Pelican 2010 vs 2020 vs 2680 vs 3610

dingram17

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm looking for another LED torch (flashlite) that is very waterproof for use outside in storms. The Pelicans are a reasonable price and the three recoils in the subject appeal.

I understand that the 2010 is just a 2020 with a smaller head. The beam pattern is not as good, based on flashlightreview beamshots.

Has anyone here used the 2010 & 2020? Is the bulkier head on the 2020 worth it? My expectation is that a larger parabolic reflector would gather the light better.

I've also looked at the helmet/head mounted 2680 recoil lamp & right angle Little Ed 3610. Any practical experience of these? Does the hands-free nature of these work OK?

I welcome any comments on these lights before I commit more money to my LED obsession (2x L1, 1x M6 LED, 1x MityLite 3N, 1x Cateye HL510, 2x homemade luxeons).

Thanks,
David.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
dingram17 said:
Hi All,

I've also looked at the helmet/head mounted 2680 recoil lamp & right angle Little Ed 3610. Any practical experience of these? Does the hands-free nature of these work OK?

I welcome any comments on these lights before I commit more money to my LED obsession (2x L1, 1x M6 LED, 1x MityLite 3N, 1x Cateye HL510, 2x homemade luxeons).

Thanks,
David.

I have a 2680 headlamp I used for diving. It's currently in for replacement due to a faulty O-ring that caused flooding at a depth of about 33 feet.
I has a very narrow beam that is good in fog, smoke or murky water, but isn't as useful for normal use where you want to illuminate larger areas around you.
It is a bit big and front-heavy (when diving you won't notice this) so I'd say it is mostly good for underwater use.

It is decent as a handheld flashlight, but for a headlamp get a Priceton Tec Apex. It is waterproof (submersible to 3 feet), has full regulation, variable output, a much more useful beam pattern and it is a lot more comfortable to wear on your head.
There are a few thread on the Apex in the headlamp section, most users warmly recommend them.

Sverre

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican polymer lights do very well in water. They do have small beams, but VERY good throwing.

-David

dingram17

Newly Enlightened
NoFair said:
It is decent as a handheld flashlight, but for a headlamp get a Priceton Tec Apex. It is waterproof (submersible to 3 feet), has full regulation, variable output, a much more useful beam pattern and it is a lot more comfortable to wear on your head.
There are a few thread on the Apex in the headlamp section, most users warmly recommend them.

Thanks for the information on this lamp. It is a bit more expensive than the Pelican, but I like the look of the near-field lighting and the battery pack is on the back of the head.

Any experience using the Apex with a hard hat (construction or climbing)?

Thanks,
Dave.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen them on climbing helmets, and the straps can be extendend pretty far so I would assume it would work nicely with any helmet.

I think a Princeton Tec EOS is waterproof as well and it is smaller, very light and seems to be favored by many who want a smaller headlamp. This one doesn't have a rear battery-pack, but it's very small and light.

Sverre

dingram17

Newly Enlightened
NoFair said:
I've seen them on climbing helmets, and the straps can be extendend pretty far so I would assume it would work nicely with any helmet.

I think a Princeton Tec EOS is waterproof as well and it is smaller, very light and seems to be favored by many who want a smaller headlamp. This one doesn't have a rear battery-pack, but it's very small and light.

Sverre

Hi.

The Apex arrived in the post a couple of days ago. Fitting it to a hardhat is a little tricky as the lamp unit wants to slide off. A bit of anti-skid matting sorted that out, but I think that a rescue helmet will suit better as it has a bungee holder to secure the lamps.

The packaging says that the lamp is waterproof to one metre. First time that I've seen metric on US products :)

The whole thing looks good so far, and the 10 year warranty is pretty impressive. The only improvement I can think of is to have the battery pack mounted on a belt as an option. Cutting the main cable and putting waterproof connectors on would be one way of dealing with this by putting in an extension cable with mating connectors.

Dave.