Jeans pocket and never opened - still original battery.

carrot

Flashaholic
I am under the impression that the Arc-AAA is a bit overrated and overhyped. I own an Arc-AA, and while I think it is a fantastic light, I note a few flaws -- possible weakness in the circuit board head crimp and the solder blob contact... why can't it be a little circle of gold plated metal? And on top of that, the LEDs are overdriven, so they will dim over time.

That said, I am pretty sure I'll be ordering one in the near future, but I wouldn't make it my primary use light.

You could look at the Peak Matterhorn, it's just slightly longer than the Arc. Don't know if they're overdriven.

I'd say if you were happy with the Arc, get it repaired.

Or you could do what a lot of CPFers apparently do... buy both, and rotate them for daily use.

bwm

Newly Enlightened
I say get the Arc repaired.

I have an HDS EDC60GT but since I received my Arc AAA-P I find I have been using the Arc almost exclusively since it is small enough to fit in the coin pocket of my pants so that I have it on me when I need a flashlight. The HDS is in the backpack so to use it I would have to go get it first. Note: most of my need for a flashlight is for illuminating things within 15 feet so the extra throw of the HDS does not come into play.

TBY

Newly Enlightened
I like the way your wife thinks. All the lights mentioned by you are sub $50, so it shouldn't break your bank if you have more than one. It's actually good advice, but that's preaching to the choir. It seems to me that you really want to get the Pacific. You mentioned the brightness of the Pacific over the AAA-P twice. For some, the AAA-P provides plenty of light. For others, this may not be the case. You don't favor the L0P, because although it's brighter, the runtime is shorter in comparison. So basically you want the smallest, brightest, dependable, rugged light with a good runtime, right? That's what we all want! It all comes down to your personal criteria.

I too, being a relative newbie, thought the AAA-P was the undisputed champion, the best of the best, of small lights. When they went out of business, I kicked myself for not getting one (or some). When they came back into business, I jumped at my chance. However, I encountered my share of problems too. Here's the short version: I sent the light back twice during my 30 day satisfaction guarantee period. I became more and more disappointed and frustrated during this process. With the 3rd incarnation, all was well.

In the end, I realized that no product or company, no matter how solid the reputation, is perfect. Perfect is subjective of course. I no longer feel that the AAA-P is the "perfect" light. Returning it twice made me question their quality control, amongst other things. Nevertheless, now that I got a good one, it's a GREAT light. It does all I need it to do in its EDC role and now I trust it. Speaking of great, that's what Merri's customer service is. Their 30 day satisfaction guarantee and repair/warranty policy ain't so bad either. If you give them a chance they will make it right.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your wife said "buy both"! Do we have a "CPF wife of the year"?

Send the AAA-P back for repair and buy a Pacific AAA. You can do a comparison yourself to see which one you prefer. The Arc AAA is smaller and has 5 hours of runtime on an alkaline. The Pacific will be brighter, whiter but with a larger head and 3 hours of alkaline runtme (5 hours on lithium AAA)

After you make your decision, give the other light to your wonderful wife. Maybe she will tell you to get a HDS U85GT later on...

drmaxx

Enlightened
The best light is the one that you actually have at hand and that's the one you feel comfortable carring around and using it. In my case it is a Peak Matterhorn. Small enough to be on my keychain and I can use it extensively without me beeing worried about the battery or cost.
So, me beeing in your situation I guess I would repair the Arc or get the money back and get something very similar if you do not trust the Arc anymore. It proved to be handy - stick to it.

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your advice. As of right now, I plan to get the Arc repaired. Will wait until Monday to send out.

My thinking is that neither the Arc or the Pacific is the ultimate light for me, so I may as well stick with the known quantity. It will take a few months before the verdict is out on the Pacific.

I live in the suburbs where power outages are rare.
I don't have a dog or take night walks or hunt.
I am unwilling to turn to the CR123A side of the force.
I am an engineer who respects well made tools.
I am a parent who won't spend a lot on money on a flashlight (Arc is most expensive to date, but I covet an HDS XR!)

My ideal light will:
1) run on easy to find single AA or AAA (AAA would be better for EDC)
2) have at least Hi/Lo mode for brightness. Lo mode would last 8 hours or more and be an awesome night light in a power outage
3) have at least wide/narrow setting for beam, but head will be same diameter as Body for packetability. (I'm thinking it could slide in/out for the preset focus, kinda like the Energizer light I've seen, but the beam would always come out from the head)
4) stand on end
5) have good regulation (HDS style would be awesome)
6) have a click style switch (doen't SureFire make a clickie switch with 2 modes?)

I tried the 2 stage mod on my Fenix but didn't like the twisty/click combo. I would prefer a more sophisticated clickie.

I've thought about this a bit - let me know if there are other features I should ask for!

Thanks again for all your help!!
(and the bonus points I'll get from my wife when she reads your posts!!)

Chris201W

Enlightened
8686 said:
I am unwilling to turn to the CR123A side of the force.
When I first started posting here on CPF, I felt the same way you do, but let me tell you, there are so many great flashlights you're missing out on by refusing to use 123A batteries. With so many places to get them cheap on the internet (cheaper than D cells in the drug store), it's just not worth it to restrict yourself to alkalines.

carrot

Flashaholic
Since you're an engineer maybe you can design a 2-stage click switch for your Fenix? (And sell it! I have the same qualms with the twist/click combo.)

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
maybe you can design a 2-stage click switch for your Fenix?

Maybe after the kids are grown . . .

Actually - I think I'd rather tackle the spot/flood mod for the Fenix 1st. I am waiting to see what the other Fenix series will bring!

Last edited: