Runtime or brightness

Which would you choose for your one and only EDC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dogliness

Enlightened
[font=&quot]If you could own only one EDC with one level, you had only the two choices described in this poll, and both flashlights cost the same amount, which would you choose?[/font]

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime. I'm more likey to want light that last 3-8 hours, than light enough to blind someone, when I'm out and about.

Macaw

Enlightened
I EDC my CPF Spec. with an extra LiIon and primary. So, I guess I have both!:nana:

After a bit of thought, I'd rather go with the longer runtime. I did vote for brightness though.

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly what 2 lights are we talking about here? If I had to guess, Peak Rainier vs Surefire L1?

I'd go with the 60 lumen/40 minute light unless you're planning on taking long walks at night or something with it. 40 minutes seems like a short time, but if you only use it for a few seconds at a time, 40 minutes goes a long way.

However, with so many multi-level lights these days, where you can get both long runtimes and brightness, I see no need to comprimise. Like a Jil Intelli, HDS EDC, or McLux PD.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Exactly what 2 lights are we talking about here? If I had to guess, Peak Rainier vs Surefire L1?.
RCR123 or CR123 rang a bell in my head. Ding ding. I took a closer look at Dogliness sigline. I think the question is what battery to pop in the Peak CPF special?

-----

I do not use my EDCs much. I carry them in case I am away from home during a citywide blackout. With buses running an hour apart at night on many routes, I feel more comfortable with 120 minutes. My TM-310H (and my Dorcy AAA before that) will last 2 hours with reasonably fresh batteries.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Since I have "tired" eyes, I go for brightness. Reasonable enough for me since I carry spares.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Hey, this is CPF. . . Brightness rules!

We're fixated and a bit crazy, don't 'cha know.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
60 lumens (Heat Sink'ed T-Binned Lux III) and (about 50) minutes runtime (on a rechargeable RCR123) in QIII is my EDC that I actually use.. but not solely reliant on this and i have Peak 7 LED High Power Snow (25 - 30 Lumens, 2 Hrs backup) as a backup (which is highly reliable light.. by the way)

Last edited:

Dogliness

Enlightened
Flashlights that would be comparable to the flashlights posed in the poll would be, for the brighter flashlight with less runtime, the Peak CPF using a rechargeable battery; and the for the flashlight with less brightness and more runtime, the Fenix LP1 (except it uses an AA battery and according to Quckbeam's review gets 67 minutes runtime on an alkaline cell) or the Peak Glacier Bay (if it was a bit brighter). I do not think the Peak CPF on a primary cell would be comparable becasue the light output and runtime are significantly less.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It would depend on just what you EDC for! I EDC in case of a power outage...would rather have a lot of run time rather that a lot of brightness.

wwglen

Enlightened
IF I had a concield carry permit and carried a pistol I would go for the 60 lumins. Since I don't and have more need for a general use light I would go with the runtime.

Actually that is basically what I did and got rid of my Q-III & r123 and carry a Fenix L1P.

wwglen

Artful

Newly Enlightened
Dogliness said:
[font=&quot]If you could own only one EDC with one level, you had only the two choices described in this poll, and both flashlights cost the same amount, which would you choose?[/font]

I had to go brightness over time for first choice (surefire Z) then look for something with lower level more run time for second carry choice (Minimag w/ Led mod). Then I'd look for something with dual use TT TL2 like I care now.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an easy one for me!
You put "only one EDC" in there with the runtime slotted at two hours. I won't carry a flashlight that I call "EDC" (keychain EDC, work EDC or camping EDC) without at least 2 hours of runtime. The shortest running light I will have is a MillerMods L1P which runs 75 minutes on a NiMH battery. With the two-stage 5 ohm switch...it can run for hours if need be.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
This is an easy one for me!
You put "only one EDC" in there with the runtime slotted at two hours. I won't carry a flashlight that I call "EDC" (keychain EDC, work EDC or camping EDC) without at least 2 hours of runtime.

I agree. A 60 lumen light is way too bright for me to use for anything close up - my arms aren't long enough to hold it back where it won't make my eyes ache! And for me, the whole idea of an EDC light is (1) lots of brief spells using it to find something in a dark corner, (2) not having to remember to check whether the batteries are getting run down every week, then (3) unexpectedly really *needing* the light for an hour or more in a semi-emergency. Gotta have runtime.

Now a really ideal EDC would be small but give you several levels so you can have it all. Am eagerly awaiting delivery of the HDS EDC - geez, I can't believe I spent that much on a flashlight!

laserbokkie

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is a G2 with P60 lamp assembly in a cordura holster.
I attached 2 CR123s to the holster with insulation tape.
I prefer using the stronger webbed type of tape, didn't have it handy the last time tho.

Should the batteries weaken, i got the new ones ready within a minute.
Just the G2 switch is the fumbly thing screwing it back on.

g2holster.jpg

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
:laughing: I chose based on the use of rechargeables on the first option. That's the reason I don't use bright lights that much - they suck batteries dry too fast! I've realized, though, that if I use rechargeables, then I don't mind the brightest light I can get my hands on.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, there's plenty of ways to have both brightness and runtime, but of the two choices you've given, I'd take the 25 lumens for 2 hours if I were limited to those two options.

IonFire

Enlightened
I went with the High brightness over run time, due to the rechargeables.

If it did not have them then the longer runtime.

I used to care about perserving batteries and rations and such, but since getting the rechargeables, so now i look for more uses for the lights and ultimately, enjoy them alot more.

IF

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightness, you can carry extra batteries, but you can't make it brighter !!

carrot

Flashaholic
I have to abstain. I can't make choices like that, so I usually EDC three lights, each a distinct tradeoff of runtime and brightness and usually a spare set of batteries. Currently--
Surefire G2
Fenix L1P
Gerber Infinity Ultra