I see that maglite has pushed back there LED lights introduction....

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a January launch to "early 2006". I guess the more pesimistic of us can start to call it "vaporware" like many did on HDS, U2 etc.

I am sure they will be out soon, but thought it kinda funny to think back to how many of us dive on a light that is in proto state or when the release date is punched forward. I just want a solitaire that is 10$ and at least as bright as a old ARC AAA, make good gift's.

anyone know more? VDG

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always been "early 2006" on the Maglite site. The January stuff is probably one of those fabrications or illusions that seem to formulate on discussion forum threads as they evolve.

voodoogreg said:
From a January launch to "early 2006". I guess the more pesimistic of us can start to call it "vaporware" like many did on HDS, U2 etc.

I am sure they will be out soon, but thought it kinda funny to think back to how many of us dive on a light that is in proto state or when the release date is punched forward. I just want a solitaire that is 10$ and at least as bright as a old ARC AAA, make good gift's.

anyone know more? VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aye, you are correct. I looked on the first thread about them and someone
as you said heard late jan.

Hanging around here i got some good learn'in on FL's so owning surefire/HDS/ARC and having only a stupid simple modded mag (the KPR112 W/3x123's in a 2D host thingie) and my mighty magcharger I don't really
have an interest in Mag, just curious to what will come.

I still would dig a bright soli for cheap, even if it's monkey a$$ed
DD with a resistor, good gift's and spares for first aid kits, cars guitar cases
so on. As long as there 10$ or under at wally world :) VDG

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking that this might be 1981 again and MAG = IBM. There were lots of homebuilts and lessor named brands prior to IBM coming out with the "PC". Better machines came along fairly quickly but the lions share went to IBM for a long time.
(Trying to sell an AT&T 6300 with a faster 16 bit chip,VGA quality video and a lower price against an IBM was hard, even if it did run flight simulator.)

If Mag comes out with K2's in their product it will be interesting indeed. I wonder if they will have a cassette port? (That's for us old guys.)

danielo_d

Enlightened
Mike Painter said:

If Mag comes out with K2's in their product it will be interesting indeed. I wonder if they will have a cassette port? (That's for us old guys.)

No. Just punch cards. Don't drop the stack!!!!

:awman:

Danno

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Been wondering that myself for a while ...... the fact that Mag hasn't entered the market is probably the main reason why we all have so many differant and exciting bright things to talk about ..... otherwise there may well have been just 25 differant LED torch models anywhere, with Mag making 20 of them ...... BORING !!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I heard that March is when the different colored NightIze modules are supposed to come out, so maybe Maglite is timing the release with that?

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
I think I heard they were trying to patent the idea of a LED conversion in a MAG, but the market is already flooded and too much prior art exists for LED conversions.

Look up their pattent filling from October, I heard Claims 1 through 75 were withdrawn.

Navck

Enlightened
Mike Painter said:
I've been thinking that this might be 1981 again and MAG = IBM. There were lots of homebuilts and lessor named brands prior to IBM coming out with the "PC". Better machines came along fairly quickly but the lions share went to IBM for a long time.
(Trying to sell an AT&T 6300 with a faster 16 bit chip,VGA quality video and a lower price against an IBM was hard, even if it did run flight simulator.)

Nah, Mag is more like Microsoft or Dell.
They don't innovate, they take existing ideas and make them cheap and low in quality (Dell)
That and they sue for "copy infringement" (Moneysoft.)
IBM actually "innovated" (Harddrive, that microscope you can see atoms with... Etc)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
IBM's worst move was not paying an extra few$$ (corporately speaking :naughty: ) for exclusive right's to MS's OS. It is generally accepted
this was the start of the Microsoft empire. Gates literally went from his garage
to richest man in the world, allowing him to innovate, and borrow and steal
without much impunity. This not a bash MS/Gates post just the truth, many great corps do the same. Referance the series "Triumph of the Nerds". VDG

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if that were true, it could still be months before the first products are available in the retail channel, and in some cases it could be more than a year out before the products appear in some of the major chain stores.

turbodog said:
Mag's exact words to me are "we will launch at SHOT".

carrot

Flashaholic
PoliceScannerMan said:
I bet the new Mag Led lights will have "Grape jelly" Tint. Like River Rock but worse!
Mmm, grape jelly. I eagerly await the MagLED line... mostly out of curiousity.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
They don't innovate, they take existing ideas and make them cheap and low in quality (Dell)
IBM actually "innovated" (Harddrive, that microscope you can see atoms with... Etc)

In general IBM is innovative, however their idea of a PC was a joke at the time it was introduced. It used the 8088 which saved them a few bucks over the 8086, still had a cassette port, and in general was boring.
The only good thing about it was DOS 1.0 which was a bit better than CP/M.
The effect of the machine was good because it became a standard replacing in a short time hundreds of different floppy formats and dozens of ways to write to the screen.
Even that was mostly the result of Visi-calc and them Lotus123.

I've reccomended and used Dell for over ten years and have seen very few problems with them. The last support email I sent them was followed up immediately by phone and email.

If you know the history of IBM, you know that they sue far more often then MSFT - and both win most of the time.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:

Don't take this personally, but I can't stand it when people make stupid statements like that. Mag _was_ an innovator. Every single product they've introduced was a big deal when it came out. The catch is that the last new one was during the Regan administration. But back then they were cutting-edge. Mag's D/C cell switch is still a great design if you look at it.

And what makes you think they're low quality? The machining and molding standards are above average for most flashlights outside of the Surefire range.

Many of Mag's biggest lawsuits have been justified. Streamlight copied their lettering and were sued. Brinkmann ripped off the entire Mini-Mag and was sued. The Arc thing was questionable, but it looked a lot like a Solitaire. The bad lawsuits are the ones no one hears about. Mostly outside the country, usually involving lights that look absolutely nothing like Mags.

Last edited: