Streamlight TL-3 Red Flip Lense?

Jett

Newly Enlightened
Hello Forum Members. I see that Streamlight offers colored Flip Lenses for the Streamlight/TL-3 series of lights? I have a TL-3 LED & am interested to find out if any members have used the colored flip lenses for this light and how well do they work? In theory, I'd like to have a red flip lense so I can use the red navigating around at night with the option of opening up the cap & getting the white light if additional illumination is needed. Thanks in advance for your feedback & info.

Steve C

Enlightened
While I cannot comment on the specific equipment you mentioned, I can tell you that the CONCEPT is outstanding. I have such a flip-up red filter on my venerable 6P. That light's last "duty assignment" saw it riding in a SWAT vest for many years. I used the red filter on numerous occasions, including one where I needed white light unexpectedly and instantaneously. It now rests in my "assorted junk" box on my desk, with that filter still attached. I do practically no night work these days, but if I do I'll bring it along.

In short, its a great idea if you do a lot of night/dim light work. It does increase the basic light's bulk a bit (quite a bit, in my case), but no free lunch, and all of that... ;)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know exactly what Streamlight offers, but a company called Butler Creek offers flip up covers for rifle scopes and there is a large range of size of them... I'd be willing there's one to fit just about any reasonable flashlight out there. They are usually clear, but I think it would be easy enough to either add in a red lens or (better) replace the clear lens with something red.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
I have filters for both my TL2 & TL3 in green and red. I tend to find that even filtered, the TL3 is way too bright to use for night vision work - the light is still too intense and will wash out your darkness adaptation if you make any mistakes (reflection bounce back, crossing someone's visual field...) I mainly use filters for signaling these days and use a small LED light for running around when I still want to retain my night vision.

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have the green on my Ar-15 mounted tl-3. It really drops the lumens. I would probably prefer the red.

Jett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for their input. The TL-3 has an intense beam & I agree about "accidently" catching a reflection & wiping out your night vision. It's pretty easy to do w/ a ceiling, wall or floor shot. I will probably go ahead & pick up a red flip lense for my TL-3 & see how I like it? I don't have any colored lenses any lights & this would be a good experiment and a cool gadget as well. I have seen then online for $9-$12 so it's worth a try. There's also a gun show here in Austin the 3rd weekend of every month so I'll roam the booths & see if I can locate one for a good price. Thanks again...