Dorcy 1AAA Chrome Edition

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
Chrome mod,voltage mod,mjled mod, chrome reflector mod as well,removed the stock white one... What do you guys think?

img35640tu.jpg
img35660tv.jpg

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I'll take it and the Michelob ultra. Where did you find this light?

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
It used to be red,This is just one of the many mods this light has undergone :) Edited the first post,forgot to mention that I replaced the stock reflector that was white with a chrome refelctor ;)

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice polishing job! How did you get it to shine so well? Is the output fairly bright from the 1aaa?

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
I thought this thread would get more replies for some reason:p

I put the light in a half" chuck drill,used 3 differnt grades of sand paper,220/600/1500,Then polished it with that cotton type metal polisher material,untill it got smok'n hot,There ya go,chrome :D

beefbowl

Newly Enlightened
how did u do it?

i just realized u answered my question before i asked it with the previous post. its been one of those days lol

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
That's pretty cool. Only uses 1 AAA battery? Must be really nice and handy. What kind of bulb does it use or is it LED?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
That's pretty cool. Only uses 1 AAA battery? Must be really nice and handy. What kind of bulb does it use or is it LED?

you never seen a Dorcy 1AAA?
it's a 5mm led with a small boost driver..

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:

Get thee to a Wal Mart post haste. Or rather several as these are hard to keep in stock. The plain Jane unpolished ones that is.

After buffing, did you clear coat (Krylon anodize :) ) or have it anodized? Did you make the reflector or find a readymade one?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
beware all that the new versions of the Dorcy AAA have no reflector to speak of. Not that they ever needed one with a full dommed 5mm led, but the lens on the new ones is a pathetic attempt at a focused beam. It provides no spill. It uses a focusing lens that just cuts the overall light from this great little gem. If i got a new version I'd probly run it without the lens at all for max brightness. I might spray paint the white plastic reflector a shiney silver and use a cut high output led like the nichia cs. I never heard of this voltage mod though.

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
beefbowl said:
how did u do it?

i just realized u answered my question before i asked it with the previous npost. its been one of those days lol

lol np :p I have those days as well..

Xrunner said:
Nice work... does the finish feel slick or have more of a rough polished feel to it?

-Mike

It has a smooth feel to it :)

InfidelCastro said:

It has a mjled in it,the same one that the river rock/nuwai's use..

Pellidon said:
Get thee to a Wal Mart post haste. Or rather several as these are hard to keep in stock. The plain Jane unpolished ones that is.

After buffing, did you clear coat (Krylon anodize :) ) or have it anodized? Did you make the reflector or find a readymade one?

I did not clear coat it,although I thought about it,I am still gonna take it a step further with the polishing,Dont know when I will get around to it though.. The reflector is from the regular Docry..

carbine15 said:
beware all that the new versions of the Dorcy AAA have no reflector to speak of. Not that they ever needed one with a full dommed 5mm led, but the lens on the new ones is a pathetic attempt at a focused beam. It provides no spill. It uses a focusing lens that just cuts the overall light from this great little gem. If i got a new version I'd probly run it without the lens at all for max brightness. I might spray paint the white plastic reflector a shiney silver and use a cut high output led like the nichia cs. I never heard of this voltage mod though.

The dorcy with the domed lens it slightly shorter than the regular dorcy,and has a white reflector,So I took the chrome reflector out of a regulare dorcy and put it in this one,the reflector is also shorter,as you may know the smjled isnt a focused led..

As far as voltage,For now I have just removed the resistor,and intend to add another boost circuit in it,Another boost citcuit seemed to work,when I hot wired it,I shall test it again and see how its gonna go...That little triple A isnt gonna last very long at all lol:p

Russ

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja said:
Saw a post a long while back on a different way to get a chrome Dorcy.
Dorcy AAA Mod+Pics
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84291

Hmm never saw that for some reason,But it doesnt look like his is as shiney as mine :)

Omega Man said:
Would a smjled work in a Dorcy without removing the resistor?

I kind of doubt it,I actually used the .5 watt led from a nuwai light that took a dump,And it pulls the output voltage down to 1volt,cant give ma,since I have no way to measure it,But it is fairly bright,almost as bright as the 1aaa nuwai,when compared with the nuwai lens in the dorcy they are super close..

Russ