RMSK, Inc.        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am 122 lbs over weight?

Flashaholic*

Default I am 122 lbs over weight?

Yup, tipped the scales at 322lbs the other day at the docs office. THe nurse couldnt beleive it. THe doc was ready to rip into me, then when he opened the door he saw a 6 foot 3 guy with chest length blond hair, beard, size 44 jeans and 3x shirt. He said he was going to say something, but he too didnt think I looked fat. Said the weight could be muscle and spread around my body than just the gut area. I told him I only work with 20lbs and wouldnt want to kidd myself that "its muscle".

Man.... How did I get this far, how further will I go, where do I go from here? Guess I need to buy one of those traditional cross trainers where the arms and legs are worked like i have used in the past? The elliptical bothers my knees too bad and getting the knees looked at later this month.

Any other "fat" or "big" guys here?

Default Re: I am 122 lbs over weight?

ya are almsot 1 foot more tall then me i bet ya are all muscle
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

I'm just too short for my weight!
    -"Must control self"-

I'd say you're more than 122lbs overweight unless ya very muscular. I'm one inch shorter than you and weigh 182 lbs. If you look at body mass I'm almost overweight but I'm lean, I would think unless you look like arnold (I'll be back) then you are in the morbid obese section an you really need to lose weight for your own health. Being heavy increases your risk of diabetes, cancer and heart disease.

im 5,4 or 5,6 and im like 160 lbs im overweights
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

What is your percentage of bodyweight fat? That is much more indicative if you are overweight then what the actual pounds the scale reads.
    I live in a van down by the river

BMI is ya weight in pounds divided by ya height in inches (squared) x 703 if its under 25 ya ok as far as weight goes, obviously ya have to consider ya frame and wether or not ya athletic in build , if ya over 30 then ya obese an over 35 ya morbidly obese.

Enlightened

BMI isn't always a good indicator of whether you're carrying a healthy amount of weight. A lot of pro athletes are technically obese by their BMI's.

Whether you're overweight depends on a lot of factors, like how athletic you are, how big a frame you have, etc. And then there's genetics. Some people will never hit an ideal BMI.

Overall fitness and health is more important than just weight. One of my close friends was technically "overweight", but she was in much better athletic condition than a lot of my normal weight friends.

thats why I said "obviously ya have to consider ya frame and wether or not ya athletic in build " So if ya score over 25 getting towards 30 ya can excuse that with athletiscism, but if ya pushin 40 unless ya a power lifter or heavy weight boxer then ya obese
    Last edited by SolarFlare; 02-03-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Flashaholic*

My doc didnt have a way to measure it, but said around 30. I told him I thought that ment I was about to drop dead of fatdom, he said thats 35 percent.

I wont denie that I am fat. I also know many of those scales they use for rating of healthy weight do not take verything into account like muscle mass, etc.

Think last I watched fox news they said something about hip to waist ratio was the best bet. Someone could be fat and healthy if both were different sizes, if both were the same or similar size and skinny, they could be at rick of dropping dead from a heart attack.

Flashaholic*

Hello, my name is Bob and I'm fat.
    Okay, all together now, "Hiiii Bob."

I'm a hair under 6 feet and just tipped the scales at 240. Despite the one-size-fits-all BMI numbers I know a very fit weight for me would be 190.

I just came back from my second 1.5 mile walk (with hills), with the first one being two days ago. I'm focusing on getting myself in better condition first and will start working on the weight when I have established a good habit of aerobic exercise.

BTW, I have to eat less to lose weight. I have had countless people tell me that exercise is the best way to lose weight. Well, obviously I value exercise, but I have never lost a pound from exercise and I have tried several different forms and kept them up long enough that I should have seen some weight loss if it was going to happen at all.

Good luck to you Cobb and try to take a long view of it. I'm sure you've heard it before but, "You didn't put it all on in a month and you won't take it all off in a month." Slow and steady is the way to go.
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

It's not the size, it's what you do with it.

If you excersize regularly, have low cholesterol and don't smoke, your chances of a heart attack are lower than they would be otherwise.

In most cases, it does NOT hurt to lose a few pounds.

The hard part about those BMI studies? They can't have you get fatter AND lose weight at the same time to see which version of you lives longer.

I CAN tell you that the extra 100 pounds are probably making your knee problems worse. Much worse.

