7 Watt luxeon?

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
:huh2:
I bought a "7 watt" luxeon flashlight.

Its similar to the ones you find on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/P73-New-Luxeon-7-Watt-LED-Flashlight-Torch-w-2x-CR123A_W0QQitemZ8760474075QQcategoryZ117110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It lights up nicely, with two c123 in it.

Questions:

1. does anyone have experience with this?
2. Is it really 7 Watts?

I took it apart to find out what it has inside. Didn't look like it has a driver module in it.

I tried it on one C123, it lights up but dimmmer.

I want to know if I would burn it up if I mod it to run it on a 3.7 v Li-Ion battery.

Thanks for any advice.

dcarch8:sweat:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds suspicious. But then again, if there's no driver, it's probably 7W of extreme overdrive (probably direct drive with no resistor--YOW!). There's no such thing as a 7W luxeon, at least I never heard of such a beast. There's so much mis information and deceptive marketing out there that I almost discount everything I see these days, especially if it's on E-bay, when claims such as these are made. If you can compare the light to reputable makers like Surefire, it would be useful. As far as a Li-Ion, one would probably drive it just right. I would probably not try it with two Li-Ion 123's since you will most likely kick the PTC into action.

dcarch8 said:
:huh2
I bought a "7 watt" luxeon flashlight.

Its similar to the ones you find on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/P73-New-Luxeon-7-Watt-LED-Flashlight-Torch-w-2x-CR123A_W0QQitemZ8760474075QQcategoryZ117110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It lights up nicely, with two c123 in it.

Questions:

1. does anyone have experience with this?
2. Is it really 7 Watts?

I took it apart to find out what it has inside. Didn't look like it has a driver module in it.

I tried it on one C123, it lights up but dimmmer.

I want to know if I would burn it up if I mod it to run it on a 3.7 v Li-Ion battery.

Thanks for any advice.

dcarch8:sweat:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
..There's no such thing as a 7W luxeon, at least I never heard of such a beast....

By the title of the thread, I looked because I thought this thread was about a K2! :grin2:

I got a couple 7 Watt Luxeon lights and they are being driven below spec! :crackup: But then again if the Vf drops by .5 volts in a little while per the new K2 data sheet they won't be 7 watt Luxeons anymore. :p