Have u a light that's 2 expensive to EDC?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Seeing all these threads about lights that people EDC I was wondering if you own any lights that collect dust because you are frightend of loosing or damaging them?

I own several high end SF's and a Gladius but generally find myself using cheaper lights simply to avoid loss or damage. I know it is stupid to buy an expensive light for all its features and then not use it as intended but as some of these lights cost an arm and a leg I figure I dont want to risk loss or damage if I can loose something a bit cheaper!

The only rational explanation is that I am a flashaholic and I've got the addiction bad?

Doug

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple of lights that in my humble opinion belong in a display cabinet. And are too nice to use

1. #5 / 10 XX0T (yea you read correct XX0T) TnC Lithium Lux-V this is the lamborgini of flashlights in my opinion, down right beautiful black torch that is just a tad bit bigger than the AA lithium battery that charges it.

2. SuperFlashlight I Proto #13 with black and orange splash coating and an X4T 5w led just to add icing to the cake.

I've also got a Mcgizmo L1 PR-T DB917 which should be too rare to use but it's also got one of the best throwing beams I've ever seen come out of a flashlight, It still sits but as soon as I get my sheath made it's gonna be on my side.

If I didn't have the Superflashlight or the Lithium Lux-V I would have said if you've got a flashlight you've gotta use it, but I can't

Doug

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are the sort that loses things frequently, I wouldn't carry the expensive ones. My track record has been pretty good so far with lights, so I don't mind putting $200-$300 worth of engineering in my pocket everyday. :)

dougmccoy

Enlightened
A classic example was last night. I was doing a late job (paramedic) and gave my LED G&P G2 to a patient's wife to hold so I could see his injuries. I somehow forgot where I eventually put the light. Fortunately she was honest and it was on a seat when I found it. However, sometimes in the rush to get things sorted, lights get put down, mislaid etc. It's one thing loosing a $70 light it's another loosing a $300 one!

Doug

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
If you are the sort that loses things frequently, I wouldn't carry the expensive ones. My track record has been pretty good so far with lights, so I don't mind putting $200-$300 worth of engineering in my pocket everyday. :)

Oh I agree with you leukos, I've only lost one (or so) lights and it was a 50.00 light but a great light. I have no problem strapping a BA PD to my side in my elephant hide "Holester". or a keylight that's over 150.00 but the other two are irreplaceable.

enjoy
Doug

cy

Flashaholic
NO.. ultimate compliment to maker is to EDC it!

Steve C

Enlightened
diggdug13 said:
It still sits but as soon as I get my sheath made it's gonna be on my side.
Doug

I've got an Aleph 1 that I'd like to carry for retirement. I am looking for a suitable belt sheath. I've been in contact with a fellow who will make a custom leather sheath, but I want to get some more ideas before I commit.

I do not want thick leather or kydex. Thin leather won't hold up. The best idea I saw was a medium-thickness nylon tube with a belt loop that came with an inexpensive Coast Lenser light. But I have been unable to find one to physically look at & handle.

What do you plan to do for a sheath?

a99raptors

Enlightened
It's kinda like getting a new car. You baby it until it inevitably gets its first scratch. Same thing happened to me with my expensive Surefires. Banged them up (accidentally of course), and only then I used them more often.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I hadnt thought about one of a kind or very rare prototypes. I think I would be unlikely to carry those. But as far as production lights, I wouldnt have bought it if I wouldnt carry it.

Last edited:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve C said:
Thanks. That's "thick" leather... ;)

Steve,

call him he can make it anyway you want it, he's really good at leather and makes it "burgerking style"

doug

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
diggdug13 said:
Ron Ryder makes some of the best sheaths ever.

http://www.cuttersandcollectors.com/leatherfour.html

the one I'm getting is on the bottom however I'll need two snaps because I plan on having a beam defuser on the light as well.

doug

WOW! Those sheaths are gorgeous! Now you got me thinking about getting one for my E2e. I'd get one with no lid though, since the pocket clip would hold it in place. I'd want the beltloop to extend above the top of the light so the whole thing would ride lower on the hip. Probably make it more expensive though.

carrot

Flashaholic
My solution... if I think it's too expensive to EDC, I probably don't own it... yet. (Wallet cries in the background.)

cbxer55

Enlightened
I never leave the house without my U2, either clipped to left front pocket, or in open top sheath on left hip. I also keep a Surefire flip-open cap on the U2. The body of the flip-open cap is rubber and just slides right on the U2, but requires a black zip-tie if you really want it to stay on the light. Sure its a $270.00 light, but I have not found a light I like better, YET??

Last edited:

hquan

Enlightened
the most expensive light I have is a tigerlight - and I take it to the dog park everyday. It's been dropped (thankfully, only in mud) multiple times, banged against trees and benches, run over by dogs, etc. But then that's one of the reasons why I spent the $$ to get a tough light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few expensive lights, I have taken them with me on a few occasions,
I don't EDC them as they are too Large and heavy to carry all of the time

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q) Have u a light that's 2 expensive to EDC?

A) No. My most expensive light is an Arc AAA-P and I wear it daily on a neck lanyard.