Bowling?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used to bowl many years ago and I enjoyed it. I was pretty bad though; I think my all-time high score was around 135.

Good luck with your league nights!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since my wife hurt her back I haven't wanted to go bowling here. I tried finding her a 5-pin alley where you have a small ball and 5-pins but they don't have that here like in Canada! sheesh. Since I haven't found the girlyman bowling I've tried to teach her snooker, which is also hard to find down here. What's with you guys.

Well, they do have the manly sport of Curling in the great white north :)

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Here in the northeast we have Ten Pin, Candle Pin and Duck Pin, The Duck pins look just like the Ten pins only smaller and the balls are the same size as the Candle Pins, small.

metalhed

Enlightened
Before elbow tendinitis ended my 'career' (an exaggerated term, for sure), I carried as high as a 204 book average. I guess I bowled for almost twenty years total...even worked in a bowling alley for a couple of years. Won some small tournaments, made as much as $1000.00 in a single day...but spent far more on equipment and lane-time.

Great sport really, at least it was. I started before all the 'reactive' ball technology emerged in the late 80's and early 90's. when I first joined a league in 1977, a pro-quality bowler carried a 190 and above (generally speaking).

When I stopped about five years ago, we had guys in our local league carrying 230+ averages. Different equipment, different game.

But the game is still great way to work the mind and the old adage is true; bowling is 10% physical and 90% mental. Once you master the mechanics, you improve by mastering your mind.

I miss it, but that's life.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suck at bowling but my one claim to fame is that I onced bowled a turkey (three consecutive strikes) with the little pins (is that candle pins?). That might have been the only time I ever got over a hundred. No one has ever bowled a perfect game with candlepin, correct?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Man! Bowling sure is fun. Last time I did was about 10 years ago though. . .Following the SEMICON West Show.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I didn't even know there were different kinds of balls, pins, and games!

I do good if I get over 100. I think 120 something was my highest.

We have a bowling alley on campus which makes it a easy walk from my dorms.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be a bowling addict before I found CPF and the rest is, as they say, history. I couldn't afford to maintain both hobbies so it's pretty obvious which one I abandoned.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Today my legs hurt a lot. Twice last night I crashed when my lead foot slipped out from under me. I spent a LOT of the rest of the night trying NOT to fall again.

I had similar leg pain after a service call where the floor was slick with graphite....

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never knew how you score it, but I could get 8 strikes and two spares out of a ten frame set. I use to bowl backwards on top of that.

I use to play it in rehab. Most local rehab centers have a lane or two bowling alleys and are always looking for volunteers to help out.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I must be getting used to it. After last monday it took several days to feel good squatting etc.

Today I pretty much feel fine.

Back in the late 80s when I last bowled, I carried a roughly 165 Avg. With several 200+ games to my credit. I even had a 600 series pendant before we moved.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier this week . . .

bowling1.jpg

Powernoodle Jr. shows off Powernoodle style . . .

bowling2.jpg

. . . and Powernoodle skill.

Screehopper

Enlightened
I just bowl for fun. I usually range from 110-140. Personal high was 173 by sheer luck.

About half a year ago I finally picked up bowling shoes so I no longer have to rent. Those $2-4 shoe rentals add up in the long run. I should of bought my own shoes sooner.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I used to go bowling in the 1970s and 1980s - even wanted my own bowling ball custom-drilled when I was approximately ten. I played in the only bowling alley in my town - Channel Bowl in Juneau AK.

I think my high game was just below 200.

Since I ended up in the wheelchair in the early-1990s, I have not bowled.