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

I am 6' and weigh 220 to 230 and know that my ideal weight is about 190. Boy do I miss those days when I had that spring in my step since I was not carrying the extra load.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz
    I am 6' and weigh 220 to 230 and know that my ideal weight is about 190. Boy do I miss those days when I had that spring in my step since I was not carrying the extra load.
    I hear ya. I'm just getting back into hiking again and would love to carry a 40 lb pack and still be carrying less than I do now with no pack.
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

Quote Originally Posted by drizzle
    I hear ya. I'm just getting back into hiking again and would love to carry a 40 lb pack and still be carrying less than I do now with no pack.

Hehe...I have a pack but it's on the wrong side of my body. I definitley need to get it under control so I get off the blood pressure medicine. YUCK!

i'm 6ft 175lb....
    i have a small frame so i'm overweight

i was super skinny for YEARS 125-130lb i stop smoke and start working out alot taking protein shake. i was lookin good... now i stop working out so much and got a little gut. so i need to loose about 20lb fats and replace with 10lb a muscle. 165lb

Let's see. . .How tall do I weigh?

I my sphere, I'm heavy and tip the scales at 68kg (150lbs) and stand at 172.72cm or 68"!

There's a fitness workout place around here that measures one's bodyfat by submersion into an "egg" like pod filled with water. They claim that's the most accurate. I don't know. . .
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    There's a fitness workout place around here that measures one's bodyfat by submersion into an "egg" like pod filled with water. They claim that's the most accurate. I don't know. . .
    I've heard it's the most accurate but that taking several caliper measurements of skin thickness from different parts of the body can be just about as accurate.

I use a Tanita scale that tells me my weight and body fat. It measures what Tanita calls Bioelectric Impedance. Here is their explanation. According to consumer reports the actual body fat percentage numbers aren't terribly accurate but they are at least consistent. I would like to get that submersion body fat calculation done just once so I can "calibrate" my scale.
    Bob

Interesting that "Tanita Scale" you've mentioned and linked.

If my memory serves me correctly, that place that does that water submersion body fat calculation is somewhere around $55.00 or so, probably a little higher. And you don't have to be a member to have that done!
    LUX'Ottica

....I am 5'7" and weigh 160. I am overweight. I am an orthopedic nurse. The overwhelming factor in determining who will need knee and hip replacements is obesity. We do lots of joint replacements in my hospital and the slim and fit joint replacement patient is very rare. In the ten years I have been in nursing the age of joint replacement patients keeps declining. We now have many patients in their 40s. The only good news for them is that their replaced joints may last long enough for them to reach their early grave.
    ....Most of our health problems are self induced. If everyone would maintain a healthy weight through a reasonable balance of diet and exercise and not smoke and not use drugs and drink only in moderation and not drive while intoxicated and wear seatbelts the rate of hospital admissions would plummet.
    jc

Flashaholic*

Well put JC. That should be a wake up call to all of us. My mother has two artificial knees after being very overweight from about 40 on. I think about that from time to time.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
    Most of our health problems are self induced. If everyone would maintain a healthy weight through a reasonable balance of diet and exercise and not smoke and not use drugs and drink only in moderation and not drive while intoxicated and wear seatbelts the rate of hospital admissions would plummet.
    Indeed! And what Drizzle said. . .
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic

Wow seems like everyone is going through the same thing as me this week. I got out of the shower on saturday night and looked at the mirror and was disgusted at what I saw... I'm 5'11" and was 200 pounds, now I'm 265, and its all happened since I took my new job, with long hours and poor eating habits. I've started working out again, and eating less and eating much healthier meals. I'm down like a pound and a half this week. so I reckon that leaves 63.5 to go.

Here's to being healthy.

thertel

All the heavy muscle is under my lightweight fatty insulation

I should start exercising, but my luck.. id get hit by a buss or something, and then itd all be a waste.

Flashaholic*

I've got an extra 45 lbs that I'm carrying around. I'm 6'1" and currently weigh 245 lbs. I''ve got a rather large frame though, so my ideal weight would be around 200 lbs. I've got a 40" waist and 45" chest. I've been working at UPS the last five years tossing heavy boxes around for 4-5 hours a night, so that is about the only thing keeping me from gaining even more. I can basically eat whatever I want, and as much as I want of it, and I don't go over 245 lbs. 4-5 hours of exercise a day helps I guess.

