What's the best flashlight I can get for 80-200 dollars?

carrot

Flashaholic
"Best" is very subjective. What're you looking for in a flashlight?

I'd consider the Surefire A2 one of the "best" flashlights... but I might be biased, because I'm getting mine very soon.

Other great flashlights... HDS EDC Ultimate, Surefire L2, Inova T4... too many more to list.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
LoganT said:
Topic in title.

What are your needs for the light? I personally use a McLux III PD as my EDC it's a clear winner. But I always seem to come back to my KL4 head on my E2e body with McGizmo two stage switch (L4 in a round about way.). the McLux III PD is a med range single 123 battery, and the KL4 is a wall of light flood light.

Then you've got the Pelican 2390 3w LED that has a much longer range (throw) for around 100.00 it's takes two CR123's and lasts about 2 hours.

but you cant over look the TL3 much cheaper and good throw.

the list can go on for ever and ever.

please list what you will need it for and we can narrow the list a bit and maybe even make it a cheaper purchase for ya (so you can get more than one.. :naughty: )

Doug

LoganT

Newly Enlightened
You see, the thing is, I don't really know what I want. I have no general purpose for a flashlight. I just really want one. Something really bright is what I'm lookking for.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
With the price range you are going to be able to spend, you can have almost anything.
So ... you can choose what you want your light to be and buy something that fits your criteria AND has a high quality.
Life is good :)
bernie

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you might enjoy something with lots of features. Check out the Gladius or the soon to be released LRI Proton.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If going SF ... the A2 and L2 will be within your price range and are 2-stage wiz-bangs.
For a little more ... you can get the U2, too.

carrot

Flashaholic
Kiessling said:
If going SF ... the A2 and L2 will be within your price range and are 2-stage wiz-bangs.
For a little more ... you can get the U2, too.
I second that. (But I mentioned those two before, and I try not to repeat myself.)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id go with the Aleph series lights... kinda pricy though, or go with thet PM6 3W, or HDS lights.

-David

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is wow bright and wow throw you want,you cannot go wrong with a
Aleph1 or 3.

Or you can just buy them all and decide for your self ;)

Bang for the buck,i would go for a Pentagon L2 or a Pelican M6.
I saw a Pentagon L2 for sale here today for around 50 bucks shipped.

Might want to check it out.
Benny

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF member TranquillityBase has just begun selling a $60 2x168A body that can use a Surefire E-series tailcap and a Surefire C-series head (after adding a $15 E-to-C head adapter).

In this way, you can enjoy the legendary brightness of Surefire's P91 9V lamp AND a 45-50-minute runtime, using a pair of Pila 600A or Microfire/Pila/Wolf Eyes 168A cells.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McLuxIII PD is $205.00 A very good value, for one of the best flashlights made in the world.

If you can find one a MrBulk Lion Cub for about $150.00 (used)
The Chameleon may fulfill your needs well for around $200.00 (lighthound.com)

Personally I carry a Black McLuxIII PD EDC around my neck and a lioncub in my pocket. Both are great.
Yaesumofo

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the 6p and 9p are very good flashlights, if you had up to $200 to spend, you might want lights with multiple functions and/or multiple brightness.

If you don't want to deal with changing bulbs or risking filaments burning out, you might want to look at LED based lights. Although there might be rare instances of problems, theoretically LEDs last many thousands of hours and are shockproof (shock, not shatter! :D)

As others have said, it is hard to define 'best'. I would assume best for your needs, and we have no idea what that is when all the info you have provided is "Topic in title" :laughing:

Do you want to carry it everyday? Must it be small enough to hang on your keychain? Or just pocketable? Or do you mind pouching it on a belt? Is it for indoor use? Does it need to throw far to spot things in the distance? Multiple brightness levels? Waterproof? Clicky switch (at tailcap or side?) or twisty (head or tail?)? How much runtime do you need? Is it going to get knocked around? etc etc etc...

Welcome to CPF!! :laughing:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Well it is hard to beat the A2 or the HDS series. The A2 has the great feature of a reasonable power led set with long life and a very good incan that you can use if you need it. Plus the incan is regulated which is fantastic. The HDS or Lion Cub are much smaller which is an advantage. Another advantage of the HDS and Lion Cub is that they can take rechargeable batteries. Both the HDS and Lion Cub are LED lights with many levels of brightness.

I have all three and like all three. The CPF answer would be to get all three. But if I really, really had to pick one, it would be the A2. The regulated incan being there if I need it is the cincher for me.

CLHC

Flashaholic
LoganT said:
I have no general purpose for a flashlight. . .Something really bright is what I'm lookking for.

LoganT said:
I'm considering getting the SureFire 6P or the SureFire9P.

Lots of great choices as suggested by fellow CPF members here. Maybe you may want to try checking the following link out too.

http://lagger-pro.com/hd3t.htm

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

carrot

Flashaholic
When I saw an ad for the Surefire A2 in the back of a magazine... well, that's what got me hooked. You can get it (and other lights) from OpticsHQ for about $150 with the CPF discount.

Last edited: