Flickering QIII

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Is it normal when my QIII is cold (night in the car at -5C°) the luxeon flickers and if i hold it for +-30sec in my hand i just works fine?
Is it the battery (original 123A) who can not handle the amps as it is cold, or is it the circuitboard, or the luxeon itself?

I have almost the same problem with my TM301X5 : i have replaced the lux5 with a luxIII (with resistor so it runs on 2pcs 123A at +-900mA).Works very well and more trow as the QIII. Only; when temperature is -5C° and i swiths it on: the luxeon glows (like a 5mm led!), and after some time, or when i swiths a couple of times on/off, then suddenly i works fine???

Thanks Marc

vic303

Enlightened
We have a QIII and a tm301-x3 but it never really gets cold in Dallas...so I cannot say that we have your problem. Never seen it happen anyway. Sorry.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried loosening the tail cap a bit? Sometimes the extra pressure makes the circuit board lose contact or the tail spring lose contact.

secamp32

Newly Enlightened
MY QIII flcikers sometimes. If I turn it off, wack it, and turn it back on it seems to work ok.

Mattman

Enlightened
Check the positive contact on the circuit board. My QIII was working intermittently for a few weeks until I decided to do some investigation and found a tiny bit of crud (technical term) right where the battery contacts the board. I wiped it off with a tissue and everything's been good ever since. Trying a new battery couldn't hurt either.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe when it's cold there's a small gap that only touches on a limited basis, and as it warms up and the metal expands the gap disappears..

MrTodds

Newly Enlightened
My QIII had a problem with the switch. So try spraying the switch with contact cleaner. That fixed my intermittent problem.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
my NUWAI ALX-654C 5W luxeon always flickers for a few seconds when i first switch it on, no matter what type of battery i use inside.

I posted this problem on this cpf forum, but i got no reply.

regards.

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
The TM301X5 (mod with resistor and luxIII) : found the problem: the copper spacer (under the original circuitboard )was not tied enough, fastened the plastic ring under the reflector and the problem is solved. It was fastened but not tied enough, i think.

Did the same with the QIII, but this keeps on flickering???
Also tried another battery and swiths(from the working TM301X5(3).
No difference.

Thanks Marc

Skibane

Enlightened
Mine started doing the same thing, and occasionally would go dark until I shook it.

Turns out that the positive battery contact (the gold-colored spot in the center of the PC board) wasn't making good contact with the battery (possibly due to contamination or oxidation).

I used a rubber pencil eraser to gently rub the contact for a few seconds (an old trick for rejuvenating the contacts on telegraph keys), which cleaned it enough to completely eliminate the problem.