Due to the nature of my job though, I never get enough sleep, after I get off work, I get maybe 4 hours of sleep before I have to get up and watch my kids all day. If I'm lucky, I might get another 2-3 hours of sleep when my wife gets home. The lack of sleep affects my willpower and self-control when it comes to eating.The times when I have been able to control my eating and eat a normal amount of calories, I've been able to lose weight at a moderate pace, usually around 5 lbs a month, due to my daily "exercise routine" at work. Two years ago I went on a crash diet and lost 30 lbs in 2-3 months, but gained it all back over the following 6-8 months.

If I can ever get back to a normal sleep routine of 7-8 hours a day (at the same time), I'll probably be able to drop most of my excess weight, but that won't happen until both of my kids start school (3 1/2 more years), or we pay the big $$$ for a babysitter to watch the kids every morning so I can sleep after I get home from work. I'm beginning to think that paying a babysitter would be worth the money if it would help me lose some of this weight.

-Keith
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by gadget_lover
    I CAN tell you that the extra 100 pounds are probably making your knee problems worse. Much worse.Daniel
    If I could just upstrap or cut the weight off I would. I do exercise and diet. It seems exercising is causing me to gain weight. If my knee didnt kill me while on the elliptical, I would ride it more.

Well, I'm most certainly not a heavy guy. I'm 6' even and weigh "around" 160 most of the time. Still have bad back and ankle problems, but I think I was born with that. Need to spend more time working out to be honest.

I have a Tanita scale. It's a great scale for weighing, but the BMI thing is sort of a joke. Depending on how dry you are, or what you've been doing, etc it goes all over the map. Same thing as the Scientology "E-Meter" scam.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

currently 38years old 6'5" 243 pounds and the BMI says I am obese. Even when I swam, boxed and did body building I weighed 207 and was still technically overweight with a size 58" chest. I have taken up brisk walking for a minimum of 30 minutes a day and sometimes for up to a hour. Reading has taught me that in order to get down to 200 pounds I will have to do at least 1 hour and 30 minutes every single day. Currently with 2 small kids around the house the best I can do is 1 hour. Jogging was the best but my arches collapsed after 6 months of that.

The scary thing about weight gain is that it takes very little over eating to do it. A person only needs to eat on average 50 extra calories a day to gain a pound a year. 50 calories is only one extra bite of food spread among your 3 daily meals. I know people that eat the right types of food and exercise well and still wonder why they are 30 pounds overweight 30 years our of highschool.

My grandmother was right, "always leave the table a little hungry"
    "Before the invention of the internet, village idiots tended to stay in their own villages"

Flashaholic*

I am 40 an 6' tall 162 pounds...
    I ride my recumbent bike (the two-wheeled type that goes down the street, not the gym stationary) Ride anywere from 20 to 55 miles a week depending on weather. Yes, I go to the gym to keep the muscle strength up to support my knees and back.
    When I was 18, I weighed 126 pounds, 19, 148 pounds, 20 153 pounds and it stabilized there for a few years. Hit 25 and my weight varied between 155 and 165 pounds. I was 162 when I got married so 14 years later still stable.
    One year I worked out 3 days a week for an hour a day to build muscle mass in an attempt to bulk up. After the year, I was stronger, more cut but my body weight was within 2 pounds of my starting weight. My muscles will not increase in size much and the workout is limited by wrist/elbow joint pain.
    One thing you can do is get your TSH levels tested. As one gets older, their thyroid puts out less hormones and the matabolism slows down naturally. While you are there, get a few other things tested while you are at it.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

I'm 55 years old, 225 lbs and 6' 1".

I just lost 30 lbs over the last 5 months.

For the moment, I'm shooting for 215 lbs and I will re-evaluate my target weight when I get there. I used to play raquetball pretty regularly until I started to mess up my knee. I know now that the extra weight was the root of that problem. Since I am lighter, I have that "spring in my step" that I missed for so many years and I realize the extra weight was making me feel "old before my time".

I used to think I could eat whatever I wanted and my weight wouldn't go up. Well, that was at 210 then 211 then 212 then 213 then... You get the idea. It took a long time for me to put the weight on (years). I'm sort of stuck now at the 225 weight but when the nice weather returns, I'll go back to my 1.5 mile daily walks (with steep hills) and hopefully continue on down.

Our whole family (me, wife, son, daughter) are all on weight watchers and it has really helped doing it together.
    ITS Good 4.US ...Renewable fuels create 2.46 million new jobs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast