Need advice on my next light

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
[font=&quot]I "need" a new light..... I was out earlier tonight; it was raining and very dark. I noticed that my E2e was not penetrating the darkness as well as I wanted. So I was wondering what light would be the best solution to my problem? My only requirements are that the light is under $80 and I would also like the light to be semi small. I don't want it to be the size of a 3D Mag or anything like that. I have been looking at the TL-3 and the 9P but I am not sure which one would be better or if there are other lights that would work better. Thanks in advance![/font]

CLHC

Flashaholic
The SureFire 9P is about the price you're looking to spend while the Streamlight TL-3 is more affordable and with more throw than the SF.9P. But if you're looking to "upgrade" the SF.9P down the road, you can do so with Turbo-Head. Albeit pricey but worth it. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

http://lagger-pro.com/hd3t.htm

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
I have a TL-3 and it is a true thrower. Its realtively small for a 3x123 light and easy enough to carry for a walk either in a big jacket pocket, holster or your hand. Don't have the SF 9P so can't comment. If you want smaller you might also consider a G2 with the P61 bulb - but that gets you a little more output but not more in throw.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
If you are looking at "cutting through the darkness" then you are probably looking at a light with a very bright look and narrow hotspot. Maybe the G2 or SL propolymer lux?

Delvance

Enlightened
I've got the G2 myself and use it plenty. Personally, i don't think i would choose it as a light to cut through the darkness. Don't get me wrong, it's a great light and throws a nice beam, but because of surefire's stippled coating on the LAs, it dramitically cuts down the throw ability of the light.

The Streamlight TL-3 (incan) is very nice, good throw and output, plus you can use two rechargeable li-ions in the light :)

a99raptors

Enlightened
I have that same problem with "needing" more light. :)

There are maybe two things you can do:
1. Get a Surefire 9P. Yes, it is more expensive, but I believe quality comes with a price.
2. Get a Surefire 6P or a G2, and upgrade to a G90 or a P90 bulb, with rechargeable batteries running it. That way, you get a good light, spare bulb, higher lumen output, and rechargeable batteries that save money in the long run.

I personally opted for the latter, though my shipment has not arrived yet. Don't get me wrong - I am not knocking Streamlight or anything, just voicing out my opinion. Let us know what you get and how it works out for you!

EDITED:

Forgot to mention that I had the pleasure of trying out the Inova T3 once. It also uses 2 CR123 batteries, and the construction is really rugged. In my opinion, that is a pure throw light. Very penetrating LED. And relatively cheap. But be warned - I had to give it up because I kept tripping over things especially when running around at night. The beam is really focused.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
a99raptors,

Haha, i also have ordered some rcr123's and a G90 bulb, and it also hasn't arrived yet lol. Yeah that would be a good option too! If the lights were to be run stock though, i would vote for the TL-3, but if a G90 or similar kit was installed in a G2 etc, hrmmm...don't know.

Oh skiersl9, if you decide to get a G2 and the p90/g90 LA, there is a thread that Lunarmodule started comparing the G90 and P90 LAs.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106334

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mt first 3/CR123 was a Surefire 9P. I thought it was pretty hot stuff.

I later purchased a Streamlight TL-3 Incandescent.

I sold the 9P, and bought another TL-3.

The TL-3 body is much more "grippy", and I think it has very attractive lines, and a great body.

Throws like a monster.

A turbohead on the 9P makes it ridiculously expensive without beating the TL-3. Also bigger.

WDR65

Enlightened
I had both a turbohead equipped C3 (SRTH) and a TL-3 for a while. The turbohead on the Surefire was nice but it was also fairly bulky for such a small light and it was awkward to carry. On the other hand the TL-3 is easy to carry and quite a bit more compact than most other 3 cell lights. Also the throw is not that much different to me, shining across a wide open field the TL-3 had a wider hotspot at distance with perhaps slightly less long range punch past 150-200 yards.

I am by no means trying to knock Surefire, I own several and they are my normal EDC lights, but if you need throw for fairly cheap than Streamlight seems to be the way to go.

On another note, the Streamlight Stinger which can be had for $60-65 with a dc charger throws as well if not better than the TL-3 and is rechargable, though a little larger.

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
I know there are beam shots on flashlightreviews.com but does anyone have any other beam shots of the TL-3 and the 9P?

Also where can I find the best deals on these lights?

Last edited: