Got my VG3 body today!

zehnmm

Enlightened
I just received in the mail my VG3 body from Lighthound today. As others have posted, John at Lighthound is highly recommended.

Prior to receiving the new body, I have used an E2E with both the MN03 60 lumen incan and the KL1. I really like the KL1.

Now, I have put the KL1 on the VG3 and have the E2E with the stock MN03 --- two flashlights. Moreover, I can put the KL1 back on the E2E if I want.

My VG3 with KL1 works with Battery Station 3x123's and 2xAA's. I cannot detect differences in brightness with the KL1 on the VG3 with 3x123's and the KL1 on the E2E with 2x123's. I have not yet tried to generate run time stats. As for the 2xAA's, the brightness appears to be only slightly less than with the 123's. Until I do some testing, I do not know how long the AA's will last.

I also tried some over 4 year-old rechargeable AA's that I have used in an older digital camera. These are Powerex NiMH, 1500mAH at 1.2 volts each. I recharge these on a Maha charger. I will have to test for run time on these as well.

All in all, I am happy about all this. The only thing is that I wonder if my tailcap will last. Right now it is working fine. Since the VG3 apparently only accepts the VG tailcap, and not SF's, if something goes wrong, my only recourse would be via the VG route. Note that the VG tailcap is not a LOTC, like a SF. But, that is ok for me for now.

Very soon, I should receive my protected 17500's and charger that I ordered from AW. Hopefully 2x17500's in the VG3+KL1 will work ok. Plus, I have an SL TL-3 on order from Amazon that should take the 17500's as well, as others have posted elsewhere on this forum.

The bottom line is that for about $290, I will have 3 flashlights (E2E, VG3, TL-3) with rechargeable options on the VG3 and TL-3. Output on the three should be something like 30 lumens/6hrs.+, 60 lumens/1.25 hrs., and advertised 175 lumens/1 hr. on the three. Two lights in each of two cars, one on bedstand. Can easily EDC the E2E and the VG3.

Will post in the near future when I get my 17500's.

:)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I use protected 17500s in my TL-3 and the protected 17500s fit in the Vital Gear body, but they are quite tight... you'd have to remove the head and tailcap and push them out from one end. I'd imagine unprotected 17500s would fit much better though. That was my plan... to run the KL1 on the FB3 body on 2 unprotected 17500s.