I am 122 lbs over weight?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, tipped the scales at 322lbs the other day at the docs office. THe nurse couldnt beleive it. THe doc was ready to rip into me, then when he opened the door he saw a 6 foot 3 guy with chest length blond hair, beard, size 44 jeans and 3x shirt. He said he was going to say something, but he too didnt think I looked fat. Said the weight could be muscle and spread around my body than just the gut area. I told him I only work with 20lbs and wouldnt want to kidd myself that "its muscle".

Man.... How did I get this far, how further will I go, where do I go from here? Guess I need to buy one of those traditional cross trainers where the arms and legs are worked like i have used in the past? The elliptical bothers my knees too bad and getting the knees looked at later this month.

Any other "fat" or "big" guys here?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ya are almsot 1 foot more tall then me i bet ya are all muscle

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I'd say you're more than 122lbs overweight unless ya very muscular. I'm one inch shorter than you and weigh 182 lbs. If you look at body mass I'm almost overweight but I'm lean, I would think unless you look like arnold (I'll be back) then you are in the morbid obese section an you really need to lose weight for your own health. Being heavy increases your risk of diabetes, cancer and heart disease.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your percentage of bodyweight fat? That is much more indicative if you are overweight then what the actual pounds the scale reads.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
BMI is ya weight in pounds divided by ya height in inches (squared) x 703 if its under 25 ya ok as far as weight goes, obviously ya have to consider ya frame and wether or not ya athletic in build , if ya over 30 then ya obese an over 35 ya morbidly obese.

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
BMI isn't always a good indicator of whether you're carrying a healthy amount of weight. A lot of pro athletes are technically obese by their BMI's.

Whether you're overweight depends on a lot of factors, like how athletic you are, how big a frame you have, etc. And then there's genetics. Some people will never hit an ideal BMI.

Overall fitness and health is more important than just weight. One of my close friends was technically "overweight", but she was in much better athletic condition than a lot of my normal weight friends.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
thats why I said "obviously ya have to consider ya frame and wether or not ya athletic in build " ;) So if ya score over 25 getting towards 30 ya can excuse that with athletiscism, but if ya pushin 40 unless ya a power lifter or heavy weight boxer then ya obese

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My doc didnt have a way to measure it, but said around 30. I told him I thought that ment I was about to drop dead of fatdom, he said thats 35 percent.

I wont denie that I am fat. I also know many of those scales they use for rating of healthy weight do not take verything into account like muscle mass, etc.

Think last I watched fox news they said something about hip to waist ratio was the best bet. Someone could be fat and healthy if both were different sizes, if both were the same or similar size and skinny, they could be at rick of dropping dead from a heart attack.

drizzle

Enlightened
Hello, my name is Bob and I'm fat.
Okay, all together now, "Hiiii Bob." :grouphug: :)

I'm a hair under 6 feet and just tipped the scales at 240. Despite the one-size-fits-all BMI numbers I know a very fit weight for me would be 190.

I just came back from my second 1.5 mile walk (with hills), with the first one being two days ago. I'm focusing on getting myself in better condition first and will start working on the weight when I have established a good habit of aerobic exercise.

BTW, I have to eat less to lose weight. I have had countless people tell me that exercise is the best way to lose weight. Well, obviously I value exercise, but I have never lost a pound from exercise and I have tried several different forms and kept them up long enough that I should have seen some weight loss if it was going to happen at all.

Good luck to you Cobb and try to take a long view of it. I'm sure you've heard it before but, "You didn't put it all on in a month and you won't take it all off in a month." Slow and steady is the way to go.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's not the size, it's what you do with it.

If you excersize regularly, have low cholesterol and don't smoke, your chances of a heart attack are lower than they would be otherwise.

In most cases, it does NOT hurt to lose a few pounds.

The hard part about those BMI studies? They can't have you get fatter AND lose weight at the same time to see which version of you lives longer.

I CAN tell you that the extra 100 pounds are probably making your knee problems worse. Much worse.

Daniel

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am 6' and weigh 220 to 230 and know that my ideal weight is about 190. Boy do I miss those days when I had that spring in my step since I was not carrying the extra load. :)

drizzle

Enlightened
Nitroz said:
I am 6' and weigh 220 to 230 and know that my ideal weight is about 190. Boy do I miss those days when I had that spring in my step since I was not carrying the extra load. :)
I hear ya. I'm just getting back into hiking again and would love to carry a 40 lb pack and still be carrying less than I do now with no pack.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
drizzle said:
I hear ya. I'm just getting back into hiking again and would love to carry a 40 lb pack and still be carrying less than I do now with no pack.

Hehe...I have a pack but it's on the wrong side of my body. :laughing: I definitley need to get it under control so I get off the blood pressure medicine. YUCK!

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm 6ft 175lb....
i have a small frame so i'm overweight

i was super skinny for YEARS 125-130lb i stop smoke and start working out alot taking protein shake. i was lookin good... now i stop working out so much and got a little gut. so i need to loose about 20lb fats and replace with 10lb a muscle. 165lb

CLHC

Flashaholic
Let's see. . .How tall do I weigh?

I my sphere, I'm heavy and tip the scales at 68kg (150lbs) and stand at 172.72cm or 68"!

There's a fitness workout place around here that measures one's bodyfat by submersion into an "egg" like pod filled with water. They claim that's the most accurate. I don't know. . .

drizzle

Enlightened
CHC said:
There's a fitness workout place around here that measures one's bodyfat by submersion into an "egg" like pod filled with water. They claim that's the most accurate. I don't know. . .
I've heard it's the most accurate but that taking several caliper measurements of skin thickness from different parts of the body can be just about as accurate.

I use a Tanita scale that tells me my weight and body fat. It measures what Tanita calls Bioelectric Impedance. Here is their explanation. According to consumer reports the actual body fat percentage numbers aren't terribly accurate but they are at least consistent. I would like to get that submersion body fat calculation done just once so I can "calibrate" my scale.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting that "Tanita Scale" you've mentioned and linked.

If my memory serves me correctly, that place that does that water submersion body fat calculation is somewhere around $55.00 or so, probably a little higher. And you don't have to be a member to have that done!

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
....I am 5'7" and weigh 160. I am overweight. I am an orthopedic nurse. The overwhelming factor in determining who will need knee and hip replacements is obesity. We do lots of joint replacements in my hospital and the slim and fit joint replacement patient is very rare. In the ten years I have been in nursing the age of joint replacement patients keeps declining. We now have many patients in their 40s. The only good news for them is that their replaced joints may last long enough for them to reach their early grave.
....Most of our health problems are self induced. If everyone would maintain a healthy weight through a reasonable balance of diet and exercise and not smoke and not use drugs and drink only in moderation and not drive while intoxicated and wear seatbelts the rate of hospital admissions would plummet.
jc