What's the different between Surefire G2 and C2?

James2258

Newly Enlightened
I just dont get it, the price of C2 Centurion is like 3 times more G2 Nitrolon, what's the different between them, I see that they're both 65 Lumen and upgradeable just the same, Thanks.

a99raptors

Enlightened
You pay more for the aluminium body, and the BEST kind of aluminium there is. The strength is second only to diamond (the toughest thing known to man).

The lens is also stronger - pyrex.

The rubber grip is also provides an additional way of holding the flashlight.

Is it worth it? YES. It's a Surefire....... :)
(Sorry, SF supporter here.)

BUT, if you want a light that is rugged, no fear about dings and scratches, just want a simple, reliable bright light, then get the G2. Make sure you get one with the Lock-Out-Tail-Cap though. The Nitrolon polymer is just plain tough, lightweight, cheap, and durable.

Last edited:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
well one is molded from plastic (ok, 'polymer' - advertising speak for plastic) and the other is machined from aluminium. One has a plastic lens the other has a glass lens.

Production costs, both in the process and the materials. Plus I guess people will pay more for a light thats made from 'aerospace-grade aluminum'.

BBL

Enlightened
a99raptors said:
You pay more for the aluminium body, and the BEST kind of aluminium there is. The strength is second only to diamond (the toughest thing known to man).
sorry, that sounds like bullshit.
I could right away name a few materials that are stronger than aluminum. I'm afraid you have a wrong idea of aluminum. Aluminum is generally used for flashlights because it is light and soft - easier to machine.

a99raptors

Enlightened
BBL said:
sorry, that sounds like bullshit.
I could right away name a few materials that are stronger than aluminum. I'm afraid you have a wrong idea of aluminum. Aluminum is generally used for flashlights because it is light and soft - easier to machine.

Hard Anodised Aluminium type III is the 2nd hardest substance known to man. It is the kind that most Surefires are constructed of.

Please refer to page 4 of the Surefire Tactical Catalog 2005. You might need to read closer...

atm

Enlightened
It's not the aluminium itself that is that tough, it's the very thin (but incredibly strong) HA3 coating applied to the surfaces of the aluminium after the parts are made.

Andrew

Safety1st

Enlightened
I use the C2 on my LEO duty belt...and it's a superb piece of kit...

It's sooooo hard and tough...and despite wanting to wrap it in cotton wool..(as they aren't exactly cheap, are they?)...I don't need to..as it's so strong....

You can really use the flashlight and not have any worries..

A colleague has the G2 and although the beam is about the same...it's far inferior when it comes to body quality..

welcome to CPF..:rock:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
James2258-

First, Welcome To CPF!

I'll try to answer your basic question. The performance of the G2 and C2 will be identical. They use the same basic lamp assembly and batteries.

The C2 is far more expensive because it is machined aluminum, has a glass lens, a lanyard ring, a pocket clip, and a specially shaped grip.

All that said, the G2, IMO, is one of the best bargains in flashlights-a SF for under $35. Also, for some people and in some uses, the plastic body is an advantage. If it suits your budget and use, you will be very happy with a G2.

Mark

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
a99raptors said:
Hard Anodised Aluminium type III is the 2nd hardest substance known to man. It is the kind that most Surefires are constructed of.

Please refer to page 4 of the Surefire Tactical Catalog 2005. You might need to read closer...
I have a good understanding of how high-end flashlights are made - I dont need any explanation regarding HA (and if that was the case I would NOT use the surefire catalog).

1. no flashlight is made of anodizing. period.

2. iirc HA3 has a rockwell grade of 67 - which is harder than steel. still, a flashlight made of steel is stronger than one made of Al/HA. The few thousands inch HA on the surface dont make much difference.

cbxer55

Enlightened
Many of the Surefire's with the 2 in the name are the same performance wise. C2, E2, G2, M2 all are really close in performance, the E2 winning in the size category, M2 being the largest with its shock absorbing bezel. Even the U2 has one of its settings which will be close to the others. The 6P performs like the first 4 mentioned. I have all but the G2 and like them all for one reason or another. The U2 is always on my person!!

Last edited:

Latest posts