I'm addicted to CPF!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Seeing how Doug of FR has become worn down by contributing so much to CPF and his review site I reflected on how my flashlight hobby has affected me personally. Well, like most folks here I genuinely get a buzz out of owning and learning about the latest, newest thing on the flashlight block. In turn I've learnt about some of the engineering and manufacturing that goes into some of my favourite flashlights.

I've also learnt that this worldwide community which participates in CPF is IMO unique for the well behaved and cordial way in which foks of very diverse backgrounds get along. On occasions some folks do try to bait others and sometimes passions do run a bit high by I never see the discourse that occurs in some other hobbies take place here.

I know that whenever there has been a CPF outage I eagerly await its return and find myself needing a 'CPF' fix! Of course in the great scheme of things I could exist without CPF but wouldn't want to leave as I enjoy it here so much

I'm actually proud of my addiction to flashlights. It is a very niche hobby and that makes it special in itself! Further, my hobby does actually provide positive uses not only to me but also to others. I'm sure that some LEO's and military members of CPF will have bought lights that if they haven't already, may one day save their life. That in itself is worth having this hobby for, don't you think?

I'm grateful for all the people who make CPF possible. I'm indebted to Sasha for all the unpaid work she does behind the scenes and who solicites so little reward.

CPF is great, I'm addicted to it and proud of my membership!

Doug

atm

Enlightened
Even as someone new to CPF, I can really appreciate what you mean Doug. As far as online communities go there really does seem to be less tension and ego-clashing nonsense here. It's an enjoyable place to "hang out" and share a common interest.

There seems to be a great deal of trust and respect amongst the membership on the whole, a remarkable achievement these days, especially online.

As far as the "flashlight hobby" goes, it surprises me that so many people are mystefied by our interest. So many everyday hobbies that go unnoticed revolve around things that have no technical, engineering, scientific or practical qualities yet flashlight have all these in abundance.

I guess it's just that it's something a bit different. Nothing wrong with that I say!

I'd like to offer my thanks to all who make CPF what it is also!

Andrew

Delvance

Enlightened
Definitely agree with you dougmccoy. This is the first forum i've actually actively participated in. I used to lurk many forums relating to my interests, and this is definitely one of the best forums i've found. I actually learnt of CPF a few years ago, but i wasn't a true flashaholic then :sssh: (when i was a kid, i loved lights...had 13 cheapie lights lined up in a shelf). Last year sometime, i decided my keychain needed an edc and promptly went out and bought an Inova X1...causing me to "see the light" :grin2: .

I've received alot of help here at CPF, and would also like to thank CPF as a whole, one of the greatest online communities i know!

a99raptors

Enlightened
Like the man said :)
First page I load up everytime I go online. Love the advice that everyone gives, and I guess the best thing I can do is share some useful things too!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Indeed it's an honor and a privilege to be associated with yourself and the other members who appreciate the hobby, the CPF, and it's members.

It's certainly a task and sometimes embarrassing to have to play "Parent/Child" in moderating those who would like to step too close to the "edge or cross the lines"...honesty, maturity, integrity, respect, knowledge, and the ability to "get along" are are all very valued qualities that help the CPF to succeed.

Thanks for posting this thread Doug and for being part of the "family"! :thumbsup:

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m proud to re-echo all of the above sentiments.

Long live the CPF...and all of the kind souls who create our great community!

:thumbsup:

bexteck

Enlightened
Sigman said:
It's certainly a task and sometimes embarrassing to have to play "Parent/Child" in moderating those who would like to step too close to the "edge or cross the lines"...honesty, maturity, integrity, respect, knowledge, and the ability to "get along" are are all very valued qualities that help the CPF to succeed.

Sigman, its you and the other mods/admins who keep this forum clean and free from junk. Keep up the good work.