Quick Turbo Tax question

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you save your return as a pdf? I just did my taxes using this year's turbo tax and the federal return file is saved in this .tax format which I imagine is proprietary to turbo tax. In previous years I was able to save the file as a .pdf. I wasn't too impressed with this year's Turbo Tax. Last year I did turbo tax online and it was much simpler. This year's version (retail not online) is cluttered with a tabbed interface and then subheadings for each tab that you go thru. I just liked to walked thru it step by step without worry if I have completed all the steps for that tab. Also they charge $25 to efile the return and another $20 "processing" fee. This of course is on top of what you paid for the software. Are there free ways to efile a federal and state return without being in the poverty income level?

J_Oei

Enlightened
If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can select the virtual printer and print to a PDF file. We do this all the time at work.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I have not loaded this years TurboTax yet so I can't speak to that. For other applications I use a freeware program called PDF995. You choose it as a printer and it "prints" to a pdf file.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, it's right there in the File menu - how did you miss it?

turbotax.png