Can you hear me now?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a sticker on my truck that says "Get off the phone and drive"

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another bumper sticker: "Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones do."

I witnessed an SUV drive completely through a storefront window because the driver was distracted by her cell phone conversation. :ohgeez:

Safety1st

Enlightened
As a LEO, I deal with such things regularly...

It's so inconsiderate, cheap and selfish to buy a $40,000 car and then not fork out a little money to buy a hands-free kit.....

I worked in an unmarked police vehicle yesterday, and a driver was in a vehicle following mine..and was chatting away on this phone and didn't even notice when my electronic sign lit up in my back window....:rant:

Cue lots of noise and flashing lights...and the driver throwing his cell phone in the rear of his car...:whistle:

Busted....:xyxgun:

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is your electronic sign in your back window ?

some thing new ?

I wonder if they will re attach her arm ?

with out it she really needs a hands free kit

maybe she will use her legs to steer and her remaining hand to yak

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can almost always tell the undercover cops by their antennas or in some cases lack of them and one well centered one on the trunk lid or top. Then you got the fixtures in the rear window, front window, grill. Off duty cops are impossible to spot unless they are still in uniform.

I just dont understand why these folks dont use their shoulder to hold the phone, knees to steer and hands for a PSP.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul said:
I have a sticker on my truck that says "Get off the phone and drive"

To bad you can't put that on the front of the windshield with reverse lettering like an ambulance so when you are behind someone on the phone they will get the point.:)

That or just have one of the LED signs that you can type what you want it to say and have it scroll across the screen. :naughty:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nitroz said:
...That or just have one of the LED signs that you can type what you want it to say and have it scroll across the screen. :naughty:

They actually make those for cars. They can store a few pre-programmed messages as well as custom ones. They're a little pricey and I'm not sure of the legality of using one in your back window, as much as it would seem prudent at times.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
They actually make those for cars. They can store a few pre-programmed messages as well as custom ones. They're a little pricey and I'm not sure of the legality of using one in your back window, as much as it would seem prudent at times.

I am sure you would get into some trouble with it and cause some road rage from other drivers when you tell them in plain english to "chuck off", instead of the finger.

Safety1st

Enlightened
cobb said:
You can almost always tell the undercover cops by their antennas or in some cases lack of them and one well centered one on the trunk lid or top. Then you got the fixtures in the rear window, front window, grill.

My undercover car, in the UK, is a Volvo V70. It only has one antennae on the roof. The camera in the rear window is the size of a marker pen, and the front camera is about the size of 2 x cigarette packets together.

The grille lights are behind the grill and the LEDs only show when activated...

There's not many who realise it's a police vehicle, until too late...:naughty:

Safety1st

Enlightened
markdi said:
what is your electronic sign in your back window ?

some thing new ?

It's an LED message board.....that has various messages which rotate through each word...

off the top of my head.....there are;
---------------------------------------------

POLICE

POLICE STOP

POLICE SLOW

SWITCH YOUR FOG LIGHTS OFF

DON'T DRIVE AND USE MOBILE PHONE

FOLLOW ME

SPEED CHECK

USE LEFT LANE UNLESS OVERTAKING

DO NOT PASS

FOG LIGHTS OFF PLEASE

DIP YOUR LIGHTS

and about 20+ other messages.....

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend installed a Galls "Street Thunder II" siren in his truck. He primarly uses the electronic "air horn" sound and the PA mike but a few times, we activated the siren with the expected results.

Most people pull over thinking that there's an emergency vehicle approaching the intersection then get confused when they don't see an ambulance or a fire engine. It also worked for people who cut him off without signaling or a person talking on a cellphone.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You arent suppose to drive with your fog lights on? I see that quite often, some folks drive with them on alone. Many look like the aftermarket kits you see in walmart. Guessing its a fad or gang thing.

Safety1st, the new chevy montecarlo is pretty good at being cloaked, but when you see a silver one with black hood, who do they think they are fooling. Also, never a bad idea to watch your behavior when you see a caprice or crown vic either.

There was a bomb threat near an office building where i worked right around 911. Man, you saw honda civics, vw jettas and many other cars you would never suspect of being outfitted with strobes and other emergency lights on location. I think many of those cars were for the other alphabet agencys.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, US Secret Service vehicles I've seen include...
VW Jetta
Chevy Impallas (they LOVE this car)
Ford F150 pickups
Acuras (several types)
Volvo Cross Country (they also LOVE this car)
along with the usual vehicles that "announce" themselves like the crown vics and the big black expeditions.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if it was cell phone related, but I suspect it was--three days ago, I "almost saw" some body *smash* into a parked car! I was delivering flowers to a mortuary on a main street, and *BANG!, I hear this really loud crash. The Funeral directors (who were outside having a smoke) and I rushed over about 20 feet to see what it was, and sure enough, a lady in a car with 3 passangers had plowed right into a car parked next to the curb!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
They've pretty well shown that it's not holding the cell phone that distracts, it's dialing or talking on the cell that makes you less attentive. Hands Free makes no difference that I've seen reported.

I don't recall where I read that having an arguement while driving was as bad as driving drunk. Listening to talk radio can have a similar effect as you mentally debate the caller's statements. Holding a conversation can also split your attention with negative resullts. Don't get me started on kids in the back seat.

Strangely, it seems to tak e very little attention to drive in familiar areas if there are no unexpected events. Case in point: My wife was about to give birth to my youngest, about two weeks from his due date. I was working 16 hour shifts at a job 35 miles from my house. I was dead tired. I got the call that she was in the delivery room so I raced the 30 miles to the hospital. I was shocked when I woke up at a stop light a block from the hospital. The guy behind me was laying on his horn. I had no recollection of the last 15 miles of the trip. I know I was on auto pilot once the adreneline had worn off.

Back on subject.... The best way to handle cell phones is to simply answer, tell them you'll call back and pull off the road. Pull over if you are having an arguement. Listen only to classical music. Leave the kids at home with a babysitter. Don't give the sitter your cell phoen number.

:)

Daniel

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Safety1st said:
It's an LED message board.....that has various messages which rotate through each word...

off the top of my head.....there are;
---------------------------------------------

DON'T DRIVE AND USE MOBILE PHONE

is that the one you used! lmao