River Rock 2AAA at Target stores

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Target checking out their sale and thought the 2AAA River Rock was cute so I bought one. The price is $10, it comes with 2 batteries, a pocket clip but no lanyard or sheath. It is a nice size- the bezel is about .7" diameter, the body is about .57" diameter, the length is 4.7".

The reflector focuses the beam to a good spot. The beam is a bit blue or violet. It has good throw for a small light, and what I consider pretty good brightness for a small light. Nobody will consider it to be impressively bright, but it is adequate for dark areas. It was roughly equal to my MM with MJLED. The package says it is regulated for constant brightness, and they claim 7 hours on a set of batteries.

InfidelCastro

Banned
It's not really regulated as far as I can tell, even though the package claims it is. The light is very blue. It seems that it's a crapshoot as some have better throw than others, I've tried 4 different ones, 2 were more throwers while the beams of the other two were more floody.

I think the construction is pretty decent. I would prefer a little something to hang onto, maybe if there were some rings machined into the body because it is a little bit slippery, but the pocketclip aids in gripping it. The pushbutton on the tailcap of mine split down the middle, but it still works fine. I really do not like blue colored beams, but I really like this light for the money. I like mine!! The batteries it comes with were bright for the first hour or so of runtime and then dimmed considerably. I think this light is possibly brighter than an older 3AA four 5mm LED flashlight that I have.

TBY

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it's a lottery when you buy these. Luckily Target has a pretty good return/exchange policy. I must admit I've used it more than once!

InfidelCastro

Banned
It's not quite a 1W luxeon. But the .5W LED it has puts out enough light so that you can see well in really dark places. The one time it really impressed me was when I had to walk through a dark alleyway between two apartment buildings and it lit up my walking path pretty well.

Walt175

Enlightened
I also bought one at Target, and like it. I just wish it wasn't so blue.

Has anyone tried replacing the LED? I've been wondering how hard it would be to put a SMJLED in it.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I own a silver and a black RR 2AAA. I took them with me on a backpacking trip into the Grand Canyon. They worked great for lighting up my campsite while I setup my tent and cooked meals.

I used them 4 nights in a row for about 2 hours each night, never had to change batteries in either one. Was using Ray-o-Vac Alkalines. They were getting a bit dim on the 4th night, but still put out usable light. Since there was no moon out during my trip, almost any light seemed like alot down there.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Walt175 said:
I also bought one at Target, and like it. I just wish it wasn't so blue.

Has anyone tried replacing the LED? I've been wondering how hard it would be to put a SMJLED in it.

I have replaced the original LED with the MJLED on a couple of these - brightness was roughly the same but beam quality and tint was definitely an improvement. Draws about the same current from the batts as the stock LED.

Takes a bit of effort to unscrew the bezel due to thread compound. I used a rubber strap wrench around the bezel and several layers of bicycle inner tube wrapped around the body for leverage/grip. YMMV...

John

secamp32

Newly Enlightened
I have a nuwai 2AAA and a 1 AAA. I think they are the same as the RR AAA lights. The 1 AAA is brighter than the 2 AAA light. I guess I'll get longer run time from the 2 AAA. Not a bad light for $10 but when I go out at night it generally gets passed over for either the 1AAA or a Innova Radiant 2 AAA (also from Target).

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a comparison reviw thread - with lots of side-by-side comparison beamshots -

River Rock 0.5w 2AAA (link)

Personally I like the 1AAA version - almost the same brightness running on only 1 single AAA - much smaller and (obviously) more pocket friendly -

Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H) (link to comparison review)

Nuwai05w1AAAsize.jpg

Nuwai05w1AAA_RR2AAA.jpg
Nuwai05w1AAA_RR2AAA2U.jpg

Almost as bright as the River Rock 0.5w 2AAA - almost no practical difference for me (YMMV)

Walt175

Enlightened
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear! Methinks it's time to order a few extra SMJLEDs... :thanks:
p.s. Anybody know where I can get uncut SMJLEDs?

Illuminated said:
I have replaced the original LED with the MJLED on a couple of these - brightness was roughly the same but beam quality and tint was definitely an improvement. Draws about the same current from the batts as the stock LED.

Takes a bit of effort to unscrew the bezel due to thread compound. I used a rubber strap wrench around the bezel and several layers of bicycle inner tube wrapped around the body for leverage/grip. YMMV...

John

Last edited:

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
Walt175 said:

I put a 1 watt Luxeon QYOH in my RR 2AA. The brightness was about the same as the stock LED but with better tint of course, no more blue. Then I went a bit futher and drilled it out to take 3 "N" sized batteries. Now it has about the same output as my Fenix L1P. It doesn't have the same spot or throw of the L1P, its more of a flood but does have decent throw.

I heated the head with a hair dryer for a minute before using rubber protected pliers to unscrew it.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I picked one up from Target last weekend. For $9.99 I am happy with it. I needed a flashlight to keep in my desk at work. I do not like loaning out my EDC at work. I am too attached to my Fenix L1P and Inova T3 to loan them out.